Now in world of AR3a... by chance

Pappas3278

Long story short... I have been addicted to the world of vintage McIntosh audio for the past four years. It has given me an immense appreciation for vintage audio as a whole. So, I was very happy when I was fifty feet from my apartment last night here in NYC and what do I see sitting by the curb, waiting to be tossed or rescued? A pair of AR3a's. I didn't know a thing about them, but judging by the look and feel (weight is VERY impressive) I took them home. I found this sight and haven't been able to stop reading. I hooked them up last night for a quick listen (roommate was home so it was cut short) and they sound as if just the woofer is producing sound. I now know to try twisting the pots back and forth to see if I can get the MID and HI working. I'm going to do that when I get home from work today.

I'm posting a few photos so that I may learn a little bit more about these particular speakers. Maybe you experts can tell me something. I was able to successfully remove the grills too.

serial#: 3A 02444 & 3A 02454

Thanks!

-Mike

post-102841-1196949664.jpg

post-102841-1196949692.jpg

post-102841-1196949700.jpg

post-102841-1196949715.jpg

I'm posting a few photos so that I may learn a little bit more about these particular speakers. Maybe you experts can tell me something. I was able to successfully remove the grills too.

Thanks!

-Mike

Congradulation Mike

You just Won the Lottery in the World of vintage AR speakers. These early version of AR-3a speakers will sound great with your vintage McIntosh gears. They are in very good shapes regardless of small ding on one of the tweeter dome! Hold onto the restoration process for a little while since there will be a detailed AR-3a restoration documentation put together by John O'hanlon from soup to nuts to lead you and everyone else through the complete process in this AR Forum...

Minh Luong

Maybe you experts can tell me something. I was able to successfully remove the grills too.

Mike:

You have a pair of very early 3a, probably made in the first or second month of production - about Nov or Dec of 1967. Later when you get into them, I will ask you to look for a date stamp in a couple of places and find exact mfr date of some of the parts. The document Minh refers to is something a half-dozen of us have been working on since August. Mark should be mounting it tonight in the AR section of the Libary. We will give you the pointer when he has it loaded. Of course you are excited, but please wait until you download the restoration document before going any further. It will get you through the process in an efficent manner.

Cheers, John

Thank you Minh and John for you replies.

I feel very fortunate for my curb-side find and I want to take all necessary steps and precautions to restore this pair. I'm very much looking forward to following the restoration document. Thanks for pointing that out to me. John, I will certainly let you know what dates I find stamped when I get inside.

I'm happy to aboard!

-Mike

I'm happy to say that I got all the drivers to work tonight.

Definitely bad pots.

Although, one speaker does sound better than the other. The

"bad" speaker might have a blown woofer. It emits a rattle

or buzzing sound. The other "good" speaker does not do the same.

It emits nice base. Well, decent base.

The woofers are very dirty and could use a cleaning. Will a damp

cloth do the trick? I guess I should ask if wetting a driver at all

will be harmful.

Thanks.

-Mike

I'm happy to say that I got all the drivers to work tonight.

Definitely bad pots.

Although, one speaker does sound better than the other. The

"bad" speaker might have a blown woofer. It emits a rattle

or buzzing sound. The other "good" speaker does not do the same.

It emits nice base. Well, decent base.

The woofers are very dirty and could use a cleaning. Will a damp

cloth do the trick? I guess I should ask if wetting a driver at all

will be harmful.

Thanks.

-Mike

Before you do anything--download and read the EXCELLENT booklet now in the library:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/_Media/...the-ar-3a-2.pdf

I'm sure all CSP members will thank Roy Champagne, Ken Kantor, Minh Luong, John O'Hanlon (Happy Birthday to you), Bret Thiel and Tom Tyson for this excellent, informative, well-illustrated Labor of Love! Great job!

Before you do anything--download and read the EXCELLENT booklet now in the library:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/_Media/...the-ar-3a-2.pdf

I'm sure all CSP members will thank Roy Champagne, Ken Kantor, Minh Luong, John O'Hanlon (Happy Birthday to you), Bret Thiel and Tom Tyson for this excellent, informative, well-illustrated Labor of Love! Great job!

WOW! Fantastic work! A lot can be applied to the AR-3 I'm sure. Thanks for all the hard work!

Archived