The Advent 1 Repairs

blachool

Hi folks,

Bought a pair of Advent 1 speakers from a thrift store little while ago for $12. The imgur album below shows just one of the speakers (the one that needs more work done).

https://imgur.com/a/yTQAc1A

After the photos were taken, I ended up swapping out the large woofer with one I bought on eBay for $30. Besides refoaming them (I'll be buying the kit from Simply Speakers - FSK-10A), is there anything else I should look into replacing in these while fixing them up? Any suggestions on how to clean and possibly remove the cloth grill stains?

I'm new to dealing with audio equipment repairs, so any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

If you're replacing speakers in the Advent cabinets i would have a suggestion "if' the speakers you purchased have a funny looking tweeter LEAVE IT! its possibly a "fried egg tweeter' that the Advent creator mr. Henry Kloss designed, the Advents i have are stamped and signed by Kloss as being manufactured on 6/74 if i recall correctly ,those tweeters are invaluable to us modern day Adventors

Hi blachool, and welcome to the forum. Welcome to fr3e, too! Aside from the usual woofer re-foam, the most typical component that gets restoration attention in 45 year-old speakers is the crossover capacitor. It may or may not require replacement, but it is a simple and inexpensive process that gives peace of mind for years to come. See attached link.

Cleaning the grille cloth can be a delicate operation, but many people have had varying degrees of success using various household cleaners, including upholstery cleaners or spot removers for carpets or simple soap/water solutions. I am fairly certain that your Advent cloth is a synthetic fiber, and you should try to keep the rigid grille frames as dry as possible.   

I'll add a welcome to both too.

Ditto on replacing the capacitor.

Regarding the grilles, I don't know what the frames are made of but if these were mine I would find a 40% off coupon and head down to Michael's where they sell CharlesCraft linen in the needlepoint dept. It's about $8 a roll - 40%. Strip off the old cloth, apply the linen as tightly as you can but don't go nuts with it. When the grille is finished use a spray bottle to mist the linen, which is not synthetic and will shrink. Bigo! Nice new tight cloth. I usually also spray on some Scotch-Guard.

Kent

On 3/20/2020 at 6:01 PM, blachool said:

I'll be buying the kit from Simply Speakers - FSK-10A

I would not recommend that kit. It includes a solvent-based adhesive like contact cement that is a PITA to work with and unnecessary for paper cone speakers. I'm not familiar with the Advent/1 so if the cones are plastic yes, use the solvent based glue but AFAIK the woofers are the same as the OLA (paper).

So, if your cones are paper, go with white glue. It's very forgiving, you can smear it with your fingers safely and clean up any squeeze-out or goofs with water. I usually go with SpeakerWorks https://www.speakerworks.com/Advent-Speaker-Repair-Kits-s/115.htm  but many members here and on AK like Rick Cobb https://www.ebay.com/str/looneytune2001

If you already bought the simply speakers kit get Ailles Tacky glue, it works well with Advents and may be found at craft stores or Walmart.  I may not have the correct spelling.  Their Advent surrounds seem fine to me. All of the grills I have appear to be Masonite frames.