stacking lge advents

Guest tim t

i have one pair of new lge advents bullnose walnut and have just found another pair of original lge advents walnut with masonite are these two compatable for stacking ? or should i hold out for a pair of new lge, my tendency is to grab them, they have been refoamed already, the guy is asking 200, i paid 100 for the new ones refoamed...i live on vancouver island, so the likelyhood of finding another mint pair of new lge in walnut is doubtful....suggestions..oh and will my yamaha rx 596 80rms min. per channel into 8 ohms be enough?

i have one pair of new lge advents bullnose walnut and have just found another pair of original lge advents walnut with masonite are these two compatable for stacking ? or should i hold out for a pair of new lge, my tendency is to grab them, they have been refoamed already, the guy is asking 200, i paid 100 for the new ones refoamed...i live on vancouver island, so the likelyhood of finding another mint pair of new lge in walnut is doubtful....suggestions..oh and will my yamaha rx 596 80rms min. per channel into 8 ohms be enough?

The tweeters and the crossovers are very different. That being said, I had one pair of each stacked for a while and they sounded OK, but they are not matched. I could hear the difference and eventually went with matched woofers and tweeters. If you put the two sets in parallel, they will present 4, maybe 3 ohms to the amplifier. I'm using a Hafler DH220 that is rated at 115 watts into 8 ohms and probably does over 200 watts into 4 ohms. Your 80 watt amp may be a little inadequate. If the amp clips, the harmonics will likely burn up the 3 ohm 5 watt resistors in the older Advent crossovers. I loaned my speakers to someone with a smaller amp and they came back with blown resistors.

Hope this helps.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Guest classic carl

For what it's worth, I have 2 pairs of original Large Advents wired in parrallel, running off a Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp. It's rated at 60w RMS per channel into 8 ohms and 70w RMS into 4 ohms. The amp is 33 years old and I've had the Advents since 1976 and I've never clipped them or damaged the speakers.

I also have a pair of Advent 4002's and Advent/1's wired in parrallel off a Yamaha RX-V800, rated at 100w RMS into 8 ohms. I'm not sure what they're rated at with a 4 ohm impedance, but probably somewhere around 120 wpc. These are the fronts on my 5.1 system and have been hooked up since October 2007 with no ill effects, except that I did fry a resistor in 1 of the crossovers of the 1's recently. It kept the tweeter from working until I replaced the resistor. However, I think I blew the resistor hooking up my laptop to the amp with the volume turned up. Yeah, I know...real smart, huh? The 4002's and 1's use the same woofer but have different tweeters.

For what it's worth, I have 2 pairs of original Large Advents wired in parrallel, running off a Pioneer SA-9100 integrated amp. It's rated at 60w RMS per channel into 8 ohms and 70w RMS into 4 ohms. The amp is 33 years old and I've had the Advents since 1976 and I've never clipped them or damaged the speakers.

I also have a pair of Advent 4002's and Advent/1's wired in parrallel off a Yamaha RX-V800, rated at 100w RMS into 8 ohms. I'm not sure what they're rated at with a 4 ohm impedance, but probably somewhere around 120 wpc. These are the fronts on my 5.1 system and have been hooked up since October 2007 with no ill effects, except that I did fry a resistor in 1 of the crossovers of the 1's recently. It kept the tweeter from working until I replaced the resistor. However, I think I blew the resistor hooking up my laptop to the amp with the volume turned up. Yeah, I know...real smart, huh? The 4002's and 1's use the same woofer but have different tweeters.

Hi there;

The the topic of stacking Advents or Double Advents is not carved in stone yet.

See the photo of the Amati's, look at the lower right corner with their grille cloths removed.

They didn't even flip the cabinets.

Now which way is the correct way to connect Double Advent's, as described in The Absolute Sound review?

Side by side, on top with woofers together, or tweeter's together?

post-101040-1201305988.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
jackfish,

Can you describe the sound of your stacked Advents? (I know that's always tough and subjective but I'm curious)

How did you wire them? (+ to + OR + to -)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

They sound pretty damn good! But of course there are some issues in a 12'x15' room. The bass is not what one would expect, but this is because of the dominance of the mids and high as the speakers are out from the walls per Cardas placement. If you stand in the back corner of the room the bass is thunderous. I expect the BSC circuit I am getting from Pete B will help a lot. I am going to build my own BSC and then pass the loaner on to others interested in trying it out. Currently, I have temporary compensation by turning down the highs and mids on my preamp a couple of detents (10 o'clock). I have the bass set at 3 o'clock. The Harman Kardon Citation Eleven I had needs to be restored as it recently developed a hum, so I am temporarily using an Audio Source Pre One preamp. Another thing I did recently that really helped the sound was removing the spikes on the speaker stands which lowered the stack about an inch and I filled the stands with alternating sand and lead shot.

I have bass traps you can see in the corners behind the speakers. I'd like to get two more pairs of bass traps, two to stack on top of the ones you see and two for the upper corners behind the listening position. I also have acoustic panels at the first reflection points, but would like to get more, maybe stack two on each side floor to ceiling at the first reflection points and then some for the wall behind the listener.

