Identify Screen Speakers and a "Corner" Speaker 1975ish

Guest JackVa1

Guest JackVa1

Back in the day, I was looking for speakers and ended up choosing Consumer's to select a pair of Avid's.

One high end store called Bryn Mawr Stereo had two pairs of unique and expensive speakers on display that I always wonder about.

1. A pair off off-white Masts or thin screen speakers. These ultra thin things looked nothing like traditional speakers in the mid 70's.

2. A large heave wooden speaker set was on display that was designed to sit in a room corner. Curiously, the mids and or tweeters faced into the wall, not towards the listener. Now my memory is failing and maybe the Woofers were pointed to the wall....They were made of fine wood cabenetry and were extremly heavy. I believe they were $1200 each

Does anyone know what these two unique designs were?

Thanks!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a guess:

1. Magneplanars, possibly Tympanies ("Maggies")

2. Klipsch corner horns (Klipschorns)

Two different philosophies--NOT "acoustic suspension"

hope this helps

Kent

2. A large heave wooden speaker set was on display that was designed to sit in a room corner. Curiously, the mids and or tweeters faced into the wall, not towards the listener. Now my memory is failing and maybe the Woofers were pointed to the wall....They were made of fine wood cabenetry and were extremly heavy. I believe they were $1200 each

If your memory is correct, then these weren't Klipschorns. The high and mid drivers face out of Klipschorns toward the listener.

If your memory is correct, then these weren't Klipschorns. The high and mid drivers face out of Klipschorns toward the listener.

I'm guessing maybe Jack's memory was off a bit. He did say "Curiously, the mids and or tweeters faced into the wall, not towards the listener. Now my memory is failing and maybe the Woofers were pointed to the wall."

I can't imagine any speaker pointing the higher ranges into the corner. I'm sure it was the bass horn that faced the corner.

Kent

Archived