Crossover upgrade. New components running in. How long?

Kuja

Hello everybody,

I just have finished a restoration of my new (actually 23 years old :-)) AR98LS speakers.

This is my first project of this kind...

I replaced all old capacitors in the xover with polypropylene (ICEL, made in Italy, PHC type).

I also replaced the original wiring with Van den Hul SCS 12 cables (http://www.vandenhul.com/cable/scs-12.htm).

For the tweeters I used double runs of teflon insulated pure silver wire.

All rotten surrounds were replaced too.

Restoration details are here:

http://www.kujucev.com/ar98ls/ar98.htm

What would be the expected runnining-in time?

How long I must wait before I can fully enjoy the sound of my freshly renovated speakers?

How will the sound change over time?

Thanks in advance,

Aleksandar

Aleksandar,

>>I just have finished a restoration of my new (actually 23 years old ) AR98LS speakers.

This is my first project of this kind...<<

Congrats! Excellent job on your restoration. The cork/rubber veneer on the front baffle is an interesting look. I'm wondering if that material will have a similar effect to felt at absorbing acoustic diffraction.

>>I replaced all old capacitors in the xover with polypropylene (ICEL, made in Italy, PHC type).<<

I haven't used ICEL capacitors. My answer below is based on my experience with Solen and North Creek Zen polypropylene caps.

>>What would be the expected runnining-in time?<<

You need to allow at least 24 hours of "run-in" time on the capacitors. This can be done by listening to music or by sending a test signal (pink noise) to the speakers for a 24 hour period. If you are doing the "run-in" by listening to music over several sessions, the longer each "run-in" session, the better.

>>How long I must wait before I can fully enjoy the sound of my freshly renovated speakers?<<

I usually test my renovations by changing one speaker only and conducting listening tests between the original and renovated speaker over an extended period of time (at least one month). Another member and I recently discussed our post-renovation experiences and both of us agreed that after about a month of normal, daily listening (about 50 hours) the capacitors have really stabilized and the sound is just incredible.

>>How will the sound change over time?<<

I will describe the sound change as "warmer," meaning not as "harsh" as the old/original electrolytic caps. Also, "cleaner," meaning you will hear the different instruments better and you will hear each note and the "space" between the notes much better. The instruments will sound more correct -- accurate.

Hope this helps.

Rich

Archived