question about servicing old AR3 AR2 drivers

bubu91220

I note that over time that the lines of the tweeters are very hard to solder, and I wanted to know that it was there ideal solder. the second problem is the midrange grilles which are partially unstuck. I wanted to know what was the ideal glue to glue these grids.

6 hours ago, bubu91220 said:

I note that over time that the lines of the tweeters are very hard to solder, and I wanted to know that it was there ideal solder. the second problem is the midrange grilles which are partially unstuck. I wanted to know what was the ideal glue to glue these grids.

The leads of these tweeters are aluminum and require special solder. It runs about $40/roll.

E6000 or Gorilla Clear Grip adhesive woks well for the mid screens.

Roy

On 5/24/2023 at 4:13 AM, bubu91220 said:

What is the ideal solder for old Ar2 3 tweeter rows? I tried kester 44 solder and I get poor results

The leads are probably aluminum and aluminum soldering works best with a high Tin content alloy, such as  Indalloy 121 (96.5Sn 3.5Ag, 221°C eutectic) or any of the "SAC alloys" (Tin-Silver-Copper or SnAgCu) like Ind256 (96.5Sn 3.0Ag 0.5Cu, 220°C).

17 hours ago, bubu91220 said:

Hello thank you for the information, thank you Roy for your proposal unfortunately I live in France. I managed to find a sample of allusol solder I don't know if you know.

I have never tried that one, which appears to be primarily lead (80%).

I use solder similar to the type mentioned in the Google search response posted above by David ("What kind of solder works on aluminum?").

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+kind+of+solder+works+on+aluminum&source=hp&ei=9ONyZNP0DaqhptQP5_yYsAo&iflsig=AOEireoAAAAAZHLyBA9-G94quj8-OITfb_rq6rph_aai&oq=What+kind+of+solder+works+on+aluminum%3F&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIGCAAQFhAeMggIABCKBRCGAzIICAAQigUQhgMyCAgAEIoFEIYDMggIABCKBRCGA1AAWABg8iFoAHAAeACAAVSIAVSSAQExmAEAoAECoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

Roy

On 5/27/2023 at 8:03 AM, bubu91220 said:

Hello thank you for the information, thank you Roy for your proposal unfortunately I live in France. I managed to find a sample of allusol solder I don't know if you know.

8219D455-D2DD-4626-8425-54D7642030E0.png

86E4509B-5633-4964-81E9-5C1207A66FCF.png

My Machinery's Handbook was clear about high tin content being essential and not lead. Lead is good for plumbing/copper and a few other metals.