EPI cabinet

Guest molecules

Guest molecules

I have a pair of EPI 100's that I just re-surrounded. Problem is,one of them turns out to have a buzzing cabinet. The back plate at the bottom is a little loose, and it buzzes. It is just glued on and it is just tight enough that I don't think I can get any glue into it.

Anyone have a trick to repair these ?

Dave

• 4 weeks later...

do you have a photo?

Sometimes glue can be forced into a joint with a knife blade or razor blade, then clamp the cabinet overnight. Gorilla Glue will expand, so if you can work some of that in, it may do the trick. If not, try glueing a piece of wood on the inside of the cabinet, all along that corner seam (if I understand where this joint is). Some screws in the block wouldn't hurt.

There are also cabinet-damping materials that stick to the inside of the cabinet,

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cf...tnumber=260-520

but I think your best bet is to get some glue in there, even if you have to pry it open a little more just to glue it.

Also check out the Human Speakers site. Huw has photos of reinforcing speaker cabinets (EPI, I think) and you might even email him for tips.

http://www.humanspeakers.com/human/index.html

Good luck

Kent

Another idea......(I did this to a KLH speaker with the same problem), tap the plate completely loose, then clamp some vise grips to one of the wire terminals (be careful - EPI terminals are fragile), then put some epoxy on the edges of the plate, finaly - place the speaker - grill facing up on two chairs.....let the weight of vise grips hold the plate in place.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest molecules

I tried this, and it seems OK so far. I removed the drivers and fiberglass, gently pressed out the back, glued with gorilla glue and placed several heavy speakers on top while it dried.

• 3 months later...
I tried this, and it seems OK so far. I removed the drivers and fiberglass, gently pressed out the back, glued with gorilla glue and placed several heavy speakers on top while it dried.

Gorilla glue will definitely work but one thing you can also do (assuming you have access into the cabinet) is spray a very small amount of water first. Remember not much just a little bit! This will make the Gorilla Glue swell before it dries. Read the label.

Yank

Archived