Advent Refoam advice/ Advent advice

Guest ed

Hi, I am new to this forum. I have not had a good music system for many years, not that I ever had anything great. I have managed to hang onto a Marantz 2215 reciever but have not had speakers and I recently found a pair of Advent Loudspeakers and a pair of Advent/1 speakers at a thrift store on two different visits. ($18 and $10). Anything anyone can tell me about these is appreciated. Both have orange tweeters and need new foam for the woofers. Well one of the advent Loudspeakers woofers foam is actually ok, no tears or rips and the other one is half disinigrated. I have read through some of the posts here about refoaming and googled for the foam and I find a wide range of prices. Will someone recommend an inexpensive source for the foam please? What size woofers are these? 10”? I am not sure where to measure. I found someone on ebay selling the refoam kit who claims that his are closer to the original size concerning the roll. Here is a link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Advent-10-Metal-Frame-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone here dealt with this seller? Also, on closer inspection of the Advent/1’s I see an adhesive residue. I imagine that someone tried to repair the foam by applying the adhesive onto the edge. The foam is now almost completely gone but the adhesive remains on the two edges where the foam would touch, the metal and the woofer. It is thick, rubbery, and clear, almost like a silicone caulk. Any suggestions about what to do about this adhesive will be appreciated. Should I leave it? I tried removing it and I think that I can peel it off if I am careful. I can take photos if it is helpful. Thanks Ed

>George and Allison have the best kit I know of and also do a

>very good job of refoaming for those so inclined. I would get

>A3, A4, U3 or U4 New Large Advents before considering the

>Advent/1.

>

>http://cgi.ebay.com/Large-Advent-Speaker-F...1QQcmdZViewItem

>

>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...LDER:SIMPLEITEM

Thanks for the information about the refoam kits. I will keep an eye out for the other models (I think I am becoming addicted)I did buy both pairs I described above. I feel like I got a bargain, maybe not. What do others think, did I get a good deal? What is the values on these?

Thanks, Ed

>Advent/1.

>

>

Are the the models that you mentioned clearly labeled? I am not sure what the Loudspeakers model number is that I purchased.

Hi Ed,

Welcome to the forum.

The models jackfish named are all different iterations of "The New Advent Loudspeaker".

The original "The Advent Loudspeaker" have masonite ringed woofers and the woofers are located closer to the bottom of the cabinet. They also have the tweeters that are mounted on a square of masonite (turned at different angles to allow access to the mounting screws) that is set out about 1/2" from the metal plate. These all have serial numbers from very low numbers up to about 299,999 (theoretically, anyway). The genuine Walnut veneered speakers are prefixed with an "A". The utility versions are prefixed with a "U" and are covered with a vinyl walnut-like covering.

These prefixes were continued with the New Advents and the "3" or "4" really is just the first number of the new serial numbers which started with 300,000 and then 400,000.

The New Advents have all-metal framed woofers and the tweeters are mounted flush in the metal plate. The woofer is closer to the center of the speaker board. The front of the cabinet is also rounded instead of beveled as on the original Advents.

Your Advent/1s have the same drivers as the New Advents in a smaller cabinet. These actually are imprinted to reflect the model. The large size Advents just say "The Advent Loudspeaker" on the backs and you determine which ones they are by the features (although the originals also say something like "Designed by Henry Kloss").

There were different iterations within the originals in that they changed components in the crossovers over the life of production. I don't know if there were any changes here in the New Advents.

The Original advents were made from 1969 through 1976 and maybe into 1977. The New Advents were introduced in 1977 and the advent/1 shortly thereafter.

Hope this is clear and helps you to identify your speakers.

Doug

Oops. forgot to mention that, yes you did get good deals and, yes, the woofers are nominally 10" woofers.

Peel that old adhesive off before you refoam. Down to bare metal (or masonite) and cone edge is best.

Doug

Thanks for the explanation of the different models of Advents. I now know that I have the "New Advents", no masonite, metal framed woofers, I have the veneer version. I see the serial number on a paper glued to the back of the Advent/1's but it is missing from the "New Advents".

I started to remove the old adhesive from the Advent/1's, they seem to be in worse condition so I figured they could be my practice pair for refoaming. I think they may have been previously refoamed. I am having difficulty removing the adhesive previously used, it is like a clear silicone caulk. I examined the damaged "New Advent" woofer and the foam adhesive on it peels off much easier, from the metal anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or how to remove the old adhesive from the Advent/1? I tried rubbing alcohol and it did not seem to help.

Ed

>Thanks for the explanation of the different models of

>Advents. I now know that I have the "New Advents",

>no masonite, metal framed woofers, I have the veneer version.

>I see the serial number on a paper glued to the back of the

>Advent/1's but it is missing from the "New

>Advents".

>

>I started to remove the old adhesive from the Advent/1's, they

>seem to be in worse condition so I figured they could be my

>practice pair for refoaming. I think they may have been

>previously refoamed. I am having difficulty removing the

>adhesive previously used, it is like a clear silicone caulk. I

>examined the damaged "New Advent" woofer and the

>foam adhesive on it peels off much easier, from the metal

>anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do or how

>to remove the old adhesive from the Advent/1? I tried rubbing

>alcohol and it did not seem to help.

>

>Ed

Yeah, some elbow grease and a good, sharp woodworking chisel. It works quite well. Take it from someone who had done tons of refoams.

Have fun!

Remember, it's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

>Advent/1.

>

>

Do you know if the surrounds that George and Allison sell are the same (foam thickness and the roll size, height) as the originals on the New Advents and Advent/1?

Ed,

I recently refoamed my AR 2ax speakers and was very happy with the kit, instructions, and email support from MSound. Here is their website, with step-by-step instructions for refoaming. All it takes is the hand of a surgeon and the patience of a saint :-)

Seriously--it's not hard. Follow the directions EXACTLY. Take your time. Enjoy the results.

Archived