Material used to cover fiberglass AR-3a

yoram611

Hi Yoram

Yes, it is paper, called Kimpak but there are better alternatives IMHO. Allison speakers used fiberglass window screening which may be too porous. KLH used 28-count crinoline, which can be found in any fabric store. 

The best alternative comes from CST Jedi Master RoyC: Poly-fil low-loft blanket batting: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Crib-Size-45-x-60-Low-Loft-Batting-1-Each/26003469  Just use a thin layer over the fiberglass instead of the old Kimpak.

And be sure to download the AR-3a restoration guide from the Library: http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/original_models_1954-1974/original_models_schematicss/restoring_the_ar-3a/

Kent

Hi kent,

Thank you so much for the detailed reply, I live in Israel and I am not sure I can get the materials you recommanded here ,

What actually is the main thing I should look for in a material ?  can I use a special cloth they sell here to wipe floors but its a little thicker then the original Kimpak ? does it have to be thin ? if its cloth does it have to be synthetic like polyester or can it be cotton ?

Thanks again

Yoram

Yoram,

You want a thin, somewhat open weave fabric to keep the fiberglass dust away from the woofer. Something like gauze may work but something a little stiffer may be better. Crinoline has been around a long time and may be available. Yes, it should be thin. The actual fiber doesn't matter.

Kent