AR 3a woofer

Guest zeibens

Guest zeibens

Hello AR fans:

I have an AR 3a woofer, original (which means the surround has rotted away) that is looking for a new home. The last time I tried it the woofer worked so I think all it needs is a new surround.

I have since purchased new woofers from Layne and I am basically looking to give this woofer away for the price of shipping rather than tossing it in the dump. Anyone out there want the woofer?

David

>Hello AR fans:

>I have an AR 3a woofer, original (which means the surround has

>rotted away) that is looking for a new home. The last time I

>tried it the woofer worked so I think all it needs is a new

>surround.

>I have since purchased new woofers from Layne and I am

>basically looking to give this woofer away for the price of

>shipping rather than tossing it in the dump. Anyone out there

>want the woofer?

>

>David

Hello David. Here I am! The fellow who will always cherish and even actually name the woofer after you with a embossed name plate, below the foam surround.

I am a AR 12inch woofer 'devotee' and I am in dire need of 2 woofers, but I'll take one and hope for another. I just saw your post, I must have stupidly passed it by before.

Much as a Miss America contestant I will now give my reasons for needing this woofer.This is all original material and my eyes are welling up with tears, so please, bear with me, thank you.

Dear David, members of the AR community,devoted members of Classicspeakerpages and all you poor slobs out there who worship these speakers like they were gold or some sexy young hot chick who says she's addicted to you and will never leave you, ever.

If I was nominated to have your woofer I would spread the word more profusely about AR woofers than I have done in the last 39 years. I will participate in local parades and sponsored events spreading the word about the greatness of vintage AR speakers.

If chosen to be the winner of your woofer, I will lovingly caress and message the stamped steel basket as I tenderly remove the old adhesive and foam from the frame. I promise to adhere the new foam surround so carefully with-out cutting out the original dust cap. I will prove to the observing public that I can, and will succeed at bouncing the cone enough times so I am certain the voice coil has settled in its rightful place with-out rubbing.

If chosen to accept this used AR3a woofer for free I will always think of its history and of how many ears have enjoyed its sound before I acquired it. From this point on I will fuse this woofer and hope I never get too crazy while listening at high volumes so as not to 'blow' it.

If given this opportunity I will wear the speaker basket like a grown on my head and walk through the streets of New York City showing the world that I believe in and will always uphold the AR woofer history of greatness and truth, power and the American way!

And to all you little people, I want to thank you all for throwing out your old speakers and giving me a chance to pick them up out of your garbage after night fall.

Sincerely, Frank Marsi

Reminds me not of Miss America but of that 1950s weekday afternoon who's got the biggest sob story TV show "Queen For a Day." You had me take out my handkerchief crying like a baby. I was tempted to take out my violin and play a sad song for you but I don't own a violin and can't play anyway so I put on a recording of Barber's Adagio For Strings and thought about the day President Kennedy died. I think you've hit 100 on the sob meter. Please ziebens say you'll send it to this poor underpriveleged wretch before I burst out in another uncontrollable fit of tears.

"All-right you can all go back to your homes now folks, nothing to see here folks, move along now, he'll be alright, move along, please give some room to breath".These were the words heard as an apparent suicide attempt was thwarted here in New York today.

NEWS FLASH: A despondent member of a little known and possibily covert organization called the "Brothers Of AR" has been found in the gutter laying face down in the muck and mire of some of the most filthest of NY street puddles. When police arrived and tried to revive him, he let out with an ugly and tearful cry, and as we could barely understand his words through his tears; it was something that sounded like he was going to one day be the host of some parade wearing a novel and completely unique head dress symbolizing his dedication and worship of the yet to be explained cult of uncertain origins called "classicspeakerpages". As authorities removed his limp,somewhat lifeless body from the curb he mumbled something about living in the past and "enjoying music like no one could ever do" and that all his "dreams of completing some sort of old antiquated stereo system have fallen into pieces" Authorities have spectulated that perhaps this horrible situation may have been brought about by a vain attempt at taking his own life as the police swat team to respond first found him with a strange but some what flexible looking piece of round 2 mil thick foam rubber circle around his neck with some of it lodged in his nose and mouth. Although this obvious victim of lifes' hardships had been uttering repeatedly about a flying 12 pound magnet which seemingly came out of nowhere and struck him in the head. His legs were also found bound with what was described by police as 12 gauge, double conductor, oxygen free copper wire, terminated with fake, 'fools-gold' spaded ends.

