AR3a external Tweeters

Guest ghstudio

Guest ghstudio

When I bought my AR3a's in the early 60's, I recall that someone made an external tweeter only speaker with three tweeters..one pointing towards the middle and the other two about 45 degrees off center. Since high frequencies fall off as you move to the side of the AR3a (and similarly configured speakers), I almost bought these add-ons, but I didn't. They did sound good...they had a case very much like the AR3a's and sat on top.

I have never seen a reference to these small speakers. They were available at stereo stores...not a radio shack special. Does anyone else recall them being available and/or have a pointer.

Guest daveshel

I believe they were from Jantzen. They were sometimes used with the AR-1 but I don't think I have heard of them being used with the AR-3.

I wonder if they were wired in parallel or series. I had always thought this sort of combination always needed to be in parallel, but some discussion on another forum suggested a series connection and an adjustment of the physical placement of the front of the speakers relative to one another to compensate for any phase shift.

Guest linedrive

There were a number of tweeters that could be added to the AR-1, or AR-3. JansZen electrostatics were popular in the '50s & 'early '60s with the AR-1. As far as dynamic drivers went, Microstatic had by far the most popular add-on, with a number of tweeters mounted in an array - this was supposed to enhance the high-end capability of the AR-3, or AR-3a. This could be what you're thinking of.

There is an extensive discussion about the Microstatic tweeter array on the "Other" section of the Forum:

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...g_id=217&page=2

And not to forget, AR also had their AR-3 (not 3a) tweeter elements in external walnut mini-cabinets available in the early '60's--the 3T (AR-3 mid and high) and 3ST (tweeter only).

Steve F.

>There is an extensive discussion about the Microstatic

>tweeter array on the "Other" section of the Forum:

>

>http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/dc/dcbo...g_id=217&page=2

>

>And not to forget, AR also had their AR-3 (not 3a) tweeter

>elements in external walnut mini-cabinets available in the

>early '60's--the 3T (AR-3 mid and high) and 3ST (tweeter

>only).

>

>Steve F.

Hi there;

The 4 panel Janszen 1-30 electrostatic speaker array was available in 8 and 16 ohm and was wired in parallel with AR-1, 3, or 3A.

It was available in walnut veneer or painted black.

The Microstatic Tweeter Array model MS-1, was a baby sized Janszen 1-30, about the size of a chocolate box, which was 16 ohms and wired in parallel as well.

I have written previously of my experience with loaners of a pair of both, for a weekend, many moons ago.

I do not have much success locating the best demo record for that system and my AR-3A's, but, "Elizabeth Seranade", is the closest to the correct spelling, I can remember.

My Big Bros says it must have been James Last, I have that copy but it is not the version that I do remember.

It had lots of bells and a womans choir, wow.

Looking back, I cannot say with any certainty, that I could have lived long term with the Janzsen's brighter, clearer, midrange over the longhaul.

This was a dream system of mine for decades.

>Hi Kent;

>

>The Microstatics are exactly the same shape as the Janszen's

>in the middle of the photo, but only about 4" high,

>10" wide and 6" deep.

>

>The Microstatics looked to be an AR add-on from the front

>rather than from another manufacturer.

Hi All. I'm listening to some MicroStatics as we speak. Fine sounding little ad-on's. I've had them since 1977 when the constant replacing of AR-3a tweets became too unbearable.

frankmarsi@verizon.net

Archived