AR 2AX - yet again my favorite

Shacky

So why do I even try other speakers :blink:

This rotation it was JBL L-36 (very nice), re-visiting my KLH 6 (in my top 3), back to my EPI 201's (wife love's looks). Then I put my AR 2AX's back in rotation. This is not a speaker that jumps out at you. If fact at first it sounds a little bland and I can see why some move on - I almost did when I first bought them.

But these older version 2AX's get "more right" (as Kloss said about KLH Model 6) than any other speaker I've had. Lot's of great sounding midrange - mostly coming from that gorgeous 11 inch woofer - corssover is 2,000 hz so it's realy more like a two way with a super tweeter. And that old tweeter (from the model 3) is very pleasing to my ears. Bass that's deeper than any of my speakers and more tuneful too. Bass players should own this speaker to hear what they really sound like.

Been listening to a lot of latin jazz lately. Michael Franks (big Jobim fan), Jack Jezzro, Acoustic Alchemy, Marc Antoine. Have a Barnes and Nobles gift certificate and going out later to pick up Jobim's Wave and Getz/Gilberto which I've been meaning to get.

My top 3 speakers are AR 2AX - Dynaco A-25 - KLH 6. So why do I have about a dozen pairs of speakers in every corner of my house :unsure:

Can't thank Andy enough for turning me on to AR's :D

IMGP1139.jpg

IMGP1142.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JagHond

Hello to everybody, a newbye of this Forum here.

After having read yours above, Shacky, I think that I'd better to start looking around a little and see if I'm lucky enough and get a pair of them.

Hello to everybody, a newbye of this Forum here.

After having read yours above, Shacky, I think that I'd better to start looking around a little and see if I'm lucky enough and get a pair of them.

Welcome JagHond!

Nice thing about the 2ax is they are not "that" popular (compared to the 3a for example) and they are often available. Nice ones go for under $200 on ebay or craigslist (but unless they are close by, shipping can really add up), and they do turn up in yard sales and thrift shops for next to nothing. I paid $15 for my 1st pair, but had to refoam the woofers, replace the caps, refinish the cabinets, replace the grille cloth and logos. But it was fun and for about $100 I had some terrific speakers. They're in a local electronics parts store now on consignment.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library...res_from_jkent/

My current pair are the "older" ones Shacky likes. The fried egg tweeters tend to pop their corks, but I replaced them with later version 2ax tweeters. Great speakers. Photos of that project are here:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...?showtopic=4466

Good luck!

Kent

Guest JagHond

Hello, Kent, and thanks for your warm welcome.

I've read many posts by you in the last two months as a guest and always appreciated your point of view, to tell the truth.

I've thought several months ago about purchasing or not a pair of 2ax, always admitted if I would be able to find out a pair... but just seemed I've found and I got it.

Of course you were right about the shipping charges, they're almost obscene for how much money they're pretending today.

Enough, to keep this story short, I've paid almost 469 Euros for a decent set (oh well, keep fingers crossed, huh?) of AR2ax and so I'm satisfying the wish since I was a teen and I used to listen classical and rock music in a records and HiFi shop in Rome a pair of LST driven by a Galactron pre and a Phase Linear solid state final amp.

I still remember well their sound, never appreciated the PLs since then - maybe Harman Kardons could do better (but I never had the chance to listen them in a decent way), sure McIntosh did as so their tube units.

This said, I've found out my first AR on eBay - I trusted the seller's declaration about the work he made to make them new again. I'm going to have them within the next two weeks, and I'm hoping all things wil go fine since the first moment.

Ah, a last thing: just can't believe to my eyes, a Forum full of men (and women, I think) of good will and better feelings... so the best to you all, you really deserved it.

And thanks again for your wise advise.

Gianni

Ciao Gianni

Sorry I did not notice you were in Italy--no cheap ARs at garage sales there!

Ouch! That's $727 USD :(

I hope the speakers you bought are delivered safe and sound, and that they are everything you hope they will be. Happy listening!

