AR92 refurbishing

DavidDru

6 hours ago, CYNR said:

I did this while waiting for my coffee/chocolate grill cloth, they got a few likes on AK but it was never going to be permanent.

Lonny

80.JPG.7cb145260f7122374eb76a15ebcbdc4a.JPG90.JPG.46aed8a57ea9a7373f2c26aba11ea216.JPG

Drifting somewhat from original subject, these do look nice and snug ready for the winter ! But perhaps questionable regarding acoustic transparency ?

8 hours ago, Norman Nicolai said:

The new veneer looks absolutely fabulous!

I’m currently working on restoring a set of EPI 100’s with wood grained vinyl. I was considering replacing the vinyl with a wood veneer, but was undecided about whether it could be done. I may use your work as inspiration and go for it!

Go for it.  The easy part of veneering these 92's is that it is just the 2 sides and top. no edges.  It is a process though to go through on terms of painting the back bottom and face, veneer and spray lacquer that is mapped out.  I probably could have veneered the fronts as well but the acoustic blanket, while it did come off mostly in-tact, did leave behind considerable gunk that was just easier to cover back over when I reglued the blanket back on.

It looks like you will have some edges to contend with and maybe even an inner lip on the EPI's.

So yes, I was able to get the blanket off in-tact.  All I did was pry under it with a firm putty type knife slowly and surely.  Maybe even a wide chisel and hammer along the way when encountering resistance.  The bottom was a mess as AR used some pretty aggressive adhesion (I think it was some sort of sticky back on the back of the blanket as opposed to glue).  But since it was going back on, it wasn't that big of a deal.  I simply tried to get the blanket off as much in-tact as possible and I'd say it was about 98%.  To re-attach it, I used contact cement on both surfaces and applied a board over it with some weight for the night.

Just need to be very careful with the foam pieces around the tweeter and mid.  Those are held on with velcro pads.

I removed the sticker on the plastic piece to get to the screws that held it on.  It's a thick plastic sticker so I applied a little heat and once it started coming off, it came off pretty easily.  The acoustic blanket is slightly tucked under the plastic piece.

Filled the old grill peg holes once I removed the plastic cups with epoxy to hold a magnet in and then bondo.  If going with magnet to magnet contact you gotta make sure you get the magnet installed in the correct direct in both the speaker and grill.

Didn't take a ton of photos but here are a few.

0420210903.thumb.jpg.a7ae51f1c2dd88d8857196f04efc2c56.jpg0420211546.thumb.jpg.9f160e3d4d8558b2eb62561f71bfe81f.jpg0419212017.thumb.jpg.e592025e7074ab0bbd51e0f9da8d3fd1.jpg0421211709_HDR.thumb.jpg.f2045bd29339010c37150dfd5d9fe66a.jpg0422212018_HDR.thumb.jpg.d0173088a190965359a8ad9be4fc3cb3.jpg