Local police officials have taken the poor man to a local hospital for treatment and later to headquarters for questioning.

It is requested that if anyone near or passing the scene may have seen any 'flying 12 pound magnets' at the location, please report to police. Other passer-bys added that the man in custody was also seen a couple of days prior, struggling with 2 large apparently walnut veneered wooden boxes with large holes in them in a Kmart shopping cart containing what authorities may perceive as the reason he may have lost his sensibilities.Police ask that if any good samaritans would like to donate any money to please drop it in the 2 large, extra heavy, walnut veneered boxes with 3 different sized holes, which maybe claimed as a tax deduction.

'All-BS-News Services'

Loved it. Loved it. Frank you are toooo much.

Thank you. lol lol lol

I can see that you really do need someone, to help you hold your camera, and adjust your focal length.

I would normally say, you are in the wrong business, but, every healthy man on this site would probably be willing to suffer a long agonizing day being your assistant.

I think you need a pacifier now, actually 2 - AR 12" woofers might be just the trick, to bring you back to good health again.

Would I be close, Frank? lol lol lol

What a nice change from? What was I going to say? Oh yeh, hifi.

>Loved it. Loved it. Frank you are toooo much.

>

>Thank you. lol lol lol

>

>I can see that you really do need someone, to help you hold

>your camera, and adjust your focal length.

>

>I would normally say, you are in the wrong business, but,

>every healthy man on this site would probably be willing to

>suffer a long agonizing day being your assistant.

>

>I think you need a pacifier now, actually 2 - AR 12"

>woofers might be just the trick, to bring you back to good

>health again.

>

>Would I be close, Frank? lol lol lol

>

>What a nice change from? What was I going to say? Oh yeh,

>hifi.

“NEWS FLASH !”

It has been reported later this evening that a cousin or close family member who refused to give his name, a relation to the man found earlier today with a circle of foam rubber and clutching close to his chest a 12lb. magnet structure of undetermined origin lying face down in the filthy crud laden streets of New York City, mid-town, east-side, 34th. Street, Murray-Hill section. The man who spoke at this impromptu news cast refused to be identified, but because he chose to speak in front of a local post office, a poster posted inside the post office bore a striking resemblance to the man who spoke about the sad victim of today’s hideous vintage speaker tragedy. Although his name wasn’t given, on-lookers plainly saw the poster which read: WANTED: Big Bad Cousin, Joey Mattarazza, or translated from its root language, Giuseppe Mattress, who is known as a big king-pin in a local same day, phone-in delivery mattress installing business. Below are excerpted and censured quotes from his comments.

“a… yeah dis trouble we have in the family with Frankie ain’t right, it ain’t good ee-da! Ya, see Frankie has been a little, how do you say?, disgruntled about tings, he tinks he’s some sort of rebuilder of tings from the past, old tings, tings I don’t understand any more, in some bizarre cult forum on-line, hey, and guess what, its all about his stupid damn speakers. Ya see he’s been listening to these same damn speakers for over 34 years now, what da hell is wrong wit him? And ya know what? He still tinks they sound good, what da hell is dat about?

a……..This poor kid ain’t well, he needs tings, some kind’a help even.

Da ‘ way I saw him in the street today was awful and real strange too. Wit-dis foam rubber ring ting coming out of his nose and mouth and ears, it was scary, I could see he was trying to strangle himself with it almost. And a’ na da ting, dis sh_t about him wearing a crown of stamped steel hat and basket waving and stuff, dat ain’t true ee-da. He’s lucky to have all the stuff he’s got, yeah sure its all broken down and old sh_t, but its stuff!

