Rewire KLH Six to bypass HF switch

Guest rsfmotoman

Guest rsfmotoman

I am looking to recap my crossovers in a pair of epoxy KLH 6's.

I want to take out the 3-way switch and use replacement binding posts.

Could anyone help me out with the proper parts and correct wiring?

I am not an expert schematics. I do have one for the Six and would appreciate an easy to follow explanation for any solution.

Thanks alot.

I am not an expert schematics. I do have one for the Six and would appreciate an easy to follow explanation for any solution.

Thanks alot.

Hi there;

How are you anticipating getting inside the enclosure to change out the caps?

Perhaps you should read all of the KLH topics for KLH Six advice first.

The project you are attempting requires special attention.

Guest rsfmotoman

I am already inside. I cut a whole through the back. I am not worried about keeping these speakers factory stock.

Will this work for the crossover sans the switch.

"The x-overs required 2 3ohm resistors in series to a 8uf cap (I used a 6uf + 2uf Zen cap). The first 3ohm resistor is bypassed with a 2uf cap and another 2uf cap is used to bypass both 3ohm resistors"

I got this idea from this link:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...l=bypass+switch

What do you think?

Guest rsfmotoman

BTW...I have read all the posts on the old Six here and at AudioKarma. I am well aware of what this project requires. Right now, I am looking for help to wire up the crossover without the switch.

Thanks for the help.

BTW...I have read all the posts on the old Six here and at AudioKarma. I am well aware of what this project requires. Right now, I am looking for help to wire up the crossover without the switch.

Thanks for the help.

Hi again;

Could you show us a photo of the cabinet rear, please.

Thanks alot.

Something to think about: If you plan to sell these at some point, modifications will decrease their value. New caps are fine, since caps deteriorate and KLH was not known for the high quality of their caps. But removing the switch and replacing the posts will be frowned upon by potential buyers.

I do not own Sixes myself, but do have Fives (and Twelves, Seventeens, Twenties and Thirty-Threes). Assuming they areall of pretty similar construction, I would say the threaded posts with knurled nuts work very well. Just crimp ring connectors to your speaker wire and tighten it all down. Dab on some DeOxIt if it makes you feel better. And I don't think those 3-position switches go bad or degrade the sound, so why not leave those too?

OTOH--if you plan to keep these and enjoy them for many years--go ahead and do as you wish.

Just my $.02 worth.

Enjoy!

Kent

• 1 month later...
I am already inside. I cut a whole through the back. I am not worried about keeping these speakers factory stock.

Will this work for the crossover sans the switch.

"The x-overs required 2 3ohm resistors in series to a 8uf cap (I used a 6uf + 2uf Zen cap). The first 3ohm resistor is bypassed with a 2uf cap and another 2uf cap is used to bypass both 3ohm resistors"

I got this idea from this link:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/IP.Boar...l=bypass+switch

What do you think?

By the date of this post I imagine you've already made these changes. The thing that I would question is bypassing the 3 uF caps with 2 uF. Unless that's a typo and you meant 0.2 uF. 2 uF in parallel wit the 3 uF will add up to 5 uF. Same with other combo which will be way different from the design.

How do they sound?

Jim

• 1 month later...
Guest rsfmotoman
By the date of this post I imagine you've already made these changes. The thing that I would question is bypassing the 3 uF caps with 2 uF. Unless that's a typo and you meant 0.2 uF. 2 uF in parallel wit the 3 uF will add up to 5 uF. Same with other combo which will be way different from the design.

How do they sound?

Jim

The 2uF caps bypass resistors. I think you may have misread my post.

It actually worked out quite well. The 6's sound great with the benefit of updated binding posts and no switch to go bad. These are speakers I plan to keep so the mods are no big deal in my book. :D

Archived