KLH Six quick question

Stan

Hi Stan

Welcome to CSP!

Not sure I understand your question. The Six crossover has two 2uF caps and one 8uF. The schematic I looked at says the 8uF is oil, in which case you could probably keep it but IIRC the pair I worked on had a paper cap for the 8uF. SO, if the 8 is paper, replace it. If it's an oil-filled can you may be better off leaving it. I think the PIO caps were only in the Sixes with epoxied-in drivers.

The resistors are two 3ohm and one 7.5ohm. Unless they show physical damage they don't need to be replaced.

Kent

Here's a link to the restoration I did:

and here's a more recent restoration with fancier caps and new resistors by LorneG

and a nice job by Brad1234

My local electronics shop has a pair in need of restoration for sale on consignment. A little pricey at $150 but if that's negotiable I'm tempted.....

Thanks, Kent.  The tweeters on my speakers didn't work, but were to easy to repair by replacing the capacitors. I was disappointed with the sound at first given all the good things I read about the Sixes, but they are growing on me.  I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the benefits of replacing the other capacitors if the speakers are working.  

Coincidentally, I paid $150 for these at a local record shop. They have the unfinished cabinets.  I picked them up because I wanted to have some older speakers to match with my tube amps (Fisher 400 & Sansui 1000a).  

I really appreciate your quick feedback! I've seen those threads before but will read them more thoroughly.

38 minutes ago, Stan said:

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about the benefits of replacing the other capacitors if the speakers are working.  

So, assuming you have the non-epoxied drivers, definitely yes--replace the 8uF. They have probably drifted to the point that they are no longer within spec.

Also do the 3-finger woofer test to see if you need some of Roy's goo. My guess is you do.

I was not aware of unfinished (plywood?) Sixes. Please post photos so we can take a look. Resize to about 100KB or so for best results.