AR M1

gary_wong5

Looks to me like it's a bass reflex woofer/enclosure, NOT an acoustic suspension woofer/enclosure. It's not based at all on any of the "traditional" acoustic suspension AR speaker systems.

Looks to me like it's a bass reflex woofer/enclosure, NOT an acoustic suspension woofer/enclosure. It's not based at all on any of the "traditional" acoustic suspension AR speaker systems.

I was shocked to my first glance onto these pair. From the appearance however these are "genuine" AR products! The tone is balance and I like the mid very much. They perform like a floorstander, surprisingly, no joke!

A "new discovery"? I am sure someone can reveal their identity.

I attached more pictures here.

Gary

gary_wong5 said:
I was shocked to my first glance onto these pair. From the appearance however these are "genuine" AR products! The tone is balance and I like the mid very much. They perform like a floorstander, surprisingly, no joke!

A "new discovery"? I am sure someone can reveal their identity.

Your speakers appear to be the midrange/tweeter head units from the M5, which were ported. You're missing the woofers, which were in the sealed tower cabinets the head units sat on, and you're only hearing the mids and highs without the lower bass.

Mark, I have read through the link but they just look different from Hologram series. As I mentioned earlier, the speaker box measured 6"(W)x9"(H)x7"(D), which has mid sized 5". Whereas M4 has 7 3/4"(W) and a 6" mid; M5 measured 8 1/2"(W) and has 5" mid but the look does not match this curious pair. As I mentioned earlier, it matches M-.5 size in the AR Model History list after measuring the speaker box.

Genek, the bass is great when positioned close to rear wall. If doing a blind test you will get wrong the sound is from floorstander, really. I think the top tweeter/mid section of M4 is inseparable from the lower part, pleaase correct me if I were wrong.

Regards,

Gary

If I'm not mistaken, the last acoustic-suspension speakers that AR made were the AR303/302/338 series from 1994. Everything after that was a ported design.

You may be right, but there's a but...

The Holographic Series brochure says that they are acoustic suspension.

We know AR changed things along the way, so the brochure isn't necessarily proof of anything except that at one time the M-series was acoustic suspension.

Bret

Mark, I have read through the link but they just look different from Hologram series. As I mentioned earlier, the speaker box measured 6"(W)x9"(H)x7"(D), which has mid sized 5". Whereas M4 has 7 3/4"(W) and a 6" mid; M5 measured 8 1/2"(W) and has 5" mid but the look does not match this curious pair. As I mentioned earlier, it matches M-.5 size in the AR Model History list after measuring the speaker box.

AR used some of its early model numbers for recent speakers; it has bitten me several times and it hurts! I have never seen any of the M series, but the "Model History - Chronological Order" document shows two sequences: M-1, M-2, M-3, M-4, M-5 and M-6 with introduction year 1991. Then farther down the list are two more: M-.5 and M-4.5 listed with introduction year 1992. The M-.5 has the dimensions Gary describes; perchance his speaker is part of this second and maybe different set?

Cheers,

AR used some of its early model numbers for recent speakers; it has bitten me several times and it hurts! I have never seen any of the M series, but the "Model History - Chronological Order" document shows two sequences: M-1, M-2, M-3, M-4, M-5 and M-6 with introduction year 1991. Then farther down the list are two more: M-.5 and M-4.5 listed with introduction year 1992. The M-.5 has the dimensions Gary describes; perchance his speaker is part of this second and maybe different set?

Cheers,

Hmn... I guess we're missing a brochure. :P

On a side note, the Holographic brochure we *do* have mentions many of the models are acoustic suspension, but I think some of the other models are listed as acoustic suspension with a qualification, so that may mean part of the speaker is sealed and another is ported? (I've never seen these models, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Mark

"From the appearance however these are "genuine" AR products! The tone is balance and I like the mid very much. They perform like a floorstander, surprisingly, no joke!"

