Casters to ease moving KLH 5's - good/bad idea?

Quoytard

Would like to raise my 5’s. I now have them supported by wood blocks (as shown in attached photo) but wish to make them easier to move or pivot when I want to experiment with placement/sound (too old/lazy to keep getting on the floor to slide them). I’m thinking of attaching casters to the wood blocks. Would that introduce unwanted vibration/’noise’? Has anyone on this forum tried this? Success? Disaster? Is there another solution or workaround?

The blocks rest on a CoreTec floor.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Steve

IMG_0723 (2).jpg

My first thought would be to use furniture sliders, which might even damp some vibration? You can get them at WallyWorld and many other box stores.

However, I've never used them on my KLH Fives, so it's just a guess.

sliders.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

You might consider Harbor Freight's 18 in. x 12 in. 1000 lb. capacity Hardwood Dolly. This dolly has carpeted surface to protect finishes. Original KLH 5 width is 14 in., depth is 11 in. Harbor Freight identifies the dolly as a Franklin. Price $11.99 each. They look purpose built, but with a little help, could be dolled up to fit any decor.

Research at: harbor freight.comimage.thumb.jpeg.ccbce368100dbcc003d18672c8f33543.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comment/thoughts.

While casters would likely make it easier my move my speakers whenever I feel like it, I’m shying away from using them. I’m concerned that casters will introduce unwanted noise/vibration.

My next brainstorm is to use furniture moving pads - cut to fit - beneath simple speaker stands (approx. 4 inches high) being built for the 44 lb cabinets. I also plan to place audio isolation feet/pucks between the cabs and the speaker stand platform.

The aim is to enable me to (easily?) slide the speakers side-to-side/front-to-back as I wish without marking/damaging the CoreTec (wood laminate) floor. Probably not as simple to move as using casters but if the pads will offer frictionless moving. I think it will work.

Interested in opinions on this approach. What may I be missing, etc. Holes in my ‘logic’? Acoustic/sonic issues arising from the pads, perhaps?

Steve

Just to clarify, I am considering blankets that movers use when moving furniture to/from a home - not sliders that go beneath the legs of tables, couches, etc. I would cut the amount of blanket material needed to cover the bottom of each speaker stand/riser. With that in mind, any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

Blankets like that would certainly be gentle on your floors, again, if everything is clean. And there would be a damping quality. Seems like a good idea IF the blanket surface has a low enough surface friction.

Yes - I would look for good quality blankets - smooth, without harsh stitching that could become a problem. 

My original post shows the flooring - it is cleaned regularly so not overly concerned with debris that could catch on the blankets and scrape while sliding to reposition the speakers.

All in all, it's a low-cost 'test' solution - if it works, great - if not...

Is anyone on the forum familiar with Herbie's Audio Lab? They sell gliders, sound isolation disks, etc. - anyone use their products? Good? Bad? Neutral? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2023 at 10:25 AM, lARrybody said:

After I put my 9's on my set I realized how much they were missed around the house. Went back and got another set.

MI3Osc7.jpgcPGKEqj.jpg

These dollies are handy and strong. In order to rebuild my '87 911 engine, I lowered the engine/transmission assembly using two separate wheeled dollies; large under 500 pound motor, and this smaller HF dolly under the attached 150 pound 5 speed gearbox. I then raised the chassis sufficiently high to pull engine/gearbox out and away from the raised chassis. Reinstall is the reverse of removal. Simple.