8" Replacement Surrounds Revisited

Rich W

Some of you may recall my earlier post regarding the correct replacement foam surrounds for my AR18's. Most seemed far to thick and not very compliant.

In my subsequent research, I've found that the surrounds from Parts Express are the most supple, and also have the widest semi-circular ring (which also contributes to the overall compliance). Using these surrounds, I measured a respectable Fs of 31.5 hz on my refoamed woofers. Not the 27 hz the spec indicates, but not far off.

Obviously, the PE surrounds may not be best for other woofers sizes, and your mileage may vary for the 8", but I just wanted to pass along this info for the forum at large.

Best Regards,

Rich W

Refoamed some 8 inch woofers from an AR90 recently (p/n 200001-1) and discovered a black, polymer dust cap beneath a 3 inch diameter screen dust cap.

Anybody know why this arrangment exists? Any sonic benefit or, was it just done for aesthetics?

I believe they were original owner drivers that had never been worked on.

It's all about the music

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

I used a M-Sound 8" kit for a set EPI's which I refoamed and was very satisfied.

I have neither the knowledge or equipment to be able to physically measure the woofer performance but I was happy with the quality of the refoam kit and the speakers sound great.

Bob

• 2 years later...
Are these the surrounds you're talking about?

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-920

Got another pair of AR18s to do. I normally buy surrounds from Larry vintage-ar on ebay, which are fine, but would be good to try the PE surrounds.

This 8 inch Bose/ JBL surround is the most compliant surround I have used with AR-6 woofers. The roll is also large, like the original.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-914

Fs ranged from 27hz to 29hz among 4 woofers after re-foaming.

The 10 inch version of this surround is also excellent for AR 10 inch woofers.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-964

Roy

Refoamed some 8 inch woofers from an AR90 recently (p/n 200001-1) and discovered a black, polymer dust cap beneath a 3 inch diameter screen dust cap.

Anybody know why this arrangment exists? Any sonic benefit or, was it just done for aesthetics?

It's all about the music

Carl

I can only speculate, Carl, but I've seen cases where the best frequency response came from a small but ugly dustcap. Then for aesthetics a larger dustcap was put over the top of it. It might also relate to getting an air seal with the smaller cap.

Larger dustcaps tend to look nicer and there is even a ratio of dustcap to cone diameter that seems "right". The screen type dustcap probably has little acoustic effect.

Regards,

David

It's all about the music

Carl

Only a guess... could be a line re-work to use up some excess stock. Does the "black polymer" dustcap look like anything that was ever used in production?

Or maybe the drivers weren't quite virgin?

-k

Guest bluetomgold
This 8 inch Bose/ JBL surround is the most compliant surround I have used with AR-6 woofers. The roll is also large, like the original.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-914

Fs ranged from 27hz to 29hz among 4 woofers after re-foaming.

The 10 inch version of this surround is also excellent for AR 10 inch woofers.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=260-964

Roy

Thanks Roy.

Just tried to order from the Parts Express website and they have a minimum order amount, plus high shipping sharges on such a light item. Any chance anyone here would be willing to send one to the UK in exchange for PayPal funds?

Only a guess... could be a line re-work to use up some excess stock. Does the "black polymer" dustcap look like anything that was ever used in production?

Or maybe the drivers weren't quite virgin?

-k

Sorry -K, It's been so long now, I can't remember the details. :angry:

Sorry -K, It's been so long now, I can't remember the details. :angry:

Yeah, I can relate to that....

So, I just thought of another speculative possibility: sometimes it is desired to fit additional moving mass to a woofer to adjust its small signal parameters and response curve. Could be a fix, or a new design that requires more mass than the cone and coil can provide on their own. Putting the added (non-magnetic) mass behind the dustcap is a common approach. It's well-centered, provides a strong point for the attachment, etc. Could be that the inner cap is covering some solder weights, lead shot mixed with epoxy, etc.

-k

Thanks Roy.

Just tried to order from the Parts Express website and they have a minimum order amount, plus high shipping sharges on such a light item. Any chance anyone here would be willing to send one to the UK in exchange for PayPal funds?

Have you tried Greg Barnes at speakerrepairs.co.uk ? I used their surrounds in my AR-3a improved,AR-11,AR-6 and AR-7.

They sound fine.

Mike.

Thanks Roy.

Or you could try Fred in Holland, I have used him several times, however, you have to specify that you want surrounds for the JBL drivers, if you just order for AR, you will get the thicker foam surrounds.

http://www.audiofriends.nl/speakerfoam/en/

BRgds Klaus

Thanks Roy.

I always use M Sound kits. Very complete, fairly priced, good support. Here is his "how-to" page. Look for link to his store near the bottom of the page

Kent

http://www.citlink.net/~msound/refoam/index.htm

oops--just checked the shipping charge to the UK. OUCH! :angry: You could try emailing him to see if it will really cost $32 USD to ship, or follow the recommendations above for sellers in the EU.

Good luck

K

Archived