AR4x replacement tweeter recomendations?

So ready to try this out. The resultant DCR is 4.34 ohms, very close to the 4.7 ohms of my original 4x tweeters. 

I’ll disconnect the mod’d PRT, then wire this directly to the wires coming from the crossover. I’ll run the wires to the trial tweeter behind the PRT tweeter seal, then screw the disconnected PRT back in place to seal the baffle. I’ll mount this trial tweeter in foam on top of the 4x cabinet.

IMG-3553.jpg

IMG-3552.jpg

IMG-3554.jpg

IMG-3555.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sound comparison. Original AR tweeter vs 2” paper cone tweeter. I may have the AR turned up a tad more than the 2” paper cone. 

To me, the 2” is a near dead ringer for the AR original tweeter. 

But neither the 2” paper cone nor the AR tweeter have the “air” of the modified PRT. 

But since this thread is about a “replacement” AR tweeter, the 2” paper cone press-fit is an inexpensive alternative, and near “dead ringer” for the original. Just have to get creative for a face plate.

Original AR-4x tweeter:

2” paper cone tweeter:

Since I have the external tweeter set up, I’m going to try a few tweeters that I have in my spare parts inventory. Just for grins and giggles. These of course will depart from the legacy look/fit/design, since they are silk dome tweeters. Just curious as to how they’ll sound.

But right now, I still have the 2” paper cone tweeter in play. Listening to some Bert Kaempfert music. Uncanny closeness to the original AR tweeter.

• 4 weeks later...