Anyone have KLH 55a receiver info?

JKent

Sorry--this is a little off topic, but does anyone have literature on the Fifty-Five A receiver (or know the difference between a 55 and 55a?) that you would be willing to upload for the Library?

Thanks

Kent

Sorry, I don't have details particular to the 55 or 55a. What I do know about the series - models 50 through 57 is that introduction was about 1972 with some units being made in Cambridge, MA, but this was a last gasp of US made electronics production for KLH....many of the ones found are labeled 'Made in Japan'. I think the model 57 was quadraphonic and pricy. My model 50 is the smallest in the line-up (made in USA and rather scarce) - it has the small model 50 single driver speakers like the Model 21 exstention radio units - I was surprized how nice this small system sounds.

This doesn't answer your question about the 55 & 55a but all these KLH's are nice performers and durable. The receiver market was flooded in the early 1970's - some really nice example were comming from Japan and State side companies were over run.

Andy

Thanks Andy. The Fifty-Five/A was made in Japan. It has a vinyl-covered plywood cabinet. There is no indication on the front that it is a "quad" receiver, but there is a little slide switch on the back marked "4 channel enhance." I'm guessing maybe it uses a dynaco-type circuit (?). Your Fifty sounds nice, and more along the lines of what interests me (Made in New England). Were they still using that nice walnut veneer, or was the Fifty like the Twenty-One/FM with the ubiquitous "wood-grain vinyl?"

There's a nice Fifty-Five on ebay now, and it looks like the difference between the 55 and the 55/A is the "4 channel enhance" feature. Maybe this was an in-between step before the quad 57 (was there a 56?). Wonder if the /A is a rarity :P

Attached are photos. The back of the Fifty-Five (on ebay) and a close-up of my Fifty-Five/A with the slide switch.

Thanks for the info.

Kent

Kent,

I had a KLH Model 52A receiver for awhile. Sweet sounding. It also had the DynaQuad type circuit which apparently was the only difference between it and a standard Model 52. I felt it was odd that the surround speaker outputs were RCA connectors, until I found a pair of KLH Model 30 speakers. I guess they were supposed to go with the Model 30 system. The Model 30 speakers had RCA type connectors on the back. Driver complement was the same as Model 6. The cabinets were the exact same height and width as a Model 6, but were only half as deep. A true bookshelf speaker. If one bought the KLH Model 52A or 55A receiver, they could drive 4 large speakers with it, 2 of them being mounted high on the walls on a shelf (the surrounds). The Model 52A receiver was 33wpc if memory serves. Nice and compact, and very sweet sounding.

Kent,

I had a KLH Model 52A receiver for awhile. Sweet sounding. It also had the DynaQuad type circuit which apparently was the only difference between it and a standard Model 52. I felt it was odd that the surround speaker outputs were RCA connectors, until I found a pair of KLH Model 30 speakers. I guess they were supposed to go with the Model 30 system. The Model 30 speakers had RCA type connectors on the back. Driver complement was the same as Model 6. The cabinets were the exact same height and width as a Model 6, but were only half as deep. A true bookshelf speaker. If one bought the KLH Model 52A or 55A receiver, they could drive 4 large speakers with it, 2 of them being mounted high on the walls on a shelf (the surrounds). The Model 52A receiver was 33wpc if memory serves. Nice and compact, and very sweet sounding.

thanks for the info George, and Happy New Year!

Kent

Archived