AR Powered Partners

npt3

I was lucky enough to find a nice pair of these on eBay (with the carrying bag!) and am looking forward to using them for my LP-->WAV monitoring (and tailgating!). They're pretty awesome speakers.

I need to track down information on the accessories, though (for said weekend tailgating) - I know AR made some kind of D cell holder, and a DC adaptor. Anyone have an original manual scan, or better yet, some kind of source or leads on these accessories?

Thanks, I've seen that! I probably wasn't precise enough - I'm looking for an actual AR manual for the Partners, and some illustrative information (e.g., pix ) on the D cell holder, and the DC adaptor (the latter in particular since a pair of Partners would appear to need a DC power lead to each speaker).

I had a pair of these briefly. Found them at the Sal. They needed to be refoamed and the RCA jacks were bad but I sold them at a profit. Anyway... they plug in to AC. I think the removal cord is a pretty standard item if it is missing no biggie. The DC was so people could put them in their vans in the groovy 70s.

Here is the Advent Powered Partners owner's manual. Think it's the same except the Advents are shielded to use with a CRT

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/AV570_Manual.pdf

Kent

I had a pair of these briefly. Found them at the Sal. They needed to be refoamed and the RCA jacks were bad but I sold them at a profit. Anyway... they plug in to AC. I think the removal cord is a pretty standard item if it is missing no biggie. The DC was so people could put them in their vans in the groovy 70s.

Here is the Advent Powered Partners owner's manual. Think it's the same except the Advents are shielded to use with a CRT

http://www.audiovox.com/manuals/owners/AV570_Manual.pdf

Kent

I would be keen to hear from Powered Partners owners who either have the DC (car) adaptor and/or the battery pack. I know these original accessories will be nearly impossible to find, but that generic 12V rechargeables and replacement car adaptors are plentiful; so I'll have to "roll my own", which I can handle, but don't want to eff it up. If people have made working replacements on their own, or have scans or pix of the originals, I'd be appreciative!

Nick

• 5 weeks later...

I now have two pair (:-o), a mint pair of originals with the cloth grill (rawr!) and a second gen pair with the perforated metal grilles.

Are the cloth grilles removable? I tried to pry it off like the metal ones, and think they mount in the same way, but it didn't seem to budge, so I gave up rather than wreck it.

I'd still like to find out how to make/locate the DC (car) adaptor and/or the battery pack. I know these original accessories will be nearly impossible to find, but that generic 12V rechargeables and replacement car adaptors are plentiful. If people have made working replacements on their own, or have scans or pix of the originals, I'd be appreciative!

Nick

I was lucky enough to find a nice pair of these on eBay (with the carrying bag!) and am looking forward to using them for my LP-->WAV monitoring (and tailgating!). They're pretty awesome speakers.

I need to track down information on the accessories, though (for said weekend tailgating) - I know AR made some kind of D cell holder, and a DC adaptor. Anyone have an original manual scan, or better yet, some kind of source or leads on these accessories?

There should be a voltage and polarity marking on the external power supply input. It should not be very hard to find an aftermarket supply. Rat Shack has some very decent and inexpensive inverters. Then you could run the speakers off 120V from your car cig outlet.

-k

Thanks, JK and KK!

I'm betting that "14V" was chosen so that speakers could be plugged directly into a "12V" car system, with just a connector cable, no inverter, transformer, etc, required. Modern car electrical systems run at 13.6V, and the PP's will work fine at 12V anyway, so you should be good to go. Just observe polarity, and use a fused cig adapter plug. (Almost all are.)

-k

• 10 months later...
I'm betting that "14V" was chosen so that speakers could be plugged directly into a "12V" car system, with just a connector cable, no inverter, transformer, etc, required. Modern car electrical systems run at 13.6V, and the PP's will work fine at 12V anyway, so you should be good to go. Just observe polarity, and use a fused cig adapter plug. (Almost all are.)

-k

Just a quick followup to say KK was right on the money (of course), and that it's pretty easy with off-the-rack stuff from the Shack: a two-receptacle 12v adapter (Model:270-039), two power adapters (Model:270-042), which plug right into each PP no problem and with the correct polarity. I ran them on Saturday at a tailgate party off of a Black&Decker Electromate 400, and pretty loudly, for 3 hours without draining the Electromate. :-D

Archived