Where can I send my AR2ax speakers for repair?

Guest Ctopherlp

Guest Ctopherlp

I recently found a pair or AR2ax speakers that I would like to have restored. Both work, but one has some low range distortion. Both speaker's Hi and Mid range controls are corroded and not functioning. Can anyone recommend a restoration shop that specializes in AR speakers? I live in PA, but I am willing to ship them anywhere in the US that will do a first-rate job. I'd also appreciate help with dating the speakers. The serial numbers are 94906 and 94907.

Guest speedracer
I recently found a pair or AR2ax speakers that I would like to have restored. Both work, but one has some low range distortion. Both speaker's Hi and Mid range controls are corroded and not functioning. Can anyone recommend a restoration shop that specializes in AR speakers? I live in PA, but I am willing to ship them anywhere in the US that will do a first-rate job. I'd also appreciate help with dating the speakers. The serial numbers are 94906 and 94907.

HI, What do mean by "restored", and you could "clean up' those "Hi-Low Pots" by yourself. lots of people here would love to help you with those great speakers you have.

Hi there;

From what you describe here, I would suggest you find someone local to do all the work you want done.

We can try to walk you through each stage in what needs to be done, if you are up to the challenge.

You may end up with damaged cabinets from shipping them and shipping is very expensive and needs special packaging.

Not every service shop knows how to service AR speakers properly.

NOS parts are non-existant, but, good used parts are readily available.

I live in PA,

Greetings:

Many here would guide you through the process of cleaning the level control potentiometers, and replacing capacitors if that is needed. How close are you to Landsdale? Bill LeGall of Millersound could help you should you not feel confident of doing the restoration yourself.

Cheers,

Your speakers were likely manufactured in very late 1968 or 1969...just sent you a message through the forum regarding your restoration inquiry.

Roy

post-101150-1198436276.jpg post-101150-1198436256.jpg post-101150-1198436293.jpg

Guest Ctopherlp
HI, What do mean by "restored", and you could "clean up' those "Hi-Low Pots" by yourself. lots of people here would love to help you with those great speakers you have.

By restore, I mean do whatever is needed to bring the speakers back to 100% performance! I'm presuming that at least one of the component speakers will need repair or replacement, capacitors may need replacement or upgrading, and I'd like the Hi-Low Pots to be replaced with non-corrosive pots (reserving the original pots so I can keep them with the speaker). I'm a professional musician who by sheer dumb luck purchased the pair of AR-2ax speakers at a house sale, for $10.00. I had no idea of their quality, but I thought an extra pair of speakers would come in handy some day. After researching them on the net and learning of their quality, I don't want to do the work myself, even though I'm sure it would be more cost effective. I just want the work done well, to high professional standards, and high audiophile restoration standards.

Guest Ctopherlp
Hi there;

From what you describe here, I would suggest you find someone local to do all the work you want done.

We can try to walk you through each stage in what needs to be done, if you are up to the challenge.

You may end up with damaged cabinets from shipping them and shipping is very expensive and needs special packaging.

Not every service shop knows how to service AR speakers properly.

NOS parts are non-existant, but, good used parts are readily available.

Someone local would be ideal, but I live in the wilds of Central PA (Mifflinburg). I've located no nearby repair shops that really specialize in vintage speakers, let alone AR speakers. The veneer boxes and grill cloths are in great condition, so I don't want inexperienced hands working on them. Do you know of anyone knowledgeable in Central PA?

Someone local would be ideal, but I live in the wilds of Central PA (Mifflinburg). I've located no nearby repair shops that really specialize in vintage speakers, let alone AR speakers. The veneer boxes and grill cloths are in great condition, so I don't want inexperienced hands working on them. Do you know of anyone knowledgeable in Central PA?

You're about 150 mi from Millersound in Lansdale. How do you feel about doing the job yourself? You can get lots of help here. Start with the excellent booklet, edited by "johnieo" (aka John O'Hanlon. He replied to your post, above). It is pinned to the top of the AR section and addresses restoring AR3a speakers, but a lot of the info in there is applicable to the 2ax. I restored my 2ax's about a year ago. Before/after pics attached. Besides the cosmetics, I refoamed the woofers, rebuilt the crossovers and cleaned up the pots, and I'm NOT a technician. You can get a lot of help here.

Good luck

Kent

Guest Ctopherlp
You're about 150 mi from Millersound in Lansdale. How do you feel about doing the job yourself? You can get lots of help here. Start with the excellent booklet, edited by "johnieo" (aka John O'Hanlon. He replied to your post, above). It is pinned to the top of the AR section and addresses restoring AR3a speakers, but a lot of the info in there is applicable to the 2ax. I restored my 2ax's about a year ago. Before/after pics attached. Besides the cosmetics, I refoamed the woofers, rebuilt the crossovers and cleaned up the pots, and I'm NOT a technician. You can get a lot of help here.

Good luck

Kent

I don't feel comfortable doing it myself. I have an progressive arthritic condition, so as a professional musician I'm trying to save my hands for playing. A few twists with a screwdriver, some hammering, and my hands are useless for days. Also, I don't have the equipment (or knowledge) to test the components, and to know when and what to replace. The kind of distortion that I am hearing from one speaker makes me suspect that there is a physical problem with the woofer. Then again, someone with experience may hear the speaker and know that it is a cross-over issue. I want the satisfaction of knowing that the speakers are really working to their full potential, and the confidence that they will continue to work for many years to come. Thanks for your encouragement. The restoration job on your 2ax's looks very impressive. I will look at John O'Hanlon's booklet just to see if I change my mind, but I doubt that I will. Kent, like me, I see that you are up late! It's great to know a fellow night owl.

Christopher

Archived