New Surrounds for AR2ax

speaker dave

Well, I drove down to my dad's and picked up his pair of AR2ax.

I had helped him buy them around 1980 (they are about 1970 -72 vintage). I had replaced one tweeter at the time. He enjoyed them for a number of years until his health declined. Since then the surrounds had disintegrated.

The cabinets were a little rough but I have been stripping them with repeated applications of a paint stripper and a solvent thinner. I think they will look pretty good with a coat of tongue oil but I first want to patch in a chunk of walnut to one corner that has a mild "corner crunch". I do wish the veneers of the two cabinets were a better match. The serial numbers were close but not consecutive, could that be why the veneers vary?

Anyhow, the question for the group is: who is the best source for surround replacement kits? I can do the work myself but want good fitting surrounds from a reliable source. Any experience with the various Ebay sellers?

I plan to restore these and get a vintage stereo running (Mac MX110, MC225, and dad's Dual 601). I'll probably take some response curves of them as I work on them, assuming the group is interested.

Best Regards,

David Smith

PSB Speakers

Hello David.

Check out the '10pi foam surround' threads. They are located about 13 threads down from this one.

The same information basically applies to this thread.

Good luck shopping.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

David,

There is no kit specifically made for the AR 10" woofer. Most of the generic surrounds are not as compliant as the original surrounds, or are porous, which are both potential problems for our old AR speakers.

I recently had good luck with Parts Express #260-964 kit for the JBL 125A. That surround, like the original AR surround, is very compliant, not porous and has a larger roll...and fits perfectly. The only downside is that the PE kit contains unacceptably huge dust caps. If you are not using the original dust caps, you will need to order smaller caps separately. Maybe PE would be willing to substitute smaller caps.

Speaker Works Northwest also sells that surround, and was the first to recommend it to another forum member for the AR woofer.

Roy

I would ALWAYS listen to Roy, but my first refoam project was a pair of 2ax's and I used M_Sound. The kits are VERY complete--surrounds, dust caps, shims, glue, Q-tips, brushes, sandpaper, alcohol wipes, complete instructions and helpful email support. Check it out--you can even read the instructions online. I will always go back to M_Sound for my surround kits. What I do not know, and would defer to Roy, is whether the M_Sound surrounds are of the proper compliance. I know they are specifically marketed for the 2ax

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/

Here is a link to the 2ax kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AR-2ax-or-10-Refoam-Ki...6QQcmdZViewItem

Good luck. It will take the hand of a surgeon and the patience of a saint, but the result is worth it!

Kent

PS Just noticed a glitch on that ebay page for the 2ax kit. When you go to the page it says "you have commited to buy." Must be some sort of ebay glitch. I sent an email to M_Sound to let him know.

Hi Kent,

I too have had good luck with M-Sound's service, per our earlier conversations, but I've been on the look out for something more "authentic" for quite some time...more in line with the AR 12" woofer's 5/8" replacement surround.

M-Sound's surrounds are a good quality standard type, and work satisfactorily...but they are thicker, and have a smaller roll. They were among the better surrounds I had used until the JBL surrounds were brought to my attention by another forum member, Klaus, a short while ago...see pic. The one on the right is the 5/8" roll JBL, and the left specimen is either M-Sound's or Vintage AR's (can't remember which, but they are essentially the same).

There is also an 8" version (JBL 116H/Bose301) I recently used for an AR-6 restoration with excellent results...see pic.

I have not yet seen a thinner, more compliant, non-porous surround than these for 8 or 10 inch woofers.

Roy

post-101150-1188348795.jpg

post-3-1188348795.jpg

Matt,

The surrounds are identical for the 2ax and 5.

Kent,

M_Sound may sell this surround as well. We would not have known to ask until very recently. He has a great selection of dust caps, and is very accommodating.

I doubt very many parts sellers understand the very compliant properties of the old AR foam surrounds.

Roy

Just heard back from M_Sound (he's VERY responsive to customers). He can supply the JBL surround. Here's exactly what he wrote:

I see what they're talking about now... using the JBL 125a foam for the 10" AR-2ax... Hell YeaH!!! we could do that. that looks way Kewl!! IF somebody wants to try a different kind of foam, mix up the compliances, or go with a different lay, I'm good with that! The Fact IS... MOST OF US buy from the same vendors... have the same Foams... & same Parts!!! I mean Some of US (ME) TRY to stock more Dust Caps and stuff like that... but in foams we are all pretty much the same... it just comes down to who puts together the BEST kit. Most complete, best extra, best instructions, Best Glue, etc.

Give him a try.

(No--I do NOT get a kick-back ;-) )

Kent

Archived