Opinions on AR Rock partners please?

Jim Pearce

I picked up a pair of Rock Partners (AV-18's) a few months back for $45.  The cabinets were in bad shape and one of the tweeters was blown, but for me they were a steal.  Why?  I needed new woofers for a pair of AR-17's that I restored, and the Rock Partner's 210037 woofers are almost exact matches for the 17's original 200001 woofer.  

Before I removed the woofer from the fully functional Rock Partner, I compared it to my AR-28's and the AR-17 with the 210037 woofer from the other Rock Partner.  All three sounded about the same.  The bass from the 28b's & the 17 was a little deeper than the Rock Partners, but that probably was due to their slightly greater internal volume. 

My recommendation is that if the Rock Partners you're considering are in good shape and you like their looks buy them for $50.  If you decide later that you don't like them, you can part them out for more than the $50 you paid for them.  Their 210038 tweeters also can be used in a number of other AR speakers.