AR-6 v AR-4xa

Ableburger

Earlier this year I bought a pair of AR-4xa’s and love them. Great high end and while the bass is not thumping it’s clear and precise. 

Some AR-6’s came up that needed reforming so I picked them up. First thing I notice despite boxes a little larger they are significantly lighter. 

When I removed the woofer on the first box had a look at the crossover. A very simple design. 

Did AR introduce the 6 as a lower cost version of previous small speakers will lower spec/simpler components? I haven’t finished the second speaker so yet to listen to them.

I read there are numerous versions of the 6. I’m in the U.K. and mine have lovely light coloured wood with bevelled edge (unlike my 4xa’s squares edge), multicoloured stuffing (wool type not fibreglass so ok to handle), two way switch and light speckled backs. Due to good condition, other than foam, they feel like a late version. 

Any  insights welcomed,

Cheers

Jon

Salisbury, UK.

4 hours ago, Ableburger said:

Did AR introduce the 6 as a lower cost version of previous small speakers will lower spec/simpler components? I haven’t finished the second speaker so yet to listen to them.

No. 

Welcome Ableburger.

Look through these post below from member @ra.ra who has not been here in a while but is an enthusiast of 8 inch ARs.  Also look in the library in the classic AR section for info on the AR6 which, in its original version, rivaled 10" ARs for smooth bass output.

Google searches are more difficult now that we have changed our domain name.  The indexing will take time to rebuild if ever.  The site search is not a flexible as google search was but it does work with a little patience.

https://community.classicspeakerpages.net/search/?&q=acoustic research&author=ra.ra&search_and_or=or

The original 6 was introduced after the 4x and was essentially an improved 4x with a cabinet designed to fit on bookshelves that were not deep enough for the 4 series cabinet. It had a similarly complex crossover and had better specs and wider dispersion than the 4x because of its drivers, but when the 4xa followed it with the same drivers you really couldn't tell them apart just by listening.

Later versions of the 6, especially the overseas models, had the simpler crossover. I've never heard any of those, so I have no idea if they sounded different.

Welcome Ableburger, Here are some related threads that may provide you information on your AR 6 speakers. Pictures of your speakers would be interesting to many of the members here.