AR 9 Speaker Equivalent ?

Rat44

Bravo, but!  Since I first joined this forum in 2004, I’ve always endorsed high-power. In fact I've been pushing high-power since my first purchase of a Phase Linear PL-400 in 1974. It made me understand differences I didn't know existed and led me to new heights of musical enjoyment. Across the years I went on to buy 5 more PL-400's and three rebuilt PL-700 Series II.

A couple of years ago there was a new person on this forum who insisted 28WPC was enough for his AR-3a’s. When I attempted to allow him to understand he was uninformed, I was admonished by others and was negatively flooded with other inept opinions completely contrary to mine. That novice guy is still pushing low wattage on other sites to this day. Forgive them for they not know their elbow from their belly-button.

Thankfully, some do realize that high power is a crucial necessity for use with watt hungry speakers as I do. These folks go on to listen to music at realistic levels and surely don't sit back wondering if their system is sounding the best it could.

However sad, on the other side of the tracks some are content with boring sound reproduction that doesn’t approach life-like levels. So, good luck in your belief in the benefits of high power even though it probably won’t sway the non-believers with their lackluster sounding playback as they just don't get-it.

See what I listen to with room filling realistic levels of bass response that can tickle the little hairs on your toes and with you-are-there mids and highs that approach a real  live performance:

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/topic/10649-do-ar-speakers-really-sound-that-good-more-new-video/

FM

• 5 months later...

Just an update.

Tried many things and still no workable solution.

Tried finding some LS and LSI's but no luck.

And yes,I do have a Pioneer SX 1250 that has been restored so I have adequate power to run them.

There was bass just sounded like Ka Ka.

Currently using a pair of Klipsch KG 3.5's for the moment.

Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

Just curious. Have you checked if the foam surrounds of the woofers are still intact? AR 9 also has a LC network for the woofers to boosts the low bass. The inductor should be OK but the capacitor can have problem? 

The speakers are fine.

Everything works as its supposed to.

It will rattle the walls even with the little 165 watt Pioneer pushing them.

It puts out lots of bass.

Just doesn't sound right.