Are AR-14 speakers worth restoring?

Guest The Enlightened One

Added another pair of AR speakers to the collection for $5 :) They need surrounds, front foam and a refinish. First off do they have any ebay value as is? What about restored? If they are not worth more than $50 restored I probably am wasting my time. Couldn't find any on Ebay or any history of a pair being sold.

As for restoring the finish I was thinking of sanding and then using linseed oil but not sure if that would be the right finish. In one picture you can see that the finish looks almost sanded. In the other the flash makes it look decent. I can't find a good picture of how the speakers should look. Most are brochures at a distance or poorly scanned.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post-102004-1160268480.jpg

post-3-1160268480.jpg

post-3-1160268481.jpg

IMHO they are worth restoring.

Finish; I am not sure on this, but AR may have offered several finishes on the AR14, like they did on earlier models. Make them look good in your eyes.

Nigel

re: Finish. Many members like Watco finishes. They make a "Danish Oil" in natural or dark walnut (I'd use natural) but I prefer their Teak Oil. Another choice is Tung Oil, although it tends to leave the finish a bit too glossy to be authentic. You can always dull it a bit with some fine steel wool (0000). If you do opt for linseed oil, be sure to use BOILED linseed oil.

• 1 month later...

I finally am getting around to finishing this project but have a few questions.

For the longest time there were no ebay auctions for these speakers until this month when two pairs showed up. They both have the newer style logos and paint job. Mine only has the brass logo on the front. Does anyone know when they cut over to the new design and are mine more rare because of the older style? Also my pair has a rough unfinished back. Would it be advisable to sand the back and paint it black like the newer version or should I leave it be?

I already sanded out most of the damage to the finish with 150 grit paper and might do another sanding with finer paper. There is a dent though in the top edge of one cabinet but I am not sure how I should approach repairing it.

Very happy with the changes already. The only challenge I see is finding replacement foam panels like these had for a cheap price.

Also thanks for the suggestion on the Watco Danish Oil. I decided on the natural finish.

>I finally am getting around to finishing this project but

>have a few questions.

>

>For the longest time there were no ebay auctions for these

>speakers until this month when two pairs showed up. They both

>have the newer style logos and paint job. Mine only has the

>brass logo on the front. Does anyone know when they cut over

>to the new design and are mine more rare because of the older

>style? Also my pair has a rough unfinished back. Would it be

>advisable to sand the back and paint it black like the newer

>version or should I leave it be?

>

>I already sanded out most of the damage to the finish with 150

>grit paper and might do another sanding with finer paper.

>There is a dent though in the top edge of one cabinet but I am

>not sure how I should approach repairing it.

>

>Very happy with the changes already. The only challenge I see

>is finding replacement foam panels like these had for a cheap

>price.

>

>Also thanks for the suggestion on the Watco Danish Oil. I

>decided on the natural finish.

Hello alot of furniture guys steam out dents with a steam iron put a towel down first.this will raise the grain around the area you then sand it carfully the walnut is good but thin. you might practice on something not good first.

and for the foam go to mcm they have foam sheats for grills different sizes takes two sets they are thin. on one cut out the holes for your divers then glue the other over it don,t get any glue in front of the drivers.

god luck

Jim

Archived