AR92 refurbishing

DavidDru

Picked up a fairly clean set of AR92 last month.  All drivers work and they sound good.  Even the acoustic blanket is fully in-tact.  Grills too.

I got these for only $40 so I have some room in them to put a little into them so I am going to put some respectable real wood veneer on them.  Of course a recap as well.

0714201904.jpg

0714201904a.jpg

0803201538a.jpg

0803201538c.jpg

0803201539.jpg

Removed the woofers.  They appear to have been refoamed at some point.  One less thing to do!

The vinyl came right off after heating it up a little with the heat gun.   The edges here and there need to be cleaned up.

As of now I'm thinking the fronts will stay the dark brown, unless I have get a new creative idea along the way.  It would be best to not to have to work around the felt and the plastic piece.  Anybody have any experience with successfully removing either?  

0803201501a.jpg

0805201126.jpg

0805201048.jpg

0805201008.jpg

Those look like they're in great shape. $40 might qualify as the buy of the year - well done!

The Acoustic Blanket is difficult to remove without damage, since the entire surface is attached to the cabinet with double-faced adhesive. 

If you're feeling lucky, maybe try that heat gun? :mellow:

24 minutes ago, ar_pro said:

Those look like they're in great shape. $40 might qualify as the buy of the year - well done!

The Acoustic Blanket is difficult to remove without damage, since the entire surface is attached to the cabinet with double-faced adhesive. 

If you're feeling lucky, maybe try that heat gun? :mellow:

Yeah, that' was my impression too.  How about the plastic piece?  I don't feel any screws on the inside.

The large 80uF caps tested at 86 and 89.  I nee to test them with my computer to see about ESR etc.

The 100uf Callins caps in my AR91's tested close like your 80's. The 24uf were way off. Interesting to see they are rated 50VDC. I went back with Mundorf E-Cap Plain. I would guess the 82uf and 22uf + 2.2uf in parallel might work. No problems with the lower voltage of these caps so far. I have never herd the 92's but yours are going to be exceptional with the wood veneer. Great acquisition.

My advice would be to refrain from trying to remove the acoustic blanket and instead mask it off and place plastic bags over it. Be careful with the amount and strength of the masking tape as it can pull up the fabric.

I have a set of AR92s in my garage where I removed the blanket. It took a lot of white spirit and scraping. I don't recommend it. I didn't do this on my AR90s which I sanded and resprayed. The paint went right up to the blanket, even with the masking and came out great. The 92s were a barn find so they haven't received any more thought or love yet. Can confirm two wood screws under the sticker on the front too.

• 7 months later...

I would just veneer around anything that's going to be hidden beneath the grill anyway.

None of the felt or foam pieces are available as replacements. Unless you can come up with a way to make them yourself, your best bet is to preserve what you have.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a chance to get a pair of AR 92 cabinets for $50, but they are missing tweeters, mids, and have junko woofer replacements in them. The crossovers are there and seem to be in good condition..... but I would probably rebuild them also..... I love to bring vintage and hifi stereo equipment back to life, but I'm afraid that these are too far gone..... any input? bitlife pc jiofi.local.html

8 hours ago, takefive said:

I have a chance to get a pair of AR 92 cabinets for $50, but they are missing tweeters, mids, and have junko woofer replacements in them. The crossovers are there and seem to be in good condition..... but I would probably rebuild them also..... I love to bring vintage and hifi stereo equipment back to life, but I'm afraid that these are too far gone..... any input?

I think it would be best to pass and look for a set of 92s with their drivers still intact.  Where are you located?

• 5 months later...

Those look great! Good to know the vinyl came off so easily. Interested to see how the grilles come out and why you removed the peg sockets.

Thanks folks.  I've got them hooked up right now to a Marantz Model 250 amp and the combo has a lot of authority.  Sounding and performing great thus far.

The front I painted a dark burgundy to compliment the mahogany.  The backs are black as are the bottoms.

Need to shop a bit for grill cloth as I'd like something more than the usual black, brown, grey or white.

6 hours ago, DavidDru said:

Need to shop a bit for grill cloth as I'd like something more than the usual black, brown, grey or white

I did this while waiting for my coffee/chocolate grill cloth, they got a few likes on AK but it was never going to be permanent.

Lonny

80.JPG.7cb145260f7122374eb76a15ebcbdc4a.JPG90.JPG.46aed8a57ea9a7373f2c26aba11ea216.JPG

The new veneer looks absolutely fabulous!

I’m currently working on restoring a set of EPI 100’s with wood grained vinyl. I was considering replacing the vinyl with a wood veneer, but was undecided about whether it could be done. I may use your work as inspiration and go for it!