AR-18 grilles: need help

knife edge

Hi everyone,

my AR-18 are without the original grilles, and I want to rebuild them. So I need indication or "plans" to do the grills support (if I remember well the Ar-18 grills have angled borders, right?).

Any help? :)

thanks

Andrew

Hi Andrew

I'm not familiar with the 18s so may be talking thru my hat :( but here is a good how-to:

http://www.humanspeakers.com/howto/grill.htm

There is also a link there on installing knit grille cloth. He is not much help on what glue to use. I recommend Alene's Tacky Glue (from craft store, WalMart, fabric stoes etc). It is water based,like Elmer's glue, but tacky (duh) and it works quite well on speaker cloth.

You can get plastic frame kits from Parts Express and/or Madisound.

I think the 18 had black knit grille cloth, right? For speakers with linen cloth, the AR3a restoration manual in the Library section is a good resource.

Good luck

Kent

my AR-18 are without the original grilles, and I want to rebuild them. So I need indication or "plans" to do the grills support (if I remember well the Ar-18 grills have angled borders, right?).

Only a slight bevel, not anything like the common 70's foam grills. If you check ebay seller "vintage-ar," Larry is making both foam and fabric grills for the 10pi. The pictures on his listings for the foam grill will give you a pretty good idea what the bevel should be like and the ones on the fabric show how he makes flat grilles and spaces them away from the drivers.

Archived