LSTs available on the 'Bay

Guest pbda

If anyone's interested, there's a pair of LSTs for sale on eBay. Item number is 230245804764.

They're not mine. You'd have to pry mine from my cold, dead hands.

HELLO TO ALL, THEY ARE AT $1,009.99 THIS MORNING , LOOKS LIKE THERE'S A RUNAWAY BIDDER ON THE LOOSE ON THAT ONE, MY QUESTION I'M PUTTING OUT THERE IS THIS, WOULD THERE BE ANY GAIN SONICALLY IF I WERE TO HAVE LST SPEAKERS, I'VE NEVER HEARD THEM , MY CURRENT SETUP INCLUDES 4 AR3A'S AND 4 KLH MODEL 12'S POWERED BY 2 MAC MC-275 AMPS, A MAC 4100 RECEIVER AND A MAC 4280 RECEIVER (POWER AMPS ONLY ON THE LATTER) RUN BY A MAC C-28. THE LST IS SO DAMN RARE TO SEE FOR SALE I GUESS IF NEED BE I COULD FIND A WAY, I NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU GUYS, IT'S TAKEN MANY MOONS TO GET THIS SYSTEM WHERE IT IS TODAY BUT IF THE LST IS THAT DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT+BETTER (I.E. DEEPER BASS, ECT) ............OH YEAH, MY CAPS LOCK ISN'T STUCK, I JUST NEED TO SEE WHAT I'M TYPING EASIER ;) , THE FONT SIZE ADJUSTMENT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL ON THIS SITE, ROB

HELLO TO ALL, THEY ARE AT $1,009.99 THIS MORNING , LOOKS LIKE THERE'S A RUNAWAY BIDDER ON THE LOOSE ON THAT ONE, MY QUESTION I'M PUTTING OUT THERE IS THIS, WOULD THERE BE ANY GAIN SONICALLY IF I WERE TO HAVE LST SPEAKERS, I'VE NEVER HEARD THEM , MY CURRENT SETUP INCLUDES 4 AR3A'S AND 4 KLH MODEL 12'S POWERED BY 2 MAC MC-275 AMPS, A MAC 4100 RECEIVER AND A MAC 4280 RECEIVER (POWER AMPS ONLY ON THE LATTER) RUN BY A MAC C-28. THE LST IS SO DAMN RARE TO SEE FOR SALE I GUESS IF NEED BE I COULD FIND A WAY, I NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU GUYS, IT'S TAKEN MANY MOONS TO GET THIS SYSTEM WHERE IT IS TODAY BUT IF THE LST IS THAT DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT+BETTER (I.E. DEEPER BASS, ECT) ............OH YEAH, MY CAPS LOCK ISN'T STUCK, I JUST NEED TO SEE WHAT I'M TYPING EASIER ;) , THE FONT SIZE ADJUSTMENT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL ON THIS SITE, ROB

Sorry guys, but I could never justify that amount for a system that is over 30 years old, unless perhaps they were unused NOS and hermetically sealed in a container that was filled with nitrogen.

Have a blast biding. Hopefully the high amount of the bidding isn't some jackass shill bidder working in concert with a partner. In our experience (yes, it happened to us) EBAY's "Safe Harbor" department did little to investigate and ultimately did nothing in regards to our complaint, even though we could support our position. So, when you buy from EBAY you must be careful.

-Tom

Sorry guys, but I could never justify that amount for a system that is over 30 years old, unless perhaps they were unused NOS and hermetically sealed in a container that was filled with nitrogen.

Have a blast biding. Hopefully the high amount of the bidding isn't some jackass shill bidder working in concert with a partner. In our experience (yes, it happened to us) EBAY's "Safe Harbor" department did little to investigate and ultimately did nothing in regards to our complaint, even though we could support our position. So, when you buy from EBAY you must be careful.

