The AR-2a In Money-Saving Kit Form !

ar_pro

Guest Terry Again
A very cool ad from a 1963 Heathkit catalog:

Damn!! And I misplaced my time machine!!!!

Has anyone seen it sometime?

Terry

I'm brain damaged,what's your excuse?

• 2 weeks later...
A couple more pics: I think Vern sent these

Hi Kent;

The original photo ad posted in this topic is the earlier Heathkit AS-2 or AR-2 equal, speaker system.

They contained a 10" Alnico woofer and dual tweeters.

The owners manual listed the crossover at 1,000 Hz instead of 2,000 Hz.

The 2 photos you posted are the later AS-2A or AR-2A equal, which, in addition to the above drivers, also contained the 1 3/8" tweeter.

These may be almost 50 years old but I never tire of reading them.

I've written about the following before but while on this model topic, I will again.

Heathkit recomended in their AS-2/AS-2A speaker assembly manuals to glue the interior cabinet seams to assure a good acoustic seal prior to asembling the systems.

I will guess that the cost of their enclosures was so low that their supplier either didn't use very much or any glue to recommend gluing them.

My AS-2 cabinet is marine or at least 12 or so layers, grade plywood on three sides and regular plywood on the bottom.

These two models both preceded Heathkit's final AR speaker systems, the AS-103/AS-103A equal to AR-3A and modified AR-3A speaker systems.

• 8 months later...

"Heathkit recomended in their AS-2/AS-2A speaker assembly manuals to glue the interior cabinet seams to assure a good acoustic seal prior to asembling the systems.

I will guess that the cost of their enclosures was so low that their supplier either didn't use very much or any glue to recommend gluing them."

Dan, do you think they might recomend the added glue to ensure a airtight seal reather than as a mechanical reinforement?

Adding glue along the seam is not going to add much strength but could act as a caulk.

The AS2's I', working on have fewer plys on one long side just like the picture you posted of yours.

If you see this, what value does Heath the show for the inductor?

Ken

Archived