AR9, recommended amps.

dingus

i hear you Matt, there is no substitute for trying equipment for yourself. i just assumed the Rotel would not match the Yamaha in terms of gain, which would throw the sound out of balance.

in this case i think the 9's just 'like' the Rotel. i know it sounds goofy but the 9's sound relaxed, almost like they enjoy what the Rotel is giving them. i guess its one of those serendipitous moments of positive component synergy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Gisslen

i have two pairs of 9's, and i run 4 crown macro tech ma2402 power amps. i bi-wire them, and always use the same brand and model to reduce the chance of a phase difference. they are way over-powered, but the amps run cool, and them 9's really pound!!! i also run a sunfire sub(really no need)the crowns put out 750 maximum average watts per channel w/a 20-20khz signal. crown used to make a ma1200, and a ma1202 with about half the power........ john

>i have two pairs of 9's, and i run 4 crown macro tech ma2402

>power amps. i bi-wire them, and always use the same brand

>and model to reduce the chance of a phase difference. they

>are way over-powered, but the amps run cool, and them 9's

>really pound!!! i also run a sunfire sub(really no need)the

>crowns put out 750 maximum average watts per channel w/a

>20-20khz signal. crown used to make a ma1200, and a ma1202

>with about half the power........ john

thats a massive amount of available power. are you bi-amping vertically or horizontally, and if you've tried both ways, which do you find preferable?

Guest John Gisslen

vertical.....yes........and

vertical....check out following web pages....may be helpful

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/archive/in...php/t-9652.html

http://www.soundstage.com/synergize/synergize031998.htm

the second one might stir the pot on bi-wire vs. biamp discussions.......i hate to be a pot stirrer, so i guess i'll go crank up the 9's.......hope you find it interesting

john

>>O.K. Wisemhiemer.

>>I just know I want to be your friend if any of that's

>true, do

>>you really have that amount? No no one does except that

>guy in

>>1975's Stereo Review' Mag.

>>What amps are you using my friend?

>>Is it much of a drive for me to get there from NY?

>>I can't watt to come over, I am coming over aren't I?

>>I really do like pizza, I'll keep it low priced for you,

>I

>>tired of that make a big impression stuff anyway, since

>about

>>'82.

>>My friend and certainly yours, FM

>Ok Frank I'm going to say it now that they are all here I have

>8 LST 3 LST IIs and three AR mst1's

>now for the sad part tweeters and two don't have crossovers

>yet

>The 3 LSTs are up and running shortly two more will be done

>but one cabinet is in bad shape will need work so I need 12

>tweeters and two crossovers also need 6 LST II tweeters

>would be real nice to just order them and be done with it but

>we can'ty that is why its a hobby

>by the way for now I have 250 watt audiosource mono blocks not

>impressed at all with them could slap them on my peavey

>sc1200 watt

>sorry frank but it could be another year before they are all

>up. two LST in each corner and two stacked lst IIs for a

>center channel I have over 700 quad lps and tapes so i will be

>in roundhome music bliss.

>lost of dvdaudio and dts music also.

>Bass not sure if its enough 8 12s and two tens what do you

>think

>cheers.

>Jim

9-5-07

Mr. Roundhome,

Holy, moley, sorry I just now caught this, wow, I knew I would be your friend, especially if and when you might decide to sell all of those LST's- you are my friend aren't you? Well answer me, my friend correct, why I oughta!

I can only imagine what the hell all that stuff sounds like, pardon, I'm a LST fan also, but I only have 4 LST's, what is it like to own eight of those mothers? I must say you've served only to make me listen to my four and mentally 'block-out' what you've got. I'll just pretend I never read this and that you're probably lying.

All in good faith 'ole chap, all in good faith, you rat, erh, my friend that is. Now I must get back to the other guys regarding this 'plague' of a mess that me and some other guys here got ourselves into when we started replacing out burnt out tweeters in those very same LST's, by the way, how are you making out der with 8 of 'em- don't you have to start talking about this issue also?

All in jest with the hard words above of course.

My friend and certainly yours when you're ready to dump those LST's on me.

FM

P.S. Not that I can ever match having eight AR-LST's, but my four LST's, four AR-3a's and my four AR-2ax's and two AR-4ax's aren't anything to sneeze at either- wisenhiemer! Ya see, my "Structo" trucks beat your cheap plastic trucks and my green soldiers out number your cowboys and indians and horses- so there! Oh yeah, my baseball cards are better than yours too, 'ole chap.

