AR 2ax crossover mystery?

BassoRider

Hi, all!

My first post here.

I bought a pair of AR 2ax in 1975, and I'm planning to replace the caps in the crossovers. To my surprise I found 4uF caps soldered across the plus/minus terminals of the midrange elements.

I started a thread at AudioKarma...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117356

...and I was kindly adviced to post here.

Any advice on this (unusual) arrangement? Remove or replace?

post-102580-1184064921.jpg

Hi BassoRider

What does the rest of the cross-over look like? Normally there is a 4 myF for the tweeter and a 6 myF for the midrange (in series with the drivers). They are often combined in a big yellow "box" capacitor with three leads coming out. Normally 2ax also has a coil in series with the woofer.

BRgds Klaus

post-101646-1184066826.jpg

As far as I can tell a standard cross-over, with a large 50V cap with taps for 6 and 4uF. The other components I'm not sure about, but it corresponds with pictures I've seen.

I'm on vacation right now, but can post more pictures after July 20.

I'm very grateful for your interest. Maybe it's a unique speaker configuration! ;)

I am not familiar with the AR-2ax, recently acquired a set, but I haven't restored it yet. Just went out to check them, and took out one of the midrange drivers: no resistors, no capacitor. My 2ax's are from 71 with alnico magnet woofers.

Then I checked my inventory of spare drivers, somebody gave my a box with 2ax drivers some time ago, among them four spare midranges and and three of them have the two resistors and the cap, one didn't.

I think we have to have some of the hard core AR CSP members to help here.

BRgds Klaus

BassoRider,

AR did play around with the 2ax midrange in the mid 70's. We have speculated that it had something to do with a woofer change to the ceramic magnet type.

The later 2ax midrange, although appearing identical to the original, had a higher impedance...dcr of 9 ohms as opposed to 6 ohms. It appears that the addition of the resistors to the original midrange occurred during a transition period leading to the revised midrange driver.

I would leave the circuit unchanged.

Are the woofers identical?

Roy

Yes, I will leave the circuit unchanged (but with modern replacement caps). I understand now that the caps on the midrange drivers are an integral part of the crossover design. I'm sure they knew what they were doing at AR! :)

Interesting post! We will need to know the serial numbers ?

The leads are wired conventionally i.e. yellow is negative. Does it have a front or rear wired 3/4" tweeter ?

You have arrived at the right place for AR info. The AR-2ax had gone through several design modifications over its 12 year lifespan(1964-1976) It had a major redesign in 1970 and several smaller changes in the 1970-1976 period. We need to doccument these changes before we can even begin to understand the reasoning behind them. But you are correct that AR knew exactly what they were doing.

Both the woofers in your photo are "new style," post 1970, foam surround, stamped steel frame woofers, with a cone that provided very smooth midrange/midbass response. It also dampened edge reflections very well.

In 1974, the Alnico slug version was replaced by the square, ceramic magnet version that had a slightly stronger midrange output. The midrange resistors, and eventually the higher impedance mid that Roy describes is associated with these versions.

Here are befre & after pics of my AR2ax x-over upgrade. Zens are no longer available but you can use caps from Parts Express or Madisound

Kent

Guest gregounours

You did a great job inside these cabinets. I didnt bother soldering directly to the pots. I kept the original caps box and hid the new one in though.

Also my Ar2ax have serial in the 230 000 and I have the old woofer. How high did they go. I also just have a serial # related question. Does anybody knows around what serial # the switch from cloth to foam surround happened.

Greg

>

>Also my Ar2ax have serial in the 230 000 and I have the old

>woofer. How high did they go.

Not sure probably 280XXX

I also just have a serial #

>related question. Does anybody knows around what serial # the

>switch from cloth to foam surround happened.

>

>Greg

The new AR-2ax was released in 1970 at serial number 125000. The new foam surround woofer was part of that redesign.

>Hi Basso-rider

>

>Could you post a picture of the woofer from the front side?

>

>What is the number stamped on the magnet beginning with 561

>XXXX read, is it 8414 or 9414?

>BRgds Klaus

>

Checked my EIA codes but couldn't find 561 on the list. Waldom Electronics EIA number is close. Could it be them that fabricated woofers for AR?

Carl

Carl's Custome Loudspeakers

Archived