Model Seventeens with my crazy crossover

RHollingsworth3

Spouse found these Model Seventeens in a resale shop for $26 and called me to see if I wanted them. I told her $26 was high but OK I would take a chance. Good choice.

The cabinets are pristine, not a mark on them, all corners intact. The grilles also excellent shape. The drivers look OK to me. I figured they were later models because of the brown/reddish grill cloth. Upon removing the woofer, I saw a stencil of "JS 8 11 73 LINE 2" inside.

The cabinet particle board has a coarser density than what I remember the older models had, maybe a cost-saving choice. It did present an issue for the tweeter, which was off-center enough that the mounting screw was too near the opening and was coming through. I rotated the driver 45 degrees and made four new holes for mounting.

The woofer (which lacks the big "17" mark on it) looks fine but I am wondering if the dust cap is loose or only looks that way. What do you think?

If you are looking at my crossover design you are probably saying "Whaaat?" Well, the idea was to use film caps at the lowest possible cost. We are all aware how shipping costs can vastly inflate the final cost of otherwise inexpensive parts. I already had a few 1uF film caps and I found these uxcell (chinese) 1uF film caps, bag of 20 new caps for $5 shipping included on amazon. Hence the crossover design using all 1uF caps.

So I am now out $31 for this pair of beautiful-looking, nice-sounding Seventeens.

The speakers sound fine. Any advantages or disadvantages to doing crossover this way that you can see?

Cabinet.jpg

20231020_095441.jpg

WooferCone.jpg

DustCap.jpg

Tags2.jpg

CrossoverPic-Schem.png

20231024_221356.jpg

Welcome back "cousin" 😉

What a great find! (and great spouse!). 

Not sure about the dust cap. How does the woofer do with a push test? If it springs back maybe try a little white glue around the cap. If it still springs back use some of Roy's goo on the surrounds.

Regarding the caps, I hope someone with more expertise chimes in but I don't see a problem. What are the implications for ESR? I dunno. I do know, from working on Snells, that Peter Snell was an advocate of "bundling" caps, so you're in good company.

Kent

On 3/12/2024 at 10:28 AM, JKent said:

Not sure about the dust cap. How does the woofer do with a push test? If it springs back maybe try a little white glue around the cap. If it still springs back use some of Roy's goo on the surrounds.

Regarding the caps, I hope someone with more expertise chimes in but I don't see a problem. What are the implications for ESR? I dunno. I do know, from working on Snells, that Peter Snell was an advocate of "bundling" caps, so you're in good company.

Kent

The dust cap is original.

I agree with Kent. It all looks good from here, including that fancypants capacitor arrangement! 🙂 Not sure of an any upside, but I'm certain they will do the job very well.

Roy

Much obliged. Glad to be back here, and thanks again to Kent for the assist.

Has anyone that you know of replaced the stock terminals on the Seventeen with banana jacks?

I've done so with my 4311s and my Advent/1s, but I'm reluctant here because (1) there is the special challenge of the metal back plate and (2) it seems maybe a little like heresy.

2 hours ago, RHollingsworth3 said:

Much obliged. Glad to be back here, and thanks again to Kent for the assist.

Has anyone that you know of replaced the stock terminals on the Seventeen with banana jacks?

I've done so with my 4311s and my Advent/1s, but I'm reluctant here because (1) there is the special challenge of the metal back plate and (2) it seems maybe a little like heresy.

I wouldn't be concerned about going to banana jacks as long as you are aware of the need for insulating gaskets to prevent a short through the metal terminal plate. They will also extend further out from the back of the cabinet (if that is something that matters to you). You could also just use inline banana jacks.

#8 ring connectors, my preference, will also provide a secure connection and is an easier approach than installing banana jacks.

Whatever method you use to connect your speaker wire, it is a good idea not to simply wrap it around the terminals.