1,000 words

Guest Bret

That's a 6uF from a 9. Frankly, I was glad to find this. I was afraid I was going quickly deaf in my right ear.

Considering previous experience (shallow as it is), I'm beginning to suspect these little black Callins are the worst offenders.

I'm sorry you couldn't read it.

Bret

Hello Bret

I just rebuilt my AR9ls. there was no output to the tweeters and now with new caps they sound great. you can imagine how i felt thinking a tweeter was bad and having to find a new one. but this was in both speakers. my 98ls sound just fine but they are going to get the same all new caps.

JIm

• 1 month later...
Guest Bret

About 8:00 last night I pseudo- finished re-capping the upper cabinets in my AR-9s. I had previously replaced the 4 and 6uF caps in one cabinet and I haven’t been able to listen to the pair since.

If you don’t have anything to A/B against, or test equipment / analyzers, and with the large spread in the character and quality of recordings, it really *is* difficult to tell when something’s not right. Once I replaced the 4 and 6 in the “right” channel the left was obviously just awful. Until then I’d have said something was wrong with the right channel and the left was correct. I tried blaming it on environmental issues. My current room is truly awful. Changing capacitors showed that a great improvement could be made electrically.

In addition to the 4 and 6uF which I reported on earlier, I found the following values in the cabinets:

Value Measurement

80 = 96.8

80 = 94.6

30 = 37

24 = 26.4

4 = 6.7

40 = 51.5

6 = 26.3

24 = 25.3

30 = 33.8

40 = 51.2

I still have two capacitors to replacing owing to a value in the library schematic’s being wrong, which are the two 8uFs. In the schematic this is shown as a 6uF cap - the one in parallel with the driver across the midrange. As you can see in the above list, this cap was not so bad (still within spec) and I suppose this is some sort of Zobel? Probably not terribly critical to the sound of things, but what the heck? I might as well just replace it and satisfy myself that they are all good.

While I respect the opinions of the multiple people who suggested that we not change our electrolytic caps to poly caps, I could not find what I felt was a suitable electrolytic capacitor. If Sprague were still in business and still making Compulytic capacitors in the necessary values I would have used those.

Instead I bought North Creek capacitors (hoping not to repeat the grain experience of the pre-formed Solen caps). These were not inexpensive. I spent right at $360 on them. The 4 and 6uF in the tweeter circuit are “Crescendo” film and foil, the rest are all the “Zen.” I didn’t “bypass” or “cascade” anything and the only two compound capacitors are the 80 and the 24. (50+30 and 20+3.9)

Guest Bret

Stray thought:

Maybe one of you engineering types could make an educated guess as to why the 6uF tweeter caps are taking such a beating in the AR-9.

Bret

>

>Instead I bought North Creek capacitors (hoping not to repeat

>the grain experience of the pre-formed Solen caps). These

>were not inexpensive. I spent right at $360 on them. The 4

>and 6uF in the tweeter circuit are “Crescendo” film and foil,

>the rest are all the “Zen.” I didn’t “bypass” or “cascade”

>anything and the only two compound capacitors are the 80 and

>the 24. (50+30 and 20+3.9)

>

Good choice Bret in capacitor suppliers and, capacitor brands for that matter. However, don't loose heart after you've installed all those goodies if they do sound a bit 'grainy'. It's not poor quality. It's simply newness. I recommended in another post that you buy (if you haven't got one already) a test CD like those offered by Stereophile magazine. Get one with a pink noise track. This all assumes, of course, you do play CD's. Que up the pink noise track, set the player on "repeat" mode when you leave the house for the day with it playing fairly loudly (90 db or so) and let it play all day for a day or two. This exercise will break in those new caps and smooth them out and make that grain dissapear to be replaced with sonic euphoria!

Enjoy.

Carl

Carl's Custom Loudspeakers

Guest Bret

I'm pleased to be able to say that although I think I can occasionally hear just a "hint" of grain in a violin string it is nothing at all like the graininess of the brand-new Solens.

All day I have found it nearly impossible to leave the sweet spot.

Gorgeous sound. More than once I've forgotten to listen to the equipment and ended-up accidently listening to the performance.

Bret

Hi Bret,

You mention this 6 uf that measures 26.3:

>6 = 26.3

It is much more likely that this cap has become so leaky that your meter is not giving a reliable reading. You should measure the leakage on the highest ohms scale of your meter. It should be essentially an open circuit at least 10s to 100s of mega ohms. It's important to replace leaky caps, the system shouldn't even be played until they're replaced.

Pete B.

>Stray thought:

>

>Maybe one of you engineering types could make an educated

>guess as to why the 6uF tweeter caps are taking such a beating

>in the AR-9.

>

>Bret

Is that 6uF an electrolytic capacitor?

Archived