Removal of AR-4x Woofer Cloth Surround

Rich W

Hello fellow AR enthusiasts.  Been absent from CSP for quite a while - it's good to be back!

I recently acquired a pair of AR-4x speakers at a yard sale.  Unfortunately, the cloth surrounds were compromised by the overzealous application of what appears to be a black liquid electrical sealant which has made them extremely stiff.  I'd like to replace the cloth surrounds with foam versions.  Is there a particular solvent that will work well to remove the old surrounds without causing irreparable damage to the woofer cone?

Thanks!

Rich W

Hey Rich

Welcome back.

Other members may have good advice on how to tackle those woofers. If they were mine I think I'd send them to Bill LeGall http://www.millersound.net/contact-bill-legall-millersound.html

Kent

58 minutes ago, JKent said:

Hey Rich

Welcome back.

Kent

Kent, you are a great, great man, Always available in advice ( you have a great experience) and always attentive ti the needs of US fans, a big hug,

Giorgio

10 hours ago, JKent said:

Hey Rich

Welcome back.

Other members may have good advice on how to tackle those woofers. If they were mine I think I'd send them to Bill LeGall http://www.millersound.net/contact-bill-legall-millersound.html

Kent

Thanks Kent.  It does seem to be much more of a job (with much less margin of error) than scraping some rotted foam from a cone.

Wow, I must have really been gone for a long time.  I've been demoted back to "newbie" rank! I think I joined CSP more than 15 years ago!

Rich W

11 hours ago, JKent said:

Hey Rich

Welcome back.

Kent

I can vouch for Millersound.

9 drivers currently in my surround system are originals rebuilt by Millersound and totally including spiders.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the solution was fairly simple.  I failed to notice that the cloth surround on AR-4x woofers are  attached to the back of the cone. So I just used a sharp x-acto blade to cut away the surround along the circumference of the cone (no scraping).  The remnants of where the surround was attached are so miniscule as to not add significantly to the cone mass, so I'll just leave it in place.  Of course, the added benefit is that the top of the cone has an untouched surface to attach a set of Boston filled filleted foam surrounds.  I'll be taking measurements on the woofer once it's refoamed (or I should say foamed for the first time).  Does anyone know the published fs of this woofer?