Kent

• 3 weeks later...
Guest JagHond
Ciao Gianni

Sorry I did not notice you were in Italy--no cheap ARs at garage sales there!

Ouch! That's $727 USD :(

I hope the speakers you bought are delivered safe and sound, and that they are everything you hope they will be. Happy listening!

Kent

Ciao, Kent.

Nice to see that my language is not that underground hit I guessed to be until now :)

Yes, they won't come cheap... they have still to be delivered to my home, the only thing I was able to know about is that they were shipped on a freight at JFK airport on the last May 30th... it was good that the guy who sold me them let me to track their course.

Not to mention I'm literally awaiting to get them and listen to waht they're till able to make.

The same guy above assured me they're in order, refurbished in some particular... quite as new, in short.

He seemed to be reliable, don't know what I should tell more about also because this was the very fisrt time I was in business with him. So I'm also keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that all will go out fine as well.

Well, I'll let you know further as soon as I can.

Ciao e stammi bene (oops, Bye and take care),

Gianni

Gianni--

This is off-topic, but what is the identity of the aircraft near your name? It's too small for me to see it clearly. At first, I thought it was a Reggiane R.E.2000 Falco. Then I thought it might be the Fiat G.50 Freccia, but the wing characteristics of your little aircraft do not seem to match either of these exactly.

Just curious.

Best regards,

Steve F.

Guest JagHond

Hi, Steve.

Glad to have found a competent fellow aircraft fan here also... so do you know more than enough about Axis' propeller planes, don't you?

Or are you fond of history? Well, anyway it goes, my congratulations to your sharp eyes. Let me unveil that I've chosen that avatar only because it was the only of my taste about planes, my not too secret passion :):lol:

Sorry, I just don't think it may be a Reggiane or a Fiat, also because itas shape of wings might recall a newest type, more probably a carrier based from your Country manifacturers to my opinion. It has lot in common to the Hellcat, but with those wings ... :(

Interesting matter, isn't it?

I'm returning the regards,

Gianni, a.k.a. JagHond (also my nick has a history in it ;) )

Guest JagHond

Dear Kent,

those 2axs I've bought came to my home yesterday in the afternoon... they were in that same condition the seller promised they were both, and the package was simply superb.

Their sound is... gorgeous, I can't find any other way to describe it right now. I can believe well that they are the favorite pals for many good listening people in your Country and not only there.

On my side, I can tell only that a dream of my younghood became true - to be an AR owner one day, I mean.

I'm going to taste Vivaldi's "L'Estro armonico" concertos this afternoon, they will be driven by my Sansui AU-9900. I'm also curious to see what my 6550 tube amp would think about. :rolleyes:

And I don't think that this honeymoon will end with a divorce, most of all. :lol:

Thank you a lot for your kind advises,

Jaghond.

Guest Johnny Salami

I'm probably going over old ground telling you to check out Flora Purim and/or Cesaria Evora. And 1960s Chicago Soul, greatly influenced by Curtis Mayfield, had a strong Latin flavor. Check out these artists (Mayfield shows up under the Impressions) at B&N. And if you're in Syracuse, ask for Pat, one of my ex-wives. She works there and will probably give you the discount she would have given me if I hadn't burned her up so many times. Just tell her her Lovin' Daddy sent you. After she throws a couple of books she'll set you up for her 30% off.

post-103238-1213558626.jpg

Guest JagHond

You have good tastes, Johnny Salami, I've heard some by Flora Purim and I liked them... but I'm afraid I'm more on the classical side, even if I love jazz as well. I'm not speaking of "audiophile" recordings, of course, I don't believe in that stuff so much.

About one thing I'm sure: my former speakers (a pair of Spendor S20, modified in their bookshelves) weren't able to give me the same feelings the ARs did, and this with the solid state (in all sense) amplification given by my Sansui... the difference became heavy, though, when I turned on the tube amp, because the "old" ARs outperformed the "younger" Spendors. Playing Mozart gave the same results, even with the limitations of the live recording I own taken in a famous Palladio's teather in Vicenza, Italy.

Concertgebouw's time is coming soon... ;)

Jaghond

Archived