KLH Model 22A crossover

Norman Nicolai

I’m trying to replace the capacitors in a KLH Model 22A crossover unit. 

The first two photos are the same capacitor, only rolled down to reveal more info on the type of capacitor. It has three wires, two on one side, and one on the other. One of the wires is connected to what I believe is a resistor, shown in the third and last photo.

1. Can I purchase a replacement for this capacitor on Parts Express? If so, specifically what should I be looking for?

2. Should I replace the resistor also? Again, what specifically should I order?

if it is not perfectly apparent from my questions, I am a total novice, so any replies should be worded as if you are talking to a three year old.

BTW, before I took the speakers apart, they did not sound too bad. However, from everything I have read on this Forum and on others, the capacitors on KLH speakers always need to be replaced, being approx thirty years old, which is why I am attempting a replacement, hoping for even better sound from the speakers.

Other than sanding and oiling the cabinets, the only other repair I am considering is is re-doping the fabric on the woofer surrounds.

Thanks!

592513B8-EDDB-4CB4-B2E4-1C4C26E53B85.jpeg

2A7955C0-82B4-4AD2-B342-BD3D3CFFEA13.jpeg

194D5D0D-6DE1-4EA8-9233-49C66FD1C926.jpeg

Yep, it can be a bit confusing. It appears that you have one of those dreaded black/red Temple caps - - or more precisely, a dual cap containing both 8uF and 16uF values. You will need two replacement caps for each speaker cabinet, and I assume the BLUE wire (16uF) goes thru the woofer circuit and the PLAIN wire (8uF) plus the 3-ohm series resistor are connected to the tweeter. Is there an inductor coil in this speaker?.....and please include a frontal pic showing drivers.

Read here for some more discussion.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/klh-22a-speaker-score.720273/ 

Here are some photos of the drivers and the inductor coil that you asked for.

Does this help?

I’m still confused about how to replace the existing capacitors and where the new capacitors would be placed within the circuit.

Thanks.

FCFD6B2D-7E3A-43E8-AB72-B814128EBB7F.jpeg

CB5A3C0F-D624-471D-9F8F-4F21787B460D.jpeg

11184158-3044-4B8C-8E6F-7EB5A98E94ED.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Just a final note on this. I never got an additional reply to my post so I started to search a bit more and came up with another posting regarding the KLH Model 22A crossover.

I found a schematic of the 22A replacement crossover in this posting and hoping that it was correct, I ordered the capacitors from Parts Express and put it together. With fingers crossed, I wired the speakers to my HK 3490, selected a source recording and slowly turned the volume up. It worked!

I refinished the cabinets after the speakers were put back together and now have a set of classic vintage KLH speakers, purchased at an estate sale for $30. The 22A's do not have the bass or high frequency response of my restored Model 6 KLH speakers, but they sound better than when I first took them home. They sound somewhat colored by a boosted midrange, so acoustic guitar and jazz sound quite good, especially hooked up to my Sherwood S8000IV receiver.

I will post a photo, eventually.

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2019 at 1:13 AM, Norman Nicolai said:

Just a final note on this. I never got an additional reply to my post so I started to search a bit more and came up with another posting regarding the KLH Model 22A crossover.

I found a schematic of the 22A replacement crossover in this posting and hoping that it was correct, I ordered the capacitors from Parts Express and put it together. With fingers crossed, I wired the speakers to my HK 3490, selected a source recording and slowly turned the volume up. It worked!

I refinished the cabinets after the speakers were put back together and now have a set of classic vintage KLH speakers, purchased at an estate sale for $30. The 22A's do not have the bass or high frequency response of my restored Model 6 KLH speakers, but they sound better than when I first took them home. They sound somewhat colored by a boosted midrange, so acoustic guitar and jazz sound quite good, especially hooked up to my Sherwood S8000IV receiver.

I will post a photo, eventually.

Hello @Norman Nicolaidid you ever get a pic of what you did with this with the new capacitors? Wondering if you did two 4uf in parallel then at 16uf? or just one 8uf and one 16uf connected up? Not sure where to connect these with the way this crossover is laid out.

Thanks!

Hi jhouse55,

The hand drawn schematic from another thread was the best guide I came across. The wiring with the original dual capacitor arrangement was confusing. The schematic made it clear for me.

Frankly, I don’t recall whether I used single capacitors or dual capacitors wired in parallel. As long as they are decent capacitors and the uF matches the schematic, you should be okay.

image.jpeg.80fc6c1cc748b632d1cfa61e11351b2f.jpeg