-Tom

Even though I was one of the bidders, I had to bow out when they reached $1K...After some careful thought, decided that I would not be able to take full advantage of the LST system due to lack of space and lack of amp power. I'm glad that I went searching through the archives. There is a bunch of good info there. I wonder why the seller did not take the time to remove the grilles (they are just velcro'd, right?) and show the condition of the drivers. That made me a little suspicious of their condition.

So far, have had good luck on Ebay purchasing AR Vintage speakers. Got 2 pairs of 4ax which were in very nice shape...cloth surrounds, corroded pots (fixed those), very slight surface blemishes on cabinets (Old English oil made those disappear), replaced grilles with very "acoustically transparent" material (actually vintage 60's)...it is not the off-white linen but looks very good. Just got a pair of AR-7’s, which I did not have to do anything to except peel the protective tape from the badges and polish with some 280 grit sandpaper.

Yes, I agree. You MUST be careful. Thankfully, this group has been a tremendous help to me in making these evaluations.

Even though I was one of the bidders, I had to bow out when they reached $1K...After some careful thought, decided that I would not be able to take full advantage of the LST system due to lack of space and lack of amp power. I'm glad that I went searching through the archives. There is a bunch of good info there. I wonder why the seller did not take the time to remove the grilles (they are just velcro'd, right?) and show the condition of the drivers. That made me a little suspicious of their condition.

So far, have had good luck on Ebay purchasing AR Vintage speakers. Got 2 pairs of 4ax which were in very nice shape...cloth surrounds, corroded pots (fixed those), very slight surface blemishes on cabinets (Old English oil made those disappear), replaced grilles with very "acoustically transparent" material (actually vintage 60's)...it is not the off-white linen but looks very good. Just got a pair of AR-7’s, which I did not have to do anything to except peel the protective tape from the badges and polish with some 280 grit sandpaper.

Yes, I agree. You MUST be careful. Thankfully, this group has been a tremendous help to me in making these evaluations.

You should try to visit flea markets. Yes, you find some wonderous things there like collectable dinner plates with an angelic picture of Christ painted on it with blinking Christmas lights around the rim, but if you keep an eye on some of these places you may come up with a jem, well, a diamond in the rough. I found my pair of Allison 1 systems at the old Jackson's flea market in Hadley MA for 75 bucks. Sure, they needed the woofer surrounds replaced (rot) and one of the tweeters was inop (broken lead which was cured with careful soldering) and 2 of the mid drivers center domes were dented, but they came out pretty nice. I also found at that flea market a Infinity HCA amplifier (inop but I didn't have a schematic of it at the time so I resold it). My Heath W5M's came from there along with a dandy Scott 222b integrated, Proton tuner, a pair of Ohm Walsh PRO 250 cylinders to name a few. At the Brimfield Antiques and flea market (held in May, July and September in Brimfield MA) I have found NOS audio tubes, Bose 901 III (left them), a lovely Empire 598 (missing only the motor pulley cover and a new stylis for the 4000z cartridge). I could go one but you get the picture... Yes, I like cruising these places for gear that is a little tired but can be brought back to life. The most expensive item was the HCA amp at 150 dollars (I should have kept that... DOH!) If you have these places near you check them out. That pair of LST's may be tucked under that tarp with the display of beanie babies on top...... -T

HELLO TO ALL, THEY ARE AT $1,009.99 THIS MORNING , LOOKS LIKE THERE'S A RUNAWAY BIDDER ON THE LOOSE ON THAT ONE, MY QUESTION I'M PUTTING OUT THERE IS THIS, WOULD THERE BE ANY GAIN SONICALLY IF I WERE TO HAVE LST SPEAKERS, I'VE NEVER HEARD THEM , MY CURRENT SETUP INCLUDES 4 AR3A'S AND 4 KLH MODEL 12'S POWERED BY 2 MAC MC-275 AMPS, A MAC 4100 RECEIVER AND A MAC 4280 RECEIVER (POWER AMPS ONLY ON THE LATTER) RUN BY A MAC C-28. THE LST IS SO DAMN RARE TO SEE FOR SALE I GUESS IF NEED BE I COULD FIND A WAY, I NEED SOME INPUT FROM YOU GUYS, IT'S TAKEN MANY MOONS TO GET THIS SYSTEM WHERE IT IS TODAY BUT IF THE LST IS THAT DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT+BETTER (I.E. DEEPER BASS, ECT) ............OH YEAH, MY CAPS LOCK ISN'T STUCK, I JUST NEED TO SEE WHAT I'M TYPING EASIER :blink: , THE FONT SIZE ADJUSTMENT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL ON THIS SITE, ROB