It is nice to now there are still people who listen to speakers with their ears and trust their own judgement. They are indeed carry a well balanced and smooth sound to complement as surround sound speakers for the M series speakers which came out a year earlier for Dolby Pro Logic set up in Home Theater application. The combination of ported design and the 1/2" horn tweeter make the M.5 speaker very easy to be driven even with just 10W of rear channel amplification. The smallest sealed box M1 will required at least 25W or better off 35W to made it start to sing. The original M1 has dark grey speckle pattern laminated cabinet while the M.5 has cheaper black simulated wood gain vinyl. Regardless of their space age shapes and totally break away from the classic AR speaker design, They are really excellent sounding speakers especially for Home Theater and Karaoke application. The AR M series mate perfectly with the NAD Power Envelope series 2100,2400,2600 power Amp for two channels music listening.

To me, I feel AR always hired top notch speaker designers who really do their home works and came out with very accurate and well balance sounding speakers. The engineers always tried to do their best with extra efforts to accomplish the designs but the marketing people at the end always try to cut corners and purchase the cheapest parts to produce the products in hope for gaining maximum profits! This is the main reason why AR can never get back to where they were over and over again including the AR-303 Classic series speakers...!

Only the M5 and M6 have detachable head and the M4 is one integrated cabinet.

Minh Luong

post-101112-1199107554.jpg

post-101112-1199107584.jpg

• 3 years later...

I just purchased a set of M1 and M3. Nice sound. However, the dust cap to the M1 woofers is vibrating and almost came apart. When I peeled it open, I found another dust cap inside.

Is this normal for 2 dust caps in the 6" woofer on the M1. The M3 mid driver surround is gone. It is 2.5" and I cannot find a repair kit for it. Any suggestions?

I started another thread to ask about the NON floor standing M series speakers. I just purchased a MC.1 Center and a set of nice M.5's. I was asking about the difference of the M.5 later series. I think the poster is very accurate about the diffrence of the M.5 and M1 being ported. They are very, very impressive, especialy in the mid range, and for a 4 inch woofer, not bad at all. I had heard that the M1 had a tendency to be too bright, but I think the M.5 was a improvement over the M1 with more midrange, more bass and a little less highs.

I am now running them in a HT set up and I love it. Someone else where said when you play movies they give you that "right there" effect, and they do. They also fill the room with sound. I could'nt be happier.

• 7 years later...

In general, regardless of the tweeter material used, AR Holographic Imaging speakers don't achieve their best sound with low-pwr/low-qual transistor amps. They sound really good, but a little light.

They mercilessly expose solid state notch distortion and weak power transformers or any other significant amplifier cost-cutting. This is the bright-strident sound people complain about.

Hook any M-# speaker up to a high-voltage, high power, extended frequent response amp and the transformation is magical. The highs are then perfect, along with much more palpable yet clean low bass. Even from the M-.5 speakers.

My M-1's sound great hooked up to my vintage 3020 stereo reciever in my bedroom.

For my 7.2 + 2-M-3 height speakers Surround Sound setup, my 1 pair of M-3's, 2 pairs of M-5's, 1 pair of M-6's and AR HO Center channel speaker sound smooth and thrilling running off a combination of a Marantz SR 6006 7/110 watts AVR (1-pr of M-3 & M-5's), Marantz MM9000 5/170 watts Pwr Amp (1-pr of M5 & M-6's) and Marantz 200 125-watts Mono-Block (AR HO Ctr-channel) along with 2 AR 12-inch powered Sub woofers 60 Hz x-over.

Very realistic and rich 3-D sound that can pressurize a room during strong low bass music and movies like you would not believe:-)!!

AR speakers are explicitly designed for very smooth in-room frequency response, not just in some anechoic chamber. That along with the carefully targeted dispersion design and typically low AR low distortion design and build, results in 3-D holographic effects that are often startling in their realism with high-end sources like SACD's, DVD-Audio, HD-CD's and Blu-Ray Audio from my OPPO 105D disc player.

Archived