Acoustic research mst

Robert young

Thanks Genek

one more question if I may 

I have the original mst woofers re coned by Wembley loud speakers but they never sounded right afterwards,they were re coned because the amp fried the voice coils,is there anywhere I could get the correct voice coils fitted or maybe an alternative woofer that would work better ?

the sound now is very midrange oriented and the bass is virtually gone 

and the speakers had great solid bass before.

Robert -

You could contact Bill Legall at Millersound: (215) 412-7700

He has undoubtedly seen this sort of thing before, and could best advise you regarding repair or replacement.

If you have the original woofers, maybe it's just a question of installing the proper surround, and maybe a new VC.

This woofer has an extremely light cone, very compliant (soft) spider, and a semi-sealed light surround. Unless the repair shop was very familiar with this woofer it is likely one or more of these items were overlooked. The voice coil is the least likely aspect of the rebuild to be the issue. If you are able to find a couple of used original AR-4x woofers your problem would be resolved. I'm not aware of any repair service with the appropriate parts.

Roy

As everyone can see my replica mst project is going well,I have opted for the mst1 configuration,at the moment I’m tweaking and playing around to get the sound right/nice,the speakers are in black primer at the moment but will be sprayed jet black gloss when finished,So I’m going for a more modern exterior but the internal of the speakers are the correct dimensions,and the plan is to use small full range speakers in the place if the tweeters until I can gradually replace them with the original Roy Allison tweeters as and when they come up on the market??I have been recommended by a speaker restoration company that the Monacor sph210 woofer is a good substitute for the original woofers,the woofers shown are the original mst woofers from my fathers mst’s that we’re blown by his amplifier,but as I said in a previous post they were re coned and never had any bass afterwards and unfortunately I’m not sure the exact re cone kit to buy, and I’ve seen they are as expensive as a new diver.
Any suggestions criticisms are welcomed 

2FA54FB8-B303-4E99-8653-696FB86B8150.jpeg

3676E8CF-545F-4F17-A9D9-076011F2A949.jpeg

FABBA57A-A049-4F78-9FBF-50ECC162950F.jpeg