KL33: two or three way speakers?

joany

Hi,

Can someone explain why KLH33 photo show (a woofer and ) two metal protections: are this protections for mid range and tweeter? the classical library says that KLH 33 is a two way speaker ! I don't understand...

Thanks if you can help.

Regards

Hi,

Can someone explain why KLH33 photo show (a woofer and ) two metal protections: are this protections for mid range and tweeter? the c library says that KLH 33 is a two way speaker ! I don't understand...

Thanks if you can help.

Regards

The model 33 is a two way with one woofer and one tweeter which is a vented bass reflex speaker, not an acoustic suspension design. The vent should be to the right of the tweeter. The 33 is a nice speaker which went for about $200 a pair in 1970. Production was pretty low...check your serial number ***It has a cabinet design like the model 5.

It was out of the norm for KLH to make a vented speaker in the early 1970's. They made a few in the early 1960's...the models 14, 14B, 15, & 19.

thanks a lot, Andy for this precious informations.

Another questions, please , before buying the KLH33 speakers:

-As vented speakers, KLH 33 are as good ( neutral and smooth quality sound, not so "dynamic and brilliant"), as KLH6 and KLH 17 for example?

-There is something curious: i read in bostonsociety.org, an article by Peter W. Mitchell on speaker efficiecy where it is said:

SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL / APPROXIMATE POWER FOR 100 db

KLH6 / 87 / 20W

KLH17 / 88 / 16W

KLH33 / 85 / 30W

It means curious ( on the paper ) that a vented speakers needs more power for less sound pressure ie, is less efficient!

-Finally my KLH6 has a 10"" woofer , so the KLH 6 and 17 have the same woofers and tweeters (?): may ask you if you think it is t the case for KLH 33 ?

Thanks again

Regards

thanks a lot, Andy for this precious informations.

Another questions, please , before buying the KLH33 speakers:

-As vented speakers, KLH 33 are as good ( neutral and smooth quality sound, not so "dynamic and brilliant"), as KLH6 and KLH 17 for example?

-There is something curious: i read in bostonsociety.org, an article by Peter W. Mitchell on speaker efficiecy where it is said:

SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL / APPROXIMATE POWER FOR 100 db

KLH6 / 87 / 20W

KLH17 / 88 / 16W

KLH33 / 85 / 30W

It means curious ( on the paper ) that a vented speakers needs more power for less sound pressure ie, is less efficient!

-Finally my KLH6 has a 10"" woofer , so the KLH 6 and 17 have the same woofers and tweeters (?): may ask you if you think it is t the case for KLH 33 ?

Thanks again

Regards

I don't really know about the sound pressure-power specs you mention .....it may very well be that the 33's need a bit more power. The 33's are one of the few KLH models that I have never owned. They really should be a neutral and smooth loudspeker as in the tradition of the 6's, 17's, etc. KLH was still very concerned with making quality speakers in the early 1970's, it was not until about 1976 that they took a nose dive. I don't know what the asking price is on the 33's you're looking at, but they really should be a nice example from KLH's glory days. As I mentioned, you don't see a lot of them out there like you see the 6's, 17's, 20's which have serial numbers reaching close to 200,000 on each model. I'll bet the 33's have a # below 50,000. If you buy them, let us know that the serial number is.

The models 6 and 17 have different woofers....the magnet structure on the 6 is heavier and they can handle more power, as well as being able to reach lower in bass response.

An even more powerful woofer is found in models 5,12 & 23.....these have a huge magnet structure......like 8 lbs. :blink: I'm a big fan of the model 23, KLH's best two-way speaker ! What's interesting is that the 23 is a sleeper in the marketplace - often selling for much less then the 17's or even the much smaller model 22's or 24's with the 8 inch woofer.

Go ahead, make our economy rebound...buy the 33's ;)

Andy

"I'm a big fan of the model 23, KLH's best two-way speaker ! What's interesting is that the 23 is a sleeper in the marketplace - often selling for much less then the 17's or even the much smaller model 22's or 24's with the 8 inch woofer."

A little humorous 'inside info' from an old-timer:

I remember talking to Victor Campos (head of KLH's product development at the time of the 23) about the 23's beginnings. He said that Henry (Kloss) came to him and said, "We need something better than the 6 but less expensive than the 5. What can we do?"

Victor said to him, "What do you want me to do, Henry? F***-up the 5?"

"Yes, f***-up the 5! That'll do it!"

So that is how the idea for the 23 was born.

The 23 ended up being a very nice speaker. But this story--in Victor's own words--has stayed with me all these years, because it was just so darned amusing.

"Outsiders' often think that the great speaker designers of the '50's-'60's-'70's at those great companies took everything they did OH-SO-SERIOUSLY, like they were doing the work of Angels or something.

Not so. They were just ordinary people (ok, REALLY SMART ordinary people) with sarcastic senses of humor, just like the rest of us.

Steve F.

"I'm a big fan of the model 23, KLH's best two-way speaker ! What's interesting is that the 23 is a sleeper in the marketplace - often selling for much less then the 17's or even the much smaller model 22's or 24's with the 8 inch woofer."

A little humorous 'inside info' from an old-timer:

I remember talking to Victor Campos (head of KLH's product development at the time of the 23) about the 23's beginnings. He said that Henry (Kloss) came to him and said, "We need something better than the 6 but less expensive than the 5. What can we do?"

Victor said to him, "What do you want me to do, Henry? F***-up the 5?"

"Yes, f***-up the 5! That'll do it!"

So that is how the idea for the 23 was born.

The 23 ended up being a very nice speaker. But this story--in Victor's own words--has stayed with me all these years, because it was just so darned amusing.

"Outsiders' often think that the great speaker designers of the '50's-'60's-'70's at those great companies took everything they did OH-SO-SERIOUSLY, like they were doing the work of Angels or something.

Not so. They were just ordinary people (ok, REALLY SMART ordinary people) with sarcastic senses of humor, just like the rest of us.

Steve F.

Steve,

Thanks for sharing that story about the 23's not so scientific development, it makes me like my pair more. It's an important point you make about the folks at AR, KLH, etc.....they were interesting people with personality, not buttoned down technitions in labs coats. Yes, as you said...they were indeed SMART, but they did not take themselves too seriously, but did do what it took to make a good speaker seriously right from the start back in 1957, like setting up a paper-making lab and equipment to make speaker cones (very few other companies were doing this).

It's very interesting, in the Lander interveiw with Henry Kloss in 1996, one really gets a sense of Henry's wondering thought process, but with a goal in mind...always open to ideas, even ideas which didn't make a whole lot of sense. The office door was open in the early days, tech mindeed folks would come off the steet to share their ideas.

Making millions was not the goal, but that ended up happening because the products stood out when compared to what others were making. Henry's words say it best - " It was idealism...cleverness in the tooling, vertical integration of the manufacturing. And selling things for less then they should have been sold for, like all the products of KLH, the starting prices were low and they never went up."

I wish Tivoli Audio had decided to stick with this concept......they increased prices on their line of radios by insane levels, like 40, 50, 60 percent ;) In my opinion they took a great and unique product and destroyed the reason for bringing it to market in the first place after Henry passed away in 2002. Maybe someone at Tivoli will read this post and bring it up at a board meeting ? Models 1,2 & 3 were after all, Henry's last contribution to the audio world !

Andy

Hi,

Can someone explain why KLH33 photo show (a woofer and ) two metal protections: are this protections for mid range and tweeter? the classical library says that KLH 33 is a two way speaker ! I don't understand...

Thanks if you can help.

Regards

Hi

Check out the manual in the Library for an explanation of the port:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library.../klh_33_manual/

Kent

Archived