Do ya know that back in the 70’s his stereo was the loudest and most accurate in the hood? Why, if I was him, I’d be happy to have a cool stereo, and sh_t. Yeah dats right,, da local teeners durin’ da summer used to dance a block away in da street to his Dark-Side album playing wit his Phase going strong and loud as all hell.

Just one more ting. If I find out who dat guy was who didn’t give my cousin what he wanted, why, I’ll brain him and put him on ice. a…….yeah ice just like my cousin Frankie was lying in today in the fr__k’in gutter.

One more ting,…….hey look! a…. I forgot what I was gonna say, oh yeah get lost now punk face moron!

Dat’s all I gotta say, O.K.?

“NEWS FLASH !”

Police have reported that the man who earlier today was apparently attacked by what was believed earlier to be a vintage speaker magnetic structure made of cold rolled stamped steel at best was actually found to have swallowed a bizarre looking fist sized lump of what authorities explain to be a ball of used vintage Acoustic Research speaker sealing caulk manufactured over a long time of playing with speakers.

Officials further explained that it wasn’t the actual ball of almost 40 year old of ‘who the hell needs it putty’, but unusually large amounts of toe and finger nail jam and cheese that was used in the process to manufacture the ball of elephant dung appearing putty. It seems that the toe jam had fermented over the last forty years and caused the alleged attack victim to lose rational abilities of time and space relativity, and of course, event planning for AARP members on holiday. Doctors believe the strong self-inflicted blows to his temples by a 12 to 15 lb. magnet structure believed to come out of a piece of antique listening device also affected his behavior. Strangely enough though Doctors still insist that the 12 gauge, multi-stranded copper cabling wrapped around his ankles had actually helped the attack victim much like a 1970’s copper bracelet would have helped anyone.

Frank Marsi *your street life reporter at large.

>Joey Mattarazza, or translated from its root language, Giuseppe Mattress<

Reminded me of Terry Gilliam's Rastafarian/Jewish liver donor from "The Meaning of Life" for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a good laugh over this one Frank!

>>Hello AR fans:

>>I have an AR 3a woofer, original (which means the surround

>has

>>rotted away) that is looking for a new home. The last time

>I

>>tried it the woofer worked so I think all it needs is a

>new

>>surround.

>>I have since purchased new woofers from Layne and I am

>>basically looking to give this woofer away for the price

>of

>>shipping rather than tossing it in the dump. Anyone out

>there

>>want the woofer?

>>

>>David

>

>

>Hello David. Here I am! The fellow who will always cherish and

>even actually name the woofer after you with a embossed name

>plate, below the foam surround.

>I am a AR 12inch woofer 'devotee' and I am in dire need of 2

>woofers, but I'll take one and hope for another. I just saw

>your post, I must have stupidly passed it by before.

>

>Much as a Miss America contestant I will now give my reasons

>for needing this woofer.This is all original material and my

>eyes are welling up with tears, so please, bear with me, thank

>you.

>

>Dear David, members of the AR community,devoted members of

>Classicspeakerpages and all you poor slobs out there who

>worship these speakers like they were gold or some sexy young

>hot chick who says she's addicted to you and will never leave

>you, ever.

>

>If I was nominated to have your woofer I would spread the word

>more profusely about AR woofers than I have done in the last

>39 years. I will participate in local parades and sponsored

>events spreading the word about the greatness of vintage AR

>speakers.

>If chosen to be the winner of your woofer, I will lovingly

>caress and message the stamped steel basket as I tenderly

>remove the old adhesive and foam from the frame. I promise to

>adhere the new foam surround so carefully with-out cutting out

>the original dust cap. I will prove to the observing public

>that I can, and will succeed at bouncing the cone enough times

>so I am certain the voice coil has settled in its rightful

>place with-out rubbing.