>>>O.K. Wisemhiemer.

>>>I just know I want to be your friend if any of that's

>>true, do

>>>you really have that amount? No no one does except

>that

>>guy in

>>>1975's Stereo Review' Mag.

>>>What amps are you using my friend?

>>>Is it much of a drive for me to get there from NY?

>>>I can't watt to come over, I am coming over aren't I?

>>>I really do like pizza, I'll keep it low priced for

>you,

>>I

>>>tired of that make a big impression stuff anyway,

>since

>>about

>>>'82.

>>>My friend and certainly yours, FM

>>Ok Frank I'm going to say it now that they are all here I

>have

>>8 LST 3 LST IIs and three AR mst1's

>>now for the sad part tweeters and two don't have

>crossovers

>>yet

>>The 3 LSTs are up and running shortly two more will be

>done

>>but one cabinet is in bad shape will need work so I need

>12

>>tweeters and two crossovers also need 6 LST II tweeters

>>would be real nice to just order them and be done with it

>but

>>we can'ty that is why its a hobby

>>by the way for now I have 250 watt audiosource mono blocks

>not

>>impressed at all with them could slap them on my peavey

>>sc1200 watt

>>sorry frank but it could be another year before they are

>all

>>up. two LST in each corner and two stacked lst IIs for a

>>center channel I have over 700 quad lps and tapes so i

>will be

>>in roundhome music bliss.

>>lost of dvdaudio and dts music also.

>>Bass not sure if its enough 8 12s and two tens what do

>you

>>think

>>cheers.

>>Jim

>

>

>9-5-07

>Mr. Roundhome,

>Holy, moley, sorry I just now caught this, wow, I knew I would

>be your friend, especially if and when you might decide to

>sell all of those LST's- you are my friend aren't you? Well

>answer me, my friend correct, why I oughta!

>I can only imagine what the hell all that stuff sounds like,

>pardon, I'm a LST fan also, but I only have 4 LST's, what is

>it like to own eight of those mothers? I must say you've

>served only to make me listen to my four and mentally

>'block-out' what you've got. I'll just pretend I never read

>this and that you're probably lying.

>All in good faith 'ole chap, all in good faith, you rat, erh,

>my friend that is. Now I must get back to the other guys

>regarding this 'plague' of a mess that me and some other guys

>here got ourselves into when we started replacing out burnt

>out tweeters in those very same LST's, by the way, how are you

>making out der with 8 of 'em- don't you have to start talking

>about this issue also?

>All in jest with the hard words above of course.

>My friend and certainly yours when you're ready to dump those

>LST's on me.

>FM

>

>P.S. Not that I can ever match having eight AR-LST's, but my

>four LST's, four AR-3a's and my four AR-2ax's and two AR-4ax's

>aren't anything to sneeze at either- wisenhiemer! Ya see, my

>"Structo" trucks beat your cheap plastic trucks and

>my green soldiers out number your cowboys and indians and

>horses- so there! Oh yeah, my baseball cards are better than

>yours too, 'ole chap.

Frank Yes I them all and it would not be fair to you to list all the AR speakers I have. by the way I live in Sardinia for two years would like to go back sone day still have a freind there.

also i have the same tweeter problem also need two crossovers yet, to get them all up. just finishing up restoration of two that will give me five up and running.

by the way MY 1961 chevy Impala can beat your old riv. 1985 corvett under it with a 383 multy port fuel injected stroker motor I used to build Tom Snevas engines back in the days he was My school teacher before the race thing.:) don't worry there is always someone with more toys

I will try to get a stacked pic for you all 8 LST and the 3 LST II's and the 3 mst's

• 10 months later...

update ....

after a satisfying interlude, with a very nice Rotel RB-970 BX and its very modest 60wpc on the top end, i was able to find a Yamaha M-2 which is now pulling duty on the low end and the B-2x has been moved to the top. the result is an even smoother sound that doesnt become unbalanced at higher levels. for the first time i am driving my 9's with a fair amount of power, its simply awesome.

Good gosh have I been quoted here?

My humble thanks for such a noted session to me and my personal insanity.

I've been away for a short time and came home to this.

Do I look red-faced, cause I'm blushing all over and I’m gushing with AR-pride!