I bought my LSTs about a year ago, and they have replaced my 3a's. To me the difference is not subtle: The LSTs have noticeably deeper bass (something important to me) and the midrange and high frequencies are meaningfully more dispersed thanks, I suppose, to the shape of the speakers. The overall impression is one of a more open soundstage and a more realistic reproduction of the music.

Whether that justifies paying three, four or five times the going rate on a pair of 3a's is another story. Due to their scarcity, there is a "collectability premium" to the LSTs. For me it was worth it. YMMV.

I bought my LSTs about a year ago, and they have replaced my 3a's. To me the difference is not subtle: The LSTs have noticeably deeper bass (something important to me) and the midrange and high frequencies are meaningfully more dispersed thanks, I suppose, to the shape of the speakers. The overall impression is one of a more open soundstage and a more realistic reproduction of the music.

Whether that justifies paying three, four or five times the going rate on a pair of 3a's is another story. Due to their scarcity, there is a "collectability premium" to the LSTs. For me it was worth it. YMMV.

Well you tried frank at least they stayed in the U.S. for now US $1,677.50 and they were vary early one low number

Well you tried frank at least they stayed in the U.S. for now US $1,677.50 and they were vary early one low number

Someone really wanted these. They went for quite a lot more than I paid last year.

:blink::blink: WOW, $1,677.50 FOR BETTER DISPERSION AND SOME BASS THAN THE AR-3A'S , HHMMMM MAYBE NEXT TIME, MY SPOUSELESS HOUSE ALREADY LOOKS LIKE A STEREO STORE FROM 1969! I JUST SAT TIGHT ON THIS ONE, THAT'S ALOT FOR SPEAKERS THAT LIKELY NEED E V E R Y T H I N G !! THAT VELCRO CAN BE TOUGH TO DEAL WITH IF IT HAS NEVER BEEN OFF....EVER!!! WELL, THE WINNER WILL BE IN $2,200+ BEFORE HE CAN HAVE A LISTEN, HMMMMM. THANKS FOR YOUR RESPONSES GUYS :P

4-30-08

Hey CSP members, FM here and I'm a recovering AR-LST eBay bidder.

Yes it was I who went 'neck & neck' with that 'other' bidder and I lost, what else is new? After calculating the shipping and the newly imposed B.S. NY state tax on any web purchase it came out to over 2 grand, but still worth it.

I firmly believe these were worth the price on any given day, however my biggest fear was the

shipping of these boxes. Some people build wooden crates for them, some would have used styro-foam no doubt.

Seeing these prices makes me realize how fortunate I actually am to own four of them myself, and I still want more.

And for all you non-believers, I can easily state that yes, for some odd reason they do output more bass than my AR-3a's, I don't know why if the enclosure is reportedly the same internal size in order to operate with-in design limits. It's probably due to the extra number of mid-range drivers that oddly enough do handle the upper-mid-bass remarkably well.

As I was bidding I was dreaming of stacking these on top of my other four stacked LST's-crazy I know, but that's how it gets in my mind. My stands could handle the weight with out problem and then there's the 'Y' plugging from the pre-amp to the 3 amps. Some day that'll happen, but right now I've still gotta repair and restore what I have-it's getting nuts over here with this never ending 'work-in-progress' procrastination problem I have, please!

Master of Confusion, Frank Marsi

Archived