At first I was going to run them in parallel off one Phase Linear 400. However, I was advised that if run hard at 4 ohms the Phase Linear would get real hot and a fan was advised. Subsequently, I found a deal on another restored Phase Linear 400 and so I am running each speaker off one channel of these amps, 200 watts @ 8 ohms per speaker. I realize now that with my usual listening volume of around 84 dB that even one Phase Linear running at 4 ohms would have been fine. But with two of these amps the double Large Advents are quite impressive. Last night it was as if Sade was right in front of me.

Currently, I have temporary compensation by turning down the highs and mids on my preamp a couple of detents (10 o'clock). I have the bass set at 3 o'clock.

These speakers are not noted for an overly bright mid-highend.

That is quite a substantial bass boost.

Notice the speaker placement (per Cardas) and the subsequent need for baffle step compensation. If they were against a wall I'm sure the bass would be greatly accentuated. http://www.cardas.com/pdf/roomsetup.pdf

i've run a stack of Large Advents in a big room (about 20' x 40') in parallel with a Sansui 2000a receiver (mid 30wpc) without any apparent stress on the amp. the pair on top were inverted like in the photo above, the sound was very impressive.

These speakers are not noted for an overly bright mid-highend.

That is quite a substantial bass boost.

Hi Vern,

The top curve of the top response chart in this link is the on axis response of

the Small Advent as measured by CBS Labs for High Fidelity mag:

http://members.aol.com/Debertin/spktwo.jpg

Advent claimed that the Small was voiced the same as the Large but was

simply less efficient.

There is a 10 dB peak at 1.2 KHz in that chart, and it is certainly audible as

a shouty, forward, harsh (on bad recordings) quality, and also slightly boxy

due to the shape of the bass/mid-bass response.

I don't know how you can claim that "These speakers are not noted for an

overly bright mid-highend." unless you believe the reviews.

It is shocking to hear how good they can be when frequency response correction

is applied.

pict0048yx9.jpg

Nice rig! Good to have some power in reserve as you do there!

I sent the BSC today, please let us know what you think.

You know small changes in placement can result in large changes in

bass response, say +/-6" in all directions, it is worth experimenting

just in case you're in a room null. Also, your listening position, the

center of the room, for example, usually has a large null.

Have you seen the program "Best Place"?

Hi Vern,

The top curve of the top response chart in this link is the on axis response of

the Small Advent as measured by CBS Labs for High Fidelity mag:

http://members.aol.com/Debertin/spktwo.jpg

Advent claimed that the Small was voiced the same as the Large but was

simply less efficient.

There is a 10 dB peak at 1.2 KHz in that chart, and it is certainly audible as

a shouty, forward, harsh (on bad recordings) quality, and also slightly boxy

due to the shape of the bass/mid-bass response.

I don't know how you can claim that "These speakers are not noted for an

overly bright mid-highend." unless you believe the reviews.

It is shocking to hear how good they can be when frequency response correction

is applied.

Hi Pete;

My comment was regarding only The Large Advent speaker system, I did not read anything regarding the Smaller Advent in this topic.

I can't find anything about it? Where can one get it?

It's in the library here on this site, here's the link: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/_Media/bstplac.zip

I've not run it in some time, it's set up for standard model speakers

in the RDL line but I believe that there is "other" for any other speaker.

It's in the library here on this site, here's the link: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/_Media/bstplac.zip

I've not run into it in some time, it's set up for standard model speakers

in the RDL line but I believe that there is "other" for any other speaker.

well. what ended up happening is... #1...the utility advents i went to look at were crap...dirty, cab's a mess, and one tweeter [orange dispersion cover basically missing in the middle for at least an inch all around...soo i passed...instead..i ended up buying a mint pair of jbl lx44's from 1991 black ash.used in a recording studio..paid 200 cad... made in denmark no less..yes those.. with less than 100 hours on them,... they are so close to the advents, in linear response, i am using them as rears on a conventional system..at floor level ...the advents are topped out at about 2 inches from the ceiling which is at 10 feet..so very interesting stuff goes back and forth..yamaha rx 596...yamaha kx421..etc.. i used to build those sinclair amps years ago and connoissier turntables, it was lovely building them complete with rubber bands..that's where i came from...so hopefully.. when the wife leaves i can find a place with a nice large living room that will tolerate ..#1 the new large advents and the jbl's...just because they are very nice too..i still have the klh 17's and the infinity qa's both are still for sale and i am willing to part out to save shipping.. gnight all

• 3 years later...

i have a pair of OLAs and /1s that i would like to try stacking (out of curiosity, mostly). i've read a few instances where people are wiring each stack in parallel. is their any reason why i shouldn't just hook them to the A + B speaker outputs on the amp (also parallel)?

THANKS!

i have a pair of OLAs and /1s that i would like to try stacking (out of curiosity, mostly). i've read a few instances where people are wiring each stack in parallel. is their any reason why i shouldn't just hook them to the A + B speaker outputs on the amp (also parallel)?

THANKS!

Yup, that's fine. Basically the same thing.

Doug

Archived