I haven't hooked-up my 6 AR-3a's yet, but when I do I will quote this page and include all of it in my fondness of these

AR speaker memories on this sight. Damn, somebody hand me a tissue.

My LST's ,my AR-3a's and those 2a's and 4ax's and those 6- PL400's

thank all of you, every where!

I have many more friends than I've ever thunk!

With too much happiness, the 'world's friend', Frank Marsi

P.S. Good gosh I have been quoted here? It was if I was in an 'out-of-body' experience, I don't believe it's happening.

I'm going to sleep tonight knowing that I am truly loved by

the world's only site for 'dyed in the wool' AR freaks, oh thank you all!

My humble thanks for such a noted and appreciated session to me and my speakers and amps!

A humbled AR person who loves everyone, everywhere!

Do I tend to get nuts? Perhaps

FM

7-15-08

The suggestion of the Heath AA-1800 is a good one. This is indeed a very clean sounding amp that is among the most powerfull into a demanding real world load.

The Heath would be ideal on the low end.

What about Tubes for the high end ? Harmon Kardon Citation-II would sound wonderfull, as would a pair of Dynco MK-III.

I am currently using a NAD 7140 receiver to power my pair of Heath AS-103 (Heath AR-3a). The NAD is stable into 2 ohms and will deliver 80wpc+ into a 4ohm load. It will already play louder than I can stand with plenty of reserve. Bass response is nice and tight. Before the NAD, I used a Mac 2100, which delivers 100wpc and is stable into low loads.

Best,

Ross

Guest ARman

Hi,

thx for your reply to drive my AR9s am using a JVC M3030 P3030 main/pre amp had it recentely repaired/overalled the measured output B4 clipping was 118 WRMS into 8 ohms load so i quess it must be around 150-160 into 4 ohms load the pre amp had an input for MC two tape decks is very well build 19 kilos massive transformers n heat sinks

i never Bi amped any system so can't comment on that but ithe JVC is a huge improvement over my old amps n am very happy with the sound maybe you could try one? BUT is doesn't come close to the sound of a hi end valve amp

Regars

The suggestion of the Heath AA-1800 is a good one. This is indeed a very clean sounding amp that is among the most powerfull into a demanding real world load.

The Heath would be ideal on the low end.

What about Tubes for the high end ? Harmon Kardon Citation-II would sound wonderfull, as would a pair of Dynco MK-III.

I am currently using a NAD 7140 receiver to power my pair of Heath AS-103 (Heath AR-3a). The NAD is stable into 2 ohms and will deliver 80wpc+ into a 4ohm load. It will already play louder than I can stand with plenty of reserve. Bass response is nice and tight. Before the NAD, I used a Mac 2100, which delivers 100wpc and is stable into low loads.

Best,

Ross

One of the unspoken aspects of the AA-1800 is its transparency, or abiliity to not have a particular sound of it's own. This particular amp easily takes on the characteristics of whatever preamp is driving it. I've listened to these amps being driven by their matching Ap-1800 preamp and they sound like a decent solid state amp. I've also listened to them being driven by a Rogue 66 and 99 preamp, and they are stunning. They are stable to about 2 ohms and one can easily handle a pair of AR9's under most conditions but 've no doubt what so ever a pair of the amps will perform even better. Their high fequency response BTW is excellent.... if the internal coax hasn't turned green with age, but thats another story for another thread.

Richard Crain

currently i'm using a Luxman R-117 (160wpc) receiver to drive the high's on my 9's, a Yamaha B-2x (a very strong 170wpc) drives the lows. i'm looking for a suitable replacement for the Luxman, something that will compliment the Yamaha. i had experimented with a Sansui 1000a tube receiver and it sounded great, but i had to take it out due to its finicky and deteriorating condition. i wouldnt mind trying another tube amp, but i really like the convenience of solid state gear.

so anyone got any recommendations? thanks.

Have a look at www.ciaudio.com and consider getting a Class D amp. Dusty makes great amps which are very neutral sounding - neither warm nor lifeless metallic. Also Class D amps run at very high efficiences compared with Class A and Class AB amps. So basically you will have no problems driving any AR speakers.

Dusty is taking out a D500 model - which I have prototyped.... on my AR94si and they sounded amazing. I will be using those to power the AR9s that I am currently re-building.

Currently I am using the D200s to drive the AR94si speakers that I have.

Good luck...! KKC.

Archived