Vintage AR-91 purchase

DavidR

2 hours ago, RoyC said:

David,

I've actually been finding MDL caps to measure and perform as well as Parts Express npe caps. I use them interchangeably these days.

ERSE is the only common npe crossover cap I have found to be inferior, but I think that company went out of business.

Roy

Basically I do not approve of the dinky (very thin) leads. But, yes, they do tend to measure well. Nothing to do with sound quality.

7 hours ago, DavidR said:

Basically I do not approve of the dinky (very thin) leads. But, yes, they do tend to measure well. Nothing to do with sound quality.

See attached photo, David. The leads of both brands are identical, and the MDL capacitor is larger and heavier. In this case you are looking at 50uf caps with .032" leads. What is the basis of your "disapproval"?🙄

Roy

PE vs MDL caps.jpg

8 hours ago, DavidR said:

What? Did I approve of the P.E. caps some where.

I believe the leads are measured in millimeters.

Thin and very short all the way up to 1000uF.

"Parts Express has NPEs made by Solen.   https://www.parts-express.com/electronic-parts/capacitors/non-polarized-electrolytic-capacitors

I'm not a big fan of MDL but they work."

Based on your statement above, the implication was MDL was somehow inferior to the rest of the caps mentioned in your post.

I just measured the leads of some 1% Dayton film caps and found them to be .2 mm thicker (1mm vs .8mm) and about 1/4" longer than the PE and MDL npe's 1.5" leads. What would you do (or need) with the difference? If someone can't work with those slightly smaller leads perhaps they need to reconsider their installation technique. Whatever the case may be, those leads are more than long and thick enough for most any application. It is still not clear what your actual "disapproval" is based on. I'm just concerned that this type of conversation only serves to confuse inexperienced readers of the forum with inconsequential "issues".

I would also be interested in where you acquired the information that PE npe caps are made by Solen. You also mentioned a manufacturer for MDL awhile back as well, but I don't recall which one (I think, you said Bennic?).

Roy

1 hour ago, RoyC said:

Based on your statement above, the implication was MDL was somehow inferior to the rest of the caps mentioned in your post.

No, YOU inferred that. I would prefer to use ECaps or Bennic for the large values. Its a preference and may not be based off of anything you might consider worthy. I listed Parts Express as another source for npe caps. You can get MDL thru Madisound.

A Canadian audio amigo has been to the Solen factory and saw them making Dayton. So he says.

I never mentioned MDL being made by another company. Others have said Bennic made Dayton and its possible I even restated that not knowing what I later learned.

Yes, I do have a problem with working with the short, thin leads. I have a hereditary disease in my hands and am facing my 4th surgery; third on my left hand. I do see this as a reason. I'm tired of you harassing me and other members because of petty differences of opinion. You even did it to Carl. If you don't like what I say you can block me. Many times I have praised you for taking the time to 'coach' me in my first surround replacement; but I get this as a response. Others have said they too are tired of this harassment, too. Seems every audio site has at least one.

4 hours ago, DavidR said:

No, YOU inferred that. I would prefer to use ECaps or Bennic for the large values. Its a preference and may not be based off of anything you might consider worthy. I listed Parts Express as another source for npe caps. You can get MDL thru Madisound.

A Canadian audio amigo has been to the Solen factory and saw them making Dayton. So he says.

I never mentioned MDL being made by another company. Others have said Bennic made Dayton and its possible I even restated that not knowing what I later learned.

Yes, I do have a problem with working with the short, thin leads. I have a hereditary disease in my hands and am facing my 4th surgery; third on my left hand. I do see this as a reason. I'm tired of you harassing me and other members because of petty differences of opinion. You even did it to Carl. If you don't like what I say you can block me. Many times I have praised you for taking the time to 'coach' me in my first surround replacement; but I get this as a response. Others have said they too are tired of this harassment, too. Seems every audio site has at least one.

Careful, or we'll be heading to the kitchen :).  Since we've arrived here, it seems you have dubbed yourself a capacitor expert with your apparently calibrated ears. Accordingly, you are actually the only person I have had a problem with in recent years. We've made our points.

Roy

On 4/1/2023 at 6:22 PM, RoyC said:

Careful, or we'll be heading to the kitchen :).  Since we've arrived here, it seems you have dubbed yourself a capacitor expert with your apparently calibrated ears. Accordingly, you are actually the only person I have had a problem with in recent years. We've made our points.

You dubbed me a capacitor expert. I give my opinion which you don't like. There are differences in capacitors and reasons for it. I worked in an industry that coated paper, plastic and other substrates, we even vacuum deposited aluminum on paper.  As an engineer I know what makes a good product or an average one. The differences are because of material quality, equipment that process the materials used and wind the caps and even attachment techniques. If you like Dayton then use them. I don't and know the reasons why I hear white noise in them.

YOU are a bully!

I am now going to block you so I don't have to be attacked by you as YOU are always the aggressor.

OH L@@K ! What's that he said?

image.thumb.png.b66240875e0fde21ef77990c1af30485.png

Oh, look: another false accusation from RoyC about what he says I said. It was not me who said PE was made by MDL. What else will I find.

image.thumb.png.3234d0390caea9a4767ef84e702f7ca0.png

You have always been the aggressor and unsubstantiated IMO. You just can't stand an opinion that differs from yours. You should treat your friends better. Carl and I had a longtime offline chat going with a few other members. Seems he had many agreements with my opinions.

image.thumb.png.ca44378b1e12c9a25927f5faa33b8047.png

Gee Roy, another false accusation from you. I've been thru every post I have made and nowhere did I ever say a more expensive cap must sound better. I have said that a cap made with quality materials and quality equipment will yield a better capacitor. I stand behind that statement with my many years of engineering in an industry that made products similar to those in capacitors.

image.thumb.png.e93c9a4ba98b20b61e87265f9427a3c6.png

4 hours ago, DavidR said:

I am now going to block you

Not sure how you do that, but it is probably not a bad idea.

Attempting to balance subjective comments/recommendations is not meant to be aggression. It often seems like you assume something must "sound" better if it is expensive. Based on you comments above, perhaps you assume that something simply must "sound" better if you are impressed with its construction. Either way, that's usually when I will show up.

Btw, your comments about me are as unsubstantiated as your forum comments. For example, Carl Richards and I were friends (see attached photo of us), and I was handling much of his work in his last couple of years here. I also can't remember the last time I posted in another audio forum. It seems you have resorted primarily to personal attacks and accusations, David.

I'm feeling Gene's finger getting ever closer to the Kitchen button. 🙃

Roy

PS In case anyone is interested at this point. The leads of Mundorf electrolytic capacitors appear to be the same length and thickness as those of Parts Express and MDL (.8mm x 44mm). I can't seem to let that one go... :)

Carl & Roy.JPG