Ar9, modulus and impedance argument before and after recap

Measurements before recap show a minimum impedance of 2.79 ohms at 57Hz, after recap of 3.25 ohms between 50 and 65Hz. The capacitors were all out of specification, especially those in the 2500uF impedance compensation cell on the woofers.

IMG_20240428_193000.jpg

IMG_20240428_193312.jpg

Particularly interested in this;  "especially those in the 2500uF impedance compensation".

Were they far out ? Many seem to say to not bother changing these, I suspect partly because of some difficulty in finding the correct value/s ?

I am in the UK and may well have to resort to purchasing from the U.S. (Madisound or other ?) with the additional costs of doing so.

Hi Giovanni.

Most unlike you to not come back on this ?🙂.

I (and likely others?) would be very interested in how far out the big cap's were ?

Also which make (brand) they were ?

Thanks in anticipation, Lance.

5 hours ago, lance G said:

Hi Giovanni.

E' molto contrario a te non tornare su questo argomento? 🙂 .

Io (e probabilmente altri?) Sarei molto interessato a quanto erano distanti le big cap?

Inoltre, di quale marca (marca) erano?

Grazie in anticipo, Lance.

Callins, they were out of specification, measured on three LCRs gave values from 4800uF to 5200uF, to be thrown in the puddle.

Many thanks to you Giovanni,

Attached picture is of one of my original crossovers before recapping all EXCEPT for the 2500 uF. Apparently mine are Callins as yours were, so seems like it's time to change them out !

Your information is really useful to me as I was given the impression, including from the forum, that it was acceptable to leave the 2500uF cap's in place as they are considered to be "historically robust".

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, lance G said:

Many thanks to you Giovanni,

Attached picture is of one of my original crossovers before recapping all EXCEPT for the 2500 uF. Apparently mine are Callins as yours were, so seems like it's time to change them out !

Your information is really useful to me as I was given the impression, including from the forum, that it was acceptable to leave the 2500uF cap's in place as they are considered to be "historically robust".

image.jpeg

I first measured them and then replaced them; if in the measurement I had found values, at least on two instruments in the tolerance range of the component, I would not have changed them; by the way, such high capacitance values are difficult to measure correctly. Even the 470 uF Callins was totally "off."