EPI M150W restoration project

Woofer-01

Looking for suggestions on a FABRIC textured grill cloth.

Here are some pictures from my restoration project. These were original owner speakers I purchased in 1974 and dragged all over the world during my 25-year military career.

Rebuild crossovers, New "Human Speakers"  Driver (thanks Huw Powell), and internal bracing added

I have ad a few samples I have tried and am not happy with the results.

The most promising ended up being a plastic product.

20200425_103057.jpg

20200425_103158.jpg

I have a set of EPI M100 Speakers in walnut veneer. I purchased them in the fall and rebuilt them over the winter. The original grill cover fabric was in good shape, but I've never been a fan of the EPI black fabric so I replaced it with an off white linen, very similar to what you would find on early AR speakers. I did not add the EPI logos that came with with the speakers to the grill cloth so the look is very clean. Also, the linen had a good WAF compared to the original black, so it was a keeper.

• 4 weeks later...

After my previous post I have been meaning to post a photo of how the EPI 100's look with a white linen grill cloth. Not the original EPI look, but a "Classic" speaker look just the same.

IMG_0213.thumb.JPG.ac4703aab197ae91055a1171a043b4ee.JPG

It is a great look!

But more than a great look, they also have a wonderful sound, very natural and non-fatiguing. I can listen to them all day long. 

They are the early model M100 speakers with the original rubber surrounds and inverted paper dome tweeter mounted on Masonite. When I got them late last year I refinished the wood cabinets, beefed up the internal wiring, replaced the single capacitor crossover, and swapped the existing speaker terminals for binding posts. I fooled around with different receiver pairings and settled on a restored vintage tube receiver, a Sherwood S8000IV. I don't have the system hooked up to a turntable, but I listen to a good deal of FM and some digital music through a DacMagic 100.

They are the speakers for my bedroom system and even my wife approves of their appearance!