>If chosen to accept this used AR3a woofer for free I will

>always think of its history and of how many ears have enjoyed

>its sound before I acquired it. From this point on I will fuse

>this woofer and hope I never get too crazy while listening at

>high volumes so as not to 'blow' it.

>If given this opportunity I will wear the speaker basket like

>a grown on my head and walk through the streets of New York

>City showing the world that I believe in and will always

>uphold the AR woofer history of greatness and truth, power and

>the American way!

>And to all you little people, I want to thank you all for

>throwing out your old speakers and giving me a chance to pick

>them up out of your garbage after night fall.

>Sincerely, Frank Marsi

>

>Hi, Frank

>

>Here is your chance to nail down a pair ( eBay Item number:

>5871160274 ). Don't let them slip by this time. If you need

>the right foam surrounds for these woofers, just email me at

>mluong303@aol.com.

>

>Good Luck,

>Minh Luong

Dear Minh, thanks for your consideration and thoughtfullness. I will do my best to attain these beautiful looking and very original appearing woofers, they're actually very beautiful to me as I can tell by their appearences that they are the actual vintage that I'm looking for and so desperately need. I truly feel these are some of the best sounding versions of the classic AR 12" woofer,and we all know their value. It's people like like you who make this site so worth while and important to people like myself and others like me who treasure and value the AR philosophy.

Thank you very much and I hope I can some day return the favor!

frankmarsi@verizon.net

Hi, Frank

Glad to help when I can. Since the first time I mention to you I would help you out to get the tweeters installed but never got a chance to meet with you due to your busy working schedule and my running around for bread and butter! I do realized how special your AR-LST speakers meant to you. So I just hope you will get the right woofers you are searching for to get your AR-LST sound the way you are expecting them to sound like.

Good Luck on nailing them down,

Minh Luong

>Dear Peter B. I want to thank you for laughing at my obsure

>moments and out-bursts of humor. Your acknowledgement of my

>efforts of trying to happily part-take being on this site are

>very well received by me and my bizarre out-puring of

>insanity.

>Much appreciated, Frank Marsi.

Dear CSP members, I just read for about an hour or more a thread on this site about the differences of the AR 12" woofer through out its history that I never read before, I had to stop reading as it was overwhelming. I am almost completely drained to read the vast amount of knowledge and expertise from such site notables as Pete B., Tom Tyson, Vern and countless others(respects to all) that I feel like a child commenting about world affairs in the UN General Assembly. I can't believe the amount of knowledge and experience that some of this site members have. I had to stop as I was being drained and getting a headache!

Although I'm beyond impressed, I also feel be-littled by such a range of helpful and interesting people on this site. I also feel if nothing else, maybe I'll just try to be the court jester here and painfully try to slightly amuse some people here if nothing else, if that at all be possible. Or probably a better suggestion would be to just sit back quitely and learn from people who know so much more than I do. I'll listen to my system and stay away from the site as being liable of making a complete ass of myself sounds like a better idea.

I want thank all of the wonderful contributors for sharing your vast individual experiences and 'know-how'. Reading this page has made me feel that I am very grateful and lucky to have found this site in the first place less than 2 years ago. I feel secure in knowing that I have the privilege of being in such powerful company.

May I extend my deepest thanks and personal happiness of reading all of your opinions.

Respectfully and thankfully, frankmarsi@verizon.net

I can relate to this in several ways, working on old things we tend to collect spare parts and when finally giving them away we want to find them a good home. Your humor was right on point with you having a good home for this woofer, enjoyed it very much!

Again, thank you and take care,

Pete B.

>Dear Peter B. I want to thank you for laughing at my obsure

>moments and out-bursts of humor. Your acknowledgement of my

>efforts of trying to happily part-take being on this site are

>very well received by me and my bizarre out-puring of

>insanity.

>Much appreciated, Frank Marsi.

Archived