My new KLH 23's

Shacky

I've been on the lookout for a pair of 23's since Andy extolled the KLH quality factor to me when I bought my AR 2AX's from him several years ago. A fellow AK'er in Michaigan Goodwill HiFi sold me his pair and they are absolutely gorgeous and sound incredible!

Here they are next to some Klipsch Forte's I picked up for a tube project I have going.

IMGP9244.jpg

I've been on the lookout for a pair of 23's since Andy extolled the KLH quality factor to me when I bought my AR 2AX's from him several years ago. A fellow AK'er in Michaigan Goodwill HiFi sold me his pair and they are absolutely gorgeous and sound incredible!

Here they are next to some Klipsch Forte's I picked up for a tube project I have going.

Nice! I wonder how these compare to the 17s. The KLH history in the library does not give the driver specs, but looking at photos, they sorta look like the 17.

I'm finishing up a Model Seventeen restoration now. Bought them for $25 and thought I got a deal, but the cabinets were a MESS. Considered parting them out, but wound up filling the chips and corner bashes with John O'Hanlon's magic brown epoxy. They don't look bad. Replaced the caps with new film caps and am working on the grille cloth (they had thick cat-scratched black cloth OVER the original linen--also cat scratched, over the original sheer black cloth). Fired them up yesterday and they sound GREAT! Really amazing for relatively small 2-way boxes.

Anyway, enjoy the Twenty-Threes! Do you still have the AR 2ax's and have you compared them to the 23s?

Kent

Nice! I wonder how these compare to the 17s. The KLH history in the library does not give the driver specs, but looking at photos, they sorta look like the 17.

I'm finishing up a Model Seventeen restoration now. Bought them for $25 and thought I got a deal, but the cabinets were a MESS. Considered parting them out, but wound up filling the chips and corner bashes with John O'Hanlon's magic brown epoxy. They don't look bad. Replaced the caps with new film caps and am working on the grille cloth (they had thick cat-scratched black cloth OVER the original linen--also cat scratched, over the original sheer black cloth). Fired them up yesterday and they sound GREAT! Really amazing for relatively small 2-way boxes.

Anyway, enjoy the Twenty-Threes! Do you still have the AR 2ax's and have you compared them to the 23s?

Kent

Still have the 2AX but alas a tweeter stopped working. I have a spare set but just haven't had the time to get into them. When I do I plan to also replace the pots with some Ohmites I picked up on ebay. I bought a lot of 10 Ohmites.

The 23's are very nice. The sames tweeter as the 17, 6, etc but with the woofer from the 5. I'm thrilled with their sound. I had my AR 3a's in rotation before them and while they don't go as low as the 3a's they put out great bass. Very smooth mids and highs. Could just be my new favorite though I say that again and again and always come back to my 3a's.

The KLH 23 are certainly easier to drive. They sound quite nice with my Fisher 7591 console iron but the bass comes alove with the Sui 9090DB.

I purchased these from Goodwill HiFi on AudioKarma. They are in great unmolested shape. From what I'm gathering many are almost ruining KLH and other

NE cloth surround woofers with incorrect sealant. These have not been redoped and sound excellent as is.

I'm temped to recap but like I said they sound so nice I don't want to mess up a good thing.

I've seen Adny refer to the 23's as his favorite KLH 2 way. I've been looking for a nice pair for a long long time.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I A-Bed a pair of completely restored AR-2axs with a pair of minty KLH 6s this evening. I've also had KLH 5s and 17s at my place, and currently have a pair of AR3as here with one tweeter out, due to the typical AR pot problems. I'm wondering if I should start a new thread with a catchy title like "KLH 6 v. AR-2ax: the Shootout!" or just post our findings here. My hunch is that the 23 would sound a lot like the KLH 6 but with a tad more deep bass. If so, they would be very good speakers. I also just bought a pair of KLH 24s and am in process of refinishing them. Along with Dynaco A-10s and ADS 400s, they are among my favorite really small speakers. Should I post my "shootout" results here? Or start a nerw thread? I'll try to attach a picture of a pair of KLH 6s I recently refinished and see what happens.

post-101929-1262078793.jpg

Still have the 2AX but alas a tweeter stopped working. I have a spare set but just haven't had the time to get into them. When I do I plan to also replace the pots with some Ohmites I picked up on ebay. I bought a lot of 10 Ohmites.

The 23's are very nice. The sames tweeter as the 17, 6, etc but with the woofer from the 5. I'm thrilled with their sound. I had my AR 3a's in rotation before them and while they don't go as low as the 3a's they put out great bass. Very smooth mids and highs. Could just be my new favorite though I say that again and again and always come back to my 3a's.

The KLH 23 are certainly easier to drive. They sound quite nice with my Fisher 7591 console iron but the bass comes alove with the Sui 9090DB.

I purchased these from Goodwill HiFi on AudioKarma. They are in great unmolested shape. From what I'm gathering many are almost ruining KLH and other

NE cloth surround woofers with incorrect sealant. These have not been redoped and sound excellent as is.

I'm temped to recap but like I said they sound so nice I don't want to mess up a good thing.

I've seen Adny refer to the 23's as his favorite KLH 2 way. I've been looking for a nice pair for a long long time.

Archived