New Member - Old Fan of AR Speakers

I've been a loyal fan of AR Classic speakers since the early 70's and recently been addicted to aquiring some vintage speakers. So far....AR-2ax, AR-4x, and AR-7. I really enjoy the clean sound of these. And have really enjoyed lurking here for the past couple of months...you guys rock!

As my screen name says...I am an AR nut in Oregon. But do have a connection to Massachusetts, having spent my early years in Boston, not far from the home of AR, and other well-known creators of Hi-Fi equipment of the era.

For the AR-7's recently aquired (actually still in transit) I've not been able to find a schematic for them. I could draw one up as I have been an Electrical Designer/Engineer for the past 30+ years, but might not know what the the values of the inductive coils would be. Maybe one of you kind folks could help me out.

And, again, I've really enjoyed reading the tips and tricks to restoring the AR speakers. You folks have helped alot.

Thanks

Hello AR Nut,

Welcome to the forum.

The AR-7 has a very simple crossover. The woofer is designed to roll off naturally at higher frequencies, without the need for an inductor. There is a single 6 mFd capacitor in series with the tweeter. A 3 Ohm resistor is switchable in and out of the circuit to control the tweeter level - that's it.

The AR-7 is a superb speaker. I was just listening to my pair last night. It is hard to believe the quality of sound that eminates from a speaker of this size!

Best Regards,

Rich W

Welcome, Nut! :P

Thanks for the info Rich.

I have a pair of AR7s and had planned to rebuild the xover but when I opened them I saw that single cap (sprague, I believe) and decided to leave them as-is. They had been refoamed by the previous owner. The 7s came in 2 flavors: wood-grain vinyl or walnut veneer. I was happy to find a pair of the walnut ones. Refinished the wood and replaced the grille cloth with new linen--good as new!

Kent

Hello AR Nut,

Welcome to the forum.

The AR-7 has a very simple crossover. The woofer is designed to roll off naturally at higher frequencies, without the need for an inductor. There is a single 6 mFd capacitor in series with the tweeter. A 3 Ohm resistor is switchable in and out of the circuit to control the tweeter level - that's it.

The AR-7 is a superb speaker. I was just listening to my pair last night. It is hard to believe the quality of sound that eminates from a speaker of this size!

Best Regards,

Rich W

Rich,

Thanks very much for the info. I think I've got a visual on the schematic, but will have to open the 7's up when they arrive and draw my own. I'd be happy to share it for an addition to the library. As I mentioned in my intro, I have been an Electrical Designer/Engineer for the past 30+ years. But, I've only been involved in power and control systems (relay logic, transformers, etc) not, "electronics". I might need some help with the A/B switch logic.

Archived