SRT-380

Andre_Db66

Could just mean that the license was issued by "Teledyne Acoustic Research." As far as we know, AR never actually operated their own manufacturing facilities outside the US. They either licensed their IP to others or contracted others to manufacture for them.

Isnt that a predominantly USA productline?

Very similar drivers and it seems not bass reflex.

TSW - Next to none on craigslist in EU.

SRT i have also never seen in Holland. The guy who sold them to me said they are very unkown here, and i mentioned how the saying goes in this country...

Looking at fleebay listing the brochure cannot be sent to Netherlands. Will PM them.

From the letters of the serial numbers, the prefix E indicates the country of construction, therefore England, as also visible in its speakers also in those of RoyC's photo, could be a range, unfortunately limited perhaps due to poor sales, dedicated only to England with perhaps some couple shipped to other states? 

However, the visible set of SRT-380 speakers denotes valid components and a cabinet with an appearance that in some aspects recalls the past, I am convinced that the classic AR sound is largely maintained, but adapted to changed times, proof is the much more efficient performance compared to the classic 86db, I think they can play monstrously loud!

Monstrously loud!

I havent tried that. At least not louder than i dared without any specs available.

Although hearing the perfomance on a 100 watt tube amp, which is underrated i realise now considering the specs, i was scared of blowing them to hell, when i once tried to crank them up. I think 300 watts is very optimistic.

The more subtle approach of a single end tube amp or a small Bryston gave me great satisfaction at normal listening levels. Nice low bass and natural laid back mid/highs.

I found another AR item today with 15 inch woofer, so the SRT is not lonesome. However the build is quite different and the manufacturer presumably also. The hires series AR-1 with Sunfire bass amp. It should work also very well with low power amps as it is helped by the 500 watt bass amp. This model however is acoustic suspension. Strangely enough named after the first model ever.... confusing a search even here on CSP.

19 hours ago, Aadams said:

It is an ebay listing for the brochure.

image.png.b4b6161469e716a2d461323ef3100296.pngimage.thumb.jpeg.2f6ddb6b94789b1134cd3eca0c1db5ac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.0ef917430db1fc0f28c30888201068e8.jpeg

Aadams in the first photo which illustrates the range of speakers in a classic way, the SRT-380 in the foreground, majestic in size, seems to evoke a much later heir to the AR9... and I don't rule out that it sounds at similar levels.

I hooked up these babies to a Accuphase C222 with a Sansui AU-919 as the power amp, separated from the integrated pre.

It is amazing how much volume displacement it can achieve and sound good at the same time. I cannot take the C222 from muting and the sound is deafning with no harshness and bass is quite well defined for a 15 inch soft surround edge bass reflex speaker. I am uase to JBL 15 inch bass and they have folded linnen edges which are more sturdy, giving them a little better defininition. Still a very pleasant venture and the 300 watts i would not dare to implement, i would go deaf.