Recent AR4x prices!

mrbruce4

Johnieo - Thanks for trying to bring discussion back to my question. I wondered where the thread went and am now familiar with the "kitchen".

To expand a little on my original question and comment - I am routinely listening to KLH 17 and KLH 5 sets as well as the AR4X. All have been recapped, by me, as a result of different forum members encouragement. As expected, each has something of a different characteristic sound, which is also affected by use of different vintage receivers. The 17s and the 4Xs are both driven right now by a Marantz 25. Switching between them lets the differences show through, but both are pleasant.

My original comment was a result of my surprise that the 4X are routinely selling for what seems like 3 and 4 times what I (vaguely) recall they sold for a year ago. Admittedly, I don't watch all prices closely, but it hasn't seemed that KLH, to name one only as an example, are routinely selling for multiples of prices from a year ago.

I think all of these speakers, as well as other brands on CSP, are good values compared to many of the new speakers. (I have stacked Advents that I like as well.) Probably all of them can be made better through mods. What I was looking for was any insight into why, or even whether, the AR4X seems to have spiked in value.

Bruce

It's always interesting to watch this kind of thing. It's hard to know exactly what factors influence the value of collectible items from moment to moment. I've watched guitars and cars do the same thing spontaneously. Could be a psychological feedback thing: if one seller randomly gets a higher price on an item, word spreads, and other buyers and sellers jump into the market. Eventually, demand drops, or a pressured seller drops the price, and the cycle cools.

As to the relative value of classic speakers, of course, almost by definition. These are products that have proven their consumer value, while their lesser contemporaries are gone. There might be equally good, or perhaps better, modern products, (or not). But, these modern products are buried somewhere in the landscape of opinion. promotion, distribution and advertising.

-k

Could be a psychological feedback thing: if one seller randomly gets a higher price on an item, word spreads, and other buyers and sellers jump into the market. Eventually, demand drops, or a pressured seller drops the price, and the cycle cools.

-k

I agree Ken. I am convinced psychology is a dominant factor in e-bay prices. Prices may not continually increase, but may exhibit cyclic behavior? I saw a pair of 4x go for almost 500 to an overseas buyer a few years ago; a few 200-250 and many in the range 80-150 after that episode.

Some years ago I needed 4x tweeters. I watched as a half dozen people bid a pair to 39. Too much. We waited a week and found a pair listed at 9.95. Purchased at last second--only bidder. "Herd mentality?" ... "everyone wants them, they must be worth a lot." ... no one is bidding on these, they must have a problem"? Cabinet condition, of course is visible.

As we noted long ago: "ya get more for your horse when someone really wants one. We never know how many people are looking at a given time.

cheers,

John

I agree Ken. I am convinced psychology is a dominant factor in e-bay prices. Prices may not continually increase, but may exhibit cyclic behavior? I saw a pair of 4x go for almost 500 to an overseas buyer a few years ago; a few 200-250 and many in the range 80-150 after that episode.

Some years ago I needed 4x tweeters. I watched as a half dozen people bid a pair to 39. Too much. We waited a week and found a pair listed at 9.95. Purchased at last second--only bidder. "Herd mentality?" ... "everyone wants them, they must be worth a lot." ... no one is bidding on these, they must have a problem"? Cabinet condition, of course is visible.

As we noted long ago: "ya get more for your horse when someone really wants one. We never know how many people are looking at a given time.

cheers,

John

I just thought of another speculation: in good economic times, sellers are motivated to clear stuff out, make room. If a low selling price moves the goods quickly, that's a strong incentive. However, in bad times, you get a larger percentage of sellers who have a financial motivation; they want/need/hope to make some bucks off of their spare audio gear.

-k

PS- Sheesh, how did this wind up in the "kitchen," too??? (Don't answer that, or at least two posters are likely to jump in with unsolicited opinions...) I think the pantry would have been sufficient.

All the factors stated contribute to the high prices. The very existence of ebay has catapulted the prices of many items, and to a smaller degree, present economic times. Ebay is only an indicator of ebay however.

Present economic times may be freeing up a lot more AR-4x than normally would have been available, and perhaps if only word of mouth advertising, yard sale or thrift shops are involved, the bargains are there. I have never found a working PAIR of AR-4x, but I did find a beat to hell one at a yard sale for $1 about three years ago, and it worked perfectly, with a surround that appeared as operational as the day it was made. Sooner or later I'll find a pair for $2. I've found fully functional A-25 for $3/pair, and I need a goal, so $2/pair AR-4x it is, unless I can find 6's or 7's for $2/pair. Nobody should feel compelled to post a graph of how bad A-25's sound, for $3/pair, I'll live with any shortcomings.

Certain interaction lately prompted me to look at my join-date on this forum. I nearly fell over. It certainly doesn't seem like close to ten years, but I guess it has been. That being stated, I find it interesting that we never NEEDED a "Kitchen" until recent times, and could easily do without it. Maybe we have needed one before, and I just didn't participate enough here to realize it, but I don't think that's the case.

I don't post as much as some people. I love to sit back and learn more about these speakers we all (almost all) hold in high esteem. I also enjoyed this forum very much due to the high level of civility and respect shown each other. Recent goings on are a real drag however.

What I was looking for was any insight into why, or even whether, the AR4X seems to have spiked in value.

HMPH! So much for the spike. Trying to clear out some of the clutter in my rec room, and encouraged by Bruce's observation, I put a nice pair on you-know-where with a reserve of 175. Bidding never got above 108 ;)

Kent

Archived