AR-4x question

Guest rek 2-3-4

Guest rek 2-3-4

Hi, I'm new on this forum. I have my AR-2ax pair I bought new in 1974. I have recently acquired pairs of AR-4x and AR-3a.

In resealing the woofers on my AR-4s, I noticed that I could see through the surrounds and they appear to be fabric. I didn't know that the 4s had fabric surrounds?

Since I can see through them, I'm assuming that air will move through them handily. I further assume that I can remedy this with PERMATEX HIGH TACK gasket sealant mentioned in the AR-3a restoration manual?

Did the 4x come with cloth surrounds?

Can I safely use the gasket sealant as described in the AR-3a resto manual.

Thanks!

Since I can see through them, I'm assuming that air will move through them handily. I further assume that I can remedy this with PERMATEX HIGH TACK gasket sealant mentioned in the AR-3a restoration manual?

Thanks!

All 4x woofers, except for some of the units made at the end of its production run, used cloth surrounds. In order to prevent the Permatex from increasing the self resonant frequency of the driver it should be applied sparingly in a very thin coat. Parts of the surround through which light does not pass need not be coated. A stiff-bristle glue brush is excellent. You may even consider thinning a small quantity of it a bit with acetone or lacquer thinner. The freshly applied liquid will evaporate its volatile fragments quickly; it is best applied outside and dried for a few minutes before bringing in your residence.

Cheers,

Thanks!

WELCOME!

I can tell you the 4x definitely came with cloth surrounds. I have a pair that I bought new in 1969 or 70, Serial numbers FX262692 & FX262765 and they are cloth. See-thru, too. I have not tried resealing them but I'm sure that if you follow the directions in the manual you'll be fine. Also, if you were not already planning to, I would highly recommend new 20uF caps and either new L-pads or clean up the pots (but L-pads are perfect for the 4x).

Good luck!

Kent

PS-- I see John snuck his reply in while I was typing. Listen to him--he's the editor of the restoration manual.

K

Guest rek 2-3-4

Thank you, I appreciate the advice.

I replaced the L-pads earlier this year. I didn't notice the transparency of the surrounds at that time (cloudy day?).

I have the recommended gasket sealer on hand, but it sure is high viscosity! I'll get some acetone or lacquer thinner at the hardware store before proceeding. I assume I only have to apply it to the outside of the surrounds?

(Many years ago I ripped off the data sheets on my AR-2ax's, for no real reason other than wanting a "bare back". :) My first ARs were AR-4xa's that I sold to buy the 2ax's. Those 4s replaced my Electro-Voice Aristocrats that were a tad bulky to move around the world.)

So, I'll try the coating process tomorrow.

I'll be needing help on my recently acquired AR-3a's in the very near future. Subjectively, it seems to me that my AR-2ax's put out more bass than the 3a's. Further testing is needed.

"Subjectively, it seems to me that my AR-2ax's put out more bass than the 3a's. "

When you get the 3As refurbished they will correct that impression! :)

Guest rek 2-3-4

I bought the PERMATEX HIGH TACK GASKET SEALANT and practiced application on a blue shop paper towel this morning. It was easy to apply and went on smoothly and evenly. I didn't add or mix any acetone, I just applied it straight out of the can.

It's still tacky seven hours later. Does it ever solidfy or does it stay tacky forever? Or, is the paper towel test invalid? Or, does the acetone help it become non-tacky?

I bought the PERMATEX HIGH TACK GASKET SEALANT and practiced application on a blue shop paper towel this morning. It was easy to apply and went on smoothly and evenly. I didn't add or mix any acetone, I just applied it straight out of the can.

It's still tacky seven hours later. Does it ever solidfy or does it stay tacky forever? Or, is the paper towel test invalid? Or, does the acetone help it become non-tacky?

It will stay tacky for a very long time. It's supposed to, which is why it has the name 'high tack' Apply a think coat on your textile woofer surrounds and enjoy your speakers.

It will stay tacky for a very long time. It's supposed to, which is why it has the name 'high tack' Apply a think coat on your textile woofer surrounds and enjoy your speakers.

I applied the Permatex High Tack on a pair of AR-4x's a few weeks ago, and its still sticky. But, it REALLY made them sound a great bit tighter. I was impressed with the improvement in the sound.

I did, just brush it on "right out of the can" and am ready to try it out on another set of AR-4x's (thinking of thinning it a little, though.....was kinda tricky getting a thin coat on the surrounds).

Archived