AR-2xa?

RoyC

1 hour ago, Greg said:

I believe these would be pot controls correct? These are on my AR-2xa European model mentioned here earlier on Sept 12, 2018. Bringing these in today at local speaker shop that specializes in AR speakers (Midwest Speaker Repair)

AR2xa back.jpg

Yes, those are a later version with metal shafts instead of plastic. It would be interesting to see the crossover.

Roy

1 hour ago, Greg said:

Roy, here is the crossover, thoughts?

Craig,

It appears to be a conventional AR-2ax crossover. Are there any components attached to the woofer? If you reach up to the midrange driver magnet can you feel anything other than the magnet? Does the woofer have a square, modern style magnet?

In the mid 70's AR added 3 ohms to the original 2ax midrange, and then simply changed the mid's voice coil to 9 ohms (dcr) from the original 6 ohms. Some later woofers also have various components (resistor/caps) soldered to the terminals. These changes were made when the alnico magnet woofer was replaced with the ferrite magnet woofer. There was no AR-2"xa" marketed in the US , but I wonder if this resulted in the European AR-2xa. The US version of the AR-2ax underwent alterations with no name change.

Roy

Hi Roy, I just dropped off speakers to get an estimate for refurbishing foam, L-Pads, etc. Probably will be between $300 and $450 but I'll wait and see.

I didn't have the chance to see if there were any other components next to the tweet and mid but I do remeber the woof having a square magnet with only that red and blue wire running off it down to the crossover.

2 hours ago, Greg said:

Hi Roy, I just dropped off speakers to get an estimate for refurbishing foam, L-Pads, etc. Probably will be between $300 and $450 but I'll wait and see.

I didn't have the chance to see if there were any other components next to the tweet and mid but I do remeber the woof having a square magnet with only that red and blue wire running off it down to the crossover.

Thanks Greg,

At this point I'm fairly certain the Euro AR-2xa is the same as the last version of the US 2ax.

Roy