3rd pair The Advent Loudspeaker

draftingmonkey

Sorry Vern I could'nt help myself. On another forum a member posted that there were a pair of Advent Loudspeakers at the local S.A. So taking a chance I ran over there after work and there they were, a nice, nearly perfect pair of "The New Advent Loudspeaker". My other 2 are utility cabinets and so had to break down and buy them.

Were hooked up to a large screen TV so I could tell they worked. Other than the obvious of needing to be refoamed seem to be in great shape. The walnut cabinets are so much nicer, may have to demote the utility cabinets to my listening room and the new cabinets to the family room. All this of course for the outrageous price (marked down 50% BTW) of $8.75. I guess this may be the beginning of a good weekend, I hope.

Just wanted to share my good luck (at least for me).

James

Hi James;

I do hope that included all of the taxes. lol lol

Great going, James.

The price of the two logos is all you paid for.

Lucky you, poor wife.

All kidding aside, the walnut enclosures are real nice looking.

Congratulations on such a great and very reasonable find, James.

Good luck.

Yeah, yeah, yeah...many of us are always 'tortured' hearing these stories from people living in cities. Those of us who live in bergs rarely see these 'deals';-) And by the time anything nice is recycled down to the S.A. or a garage sale, it looks like it served duty as a ship anchor. Such is life....enjoy your find.

You're right though about the walnuts, I scored a pair on ebay and rebuilt them. Next to my original vinyl they look princely. Now I'm looking for one of those $8.75 deals to match the ebay pair.

Vern - Yes lucky me, poor wife, but she accepts my slight audio craze, which makes me more than doubly lucky.

Kevin - I wish I did make more great finds. First pair of speakers I ever picked up at a thrift store. BTW wish I was in the bergs (or home in Spokane). Miss the elbow room.

Doug - Yes, am considering trying a triple stack. Have to decide to try either a Pioneer SX-980 running two pair on A & B and using the amp section of a SX-780 for the third pair; or my just received Yamaha CX-1000, dual amp capable, running a Yamaha B-2 and a MX-600. Have to think about it while I wait for new surrounds to arrive.

Guest westend

I feel almost....outscrounged. Great deal for the walnut cabs ! I wonder if you can veneer over the utility cabs? I'm playing a single pair of large Advent with a Pioneer SX-990 as I type. I haven't serviced the receiver so the sound may improve. Seems a little too laid back compared to other receivers I've had on them. I brought a Leak 3440 back to life the other day and it was awesome with the Advents. I think a lot of that was the receiver but it was a great combination, still. How do you like the SX780?

Currently the SX-780 is doing duty in the dining room. The wife is working on a photo album on the table so I have the 780 running a pair of stacked KLH23's for her to listen to. Really sounds great. Am really pleased with the sound. Great bass response. Should give it a shot on the double Advent stack in the family room to compare.

As for covering the vinyl on my utlity cabs, I'm more into the sound than the asthetics. Easy enough to tell if you could see how beat some of the cab's are on other speakers around the house. Or maybe I'm too lazy LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

With some of the finds on eBay one could get addicted to buying Large Advents. I now have 5 pairs of the New Large Advents. I bought a pair of U4s in 1980 which I just had the foam surrounds replaced. So I now have one pair of mint A4s, two pairs of U4s in very good shape, and two pairs of U3s in fair shape. All have new or fairly new surrounds. I will soon be looking to Carl to upgrade some of the crossovers. The very good U4s are in a double Advent stack driven by two reconditioned Phase Linear 400 Series I power amps and a Harmon Kardon Citation 11. This is strictly an analog system with a Dual 1245 turntable and AT440MLa phono cartridge and borrowing friends vinyl to record on a Harmon Kardon TD4400 (Thank God one can still find Chrome tapes). Tuner is an AKAI AT-2600. This is a vintage system that really brings back memories, and it sounds pretty good too. I also bought several pairs of New Advent tweeters in case some of the others should blow. I am also playing with the idea of building a double system with the drivers aligned for better time coherency. I guess I believe you just can't have enough Large Advent, but will have to go cold turkey for a while.

Tell me about it. :^)

I currently have triple Advents in my living room and have lately been thinking about getting back into quad. At first I thought that I would go with double Advents in the front and singles in the rear but now I'm thinking it would be great to have triples in both places.

Nuts huh?

Got....to....resist... OK maybe not :^)

Doug

Guest daveshel

>Tell me about it. :^)

>

>I currently have triple Advents in my living room and have

>lately been thinking about getting back into quad. At first I

>thought that I would go with double Advents in the front and

>singles in the rear but now I'm thinking it would be great to

>have triples in both places.

>

>Nuts huh?

>

>Got....to....resist... OK maybe not :^)

>

>Doug

Not nuts. I have three pair and would buy another if they came along at the right price. I haven't tried a triple stack (because I don't want to put my amp at risk with the low impedance load) but I would love to try a quad arrangement using four double stacks.

• 1 month later...
Guest whboyd

wouldn't you wire a triple stack as series-parallel giving you a 10-11ohm load rather than a 2 ohm one?

I had double advents in the seventies - loved them and read an article about the doubles where they mentioned a triple stack but no details - now have six large advents and wondering how they are.

Any replies?

Hi Bill,

I'm actually driving each pair with a separate amp. I have three Heathkit -29 series amps (2 in the form of AA-29 and one AR-29) and this setup works very well.

Before I got the third amp, I was using one to drive the top two sets in parallel (4 ohm load) and the other to drive the bottom pair. This worked OK too but I believe that solid state amps control the lower frequencies better with an 8 ohm load (better damping factor).

Of course, if one has only one amp, then, yes, the series parallel connections would be better than the three in parallel. Very few amps would ever be able to handle that load. I don't think it would sound as good, however. Amps can be found cheap on eBay.

Doug

Archived