Replacement tweeter for the TSW 510. - Update!

sudhir

Hello all,  

Dads TSW 510s has a blown tweeter.  No sound and shows no continuity. Rest of the speakers are all fine. The speakers haven't been pushed or driven at loud volumes. I am guessing it is an age related issue. Are these repairable? I see that all TSW's from the 110 to the 910 use the same part # 1210090-0B. Is there a good substitute for this? The focus plate has three screws from the front holding the tweeters as opposed to the later versions where the tweeter was screwed in from the rear. If anyone has spare, id be happy to buy and retain the original-nes! 

@DavidR Thank you for the headsup! However the tweeter seems to be slightly different. The terminal cutout on my speaker cabinet is at a 7 o clock position while this one seems to be at the bottom. My tweeter has a different mount plate design with screws holding them from the front.This one does not. Probably I can use the diaphragm plate from the ebay one and assemble it in my housing. At 20$ I think I will risk it!

The 210 tweeter, that David referenced, is different that my 410s.  And we had 110s and 210s at work, and they had tweeters that matched my 410s as well.  So, it would appear that AR developed another TSW tweeter, for their entry level models.  As such, I'd continue to search for 410, 510, 610 and 710 tweeters, to find a correct match.

Also, the Holographic tweeter is a cloth dome, and not a TSW metal dome.  It uses a metal coating vapor deposited over the dome, to give it the sheen look.  But, I doubt it would be compatible with a 510.  Be patient, and the correct tweeter will show up on eBay.

Keep in mind there was three versions of the TSW series speakers.

The Original (e.g. TSW610)

The dash A (e.g. TSW610-A)

The dash B (e.g. TSW610-B)

I have no idea what the differences might be.

I bought a pair of TSW610 for my son and restored them. He likes them.

I had a feeling the tweeter was not exactly the same.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-TSW-710-TWEETER-AND-CROSSOVER-TWEETER-ALSO-FOR-OTHER-TSW-MODELS/163520668898?hash=item26129764e2:g:0lUAAOSwiIxZ94rn

The later ones which say "Nitrogen fired" have a golden sheen to them. Wonder if the difference is only cosmetic and durability.

Have messaged the seller to see if he can help me out with two of these or one plain aluminium tweeter. Will wait for his reply.

Meanwhile,

https://www.parts-express.com/acoustic-research-1210127-1-3-4-mylar-dome-tweeter--299-2038

Down in the Q&A a user had adapted them to his 510's. Worth a try?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Sudhir,

I've recently acquired a pair of TSW 610's that I thought only required new surrounds. But I was negligent and didn't check the tweeters; one of the domes is crumpled in (but I think they are still functional otherwise).

I don't mean to sound presumptuous, but I was wondering, in theory, if it would be possible to take the dome off yours and apply it to mine. Does anyone know if this is possible?

David

AR TSW tweeter dome damage 1.jpg

AR TSW tweeter dome damage 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

@VinylChef Apologies, wasn't checking the form for a couple of months! Unfortunately the coil which goes around the dome seems to have gone bust (no continuity).

But the tweeter is very easy to disassemble and probably a good time to refresh the ferrofluid in there?

Once disassembled it is very easy to take a small curved surface and push it from behind.

So I decided to take the plunge and buy the Acoustic Research 1210127-1 3/4" Mylar Dome Tweeter from parts express as the mounting seems to be similar. They have finally arrived in India and although I haven't heard them yet , my father says they sound absolutely the same and the harshness is completely gone. He tested with one original and one of these mylar on each speaker in mono. They fit in perfectly with zero modification required.

https://www.parts-express.com/AR-1210127-1-3-4-Mylar-Dome-Tweeter-299-2038

There are two more pieces left so if you hurry you can get them! and at 50$ you can't go wrong.

There is another version but this seems to shielded. 

https://www.parts-express.com/Acoustic-Research-1210142-OA-3-4-Fabric-Dome-Tweeter-299-2034

Regards,

Sudhir

PHOTO-2020-12-15-11-18-10.jpg

PHOTO-2020-12-15-11-18-19.jpg

• sudhir changed the title to Replacement tweeter for the TSW 510. - Update!

Hi Sudhir,

Thanks for your reply.

I appreciate your recommendation of the Mylar Dome Tweeter replacements, but I'd rather try and stick to original parts.

I am considering trying to salvage a good dome to put into my working tweeter. Do you need your dome anymore if you are moving to new tweeters? If not, maybe we can work something out?

On 2/22/2021 at 10:15 PM, sudhir said:

But the tweeter is very easy to disassemble and probably a good time to refresh the ferrofluid in there?

I did not even realise that these tweeters had ferrofluid! Can I assume that the fluid has to be put into the place where I have put a black arrow in the attached picture? Do you think that this product would be sufficient for two of these particular tweeters:

https://www.parts-express.com/Ferrofluid-650uL-General-Purpose-for-2-Diameter-V.C.-340-544

Thanks for your help!

David

Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 5.00.14 pm.png

9 hours ago, Stimpy said:

Three auctions for TSW tweeters on eBay now.  Two auctions for single 410 tweeters, and an auction for a pair of 510 tweeters.

Thanks Stimpy for taking the time to research those options. I have actually already bought a tweeter from someone in the US to replace my one with the crumpled dome. So I've a complete set now and my speakers are up and running (with new caps, surrounds and posts etc too). The reason I was suggesting the OP could provide a dome for my otherwise working tweeter was so that I would not have to waste the parts and could donate the complete tweeter out to the community.

8 hours ago, DavidR said:

Is there any signs of ferrofluid residue?

Not on mine. Then again, when I took mine apart I wasn't even aware they had ferrofluid in them!

The speakers must be, what, 40 years old now, so can I assume the removal of any old ferrofluid and the addition of fresh ferrofluid is either ideal for optimum performance, or crucial for the safe running